Jets news articles 6/7/08

Kentucky Jet

NY POST

The New York Jets signed wide receiver Marcus Henry, their sixth-round draft pick, and waived undrafted free agent long-snapper Nick Jarvis. The announcement was made today by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Henry (6'4", 207), the 171st overall pick by the Jets, finished his career at Kansas with 104 catches for 1,598 receiving yards (15.4-yard avg.) and 13 touchdowns in 46 games with 29 starts. He is the Jets

Quick Hits: Final Thoughts, News & Notes From Hempstead

Saturday, June 07th 2008, 2:05 am by Gary Grund

The Jets have been featured on the front of the new Sporting News magazine, with the entire starting offensive line filling out the cover.

The Jets have signed sixth-round draft selection, wide receiver Marcus Henry, according to Newsday

Gholston finally gets to join Jets at practice

By Jane McManus

The Journal News • June 7, 2008

HEMPSTEAD - It was the middle of his first practice, and Vernon Gholston heard the air horn blow to signal a change in station. Some defenders ran down the hill to the lower field, and special-teams players jogged to the left side of the main field. But Gholston slowly turned and looked around.

One tentative index finger went up as if to say, "Where should I be?"

"It looked a couple of times like he needed directions out there on the practice field," coach Eric Mangini said.

A moment later, Gholston was beckoned to the sideline. The No. 6 draft pick, who arrived at the Jets' mandatory mini-camp yesterday, is a little behind.

"I got a lot of catching up to do," Gholston said.

But this late mini-camp arrival was no holdout. An NFL and NCAA rule stipulated that the junior from Ohio State could not join his pro team until the senior class there graduated. Gholston actually withdrew from classes in preparation for the draft in April, but he still had to abide by the rule.

While the other rookies attended optional workouts, Gholston was studying the playbook in Ohio. When they were building camaraderie with team events such as a swanky midtown tasting party, Gholston was packing and looking for a new place in New Jersey.

After he arrived, one of those rookies took him aside and told him he better know who his teammates are. First order of business, Mangini had him go around and name all 85 players in the room.

"I did OK," Gholston said. "Some said I could've done better."

If he offended any of the veterans he couldn't put a name to, he couldn't tell by the way he was treated. Those players were what made this so different from the rookie mini-camp back in April.

Fellow linebacker Eric Barton took Gholston aside to welcome him.

"Those guys came up to me and said if I have any problems or questions, come ask them," Gholston said. "And that's big for me, coming up here the first time and not even knowing where to line up in a lot of situations, just trying to lean on them. And they helped me out a lot."

A lot of players can relate to the position he is in, coming into his first experience practicing with professionals after a college career.

"With Vernon, we have 50-some defenses and he's just coming into it right now," safety Eric Smith said. "He had stuff at home to study, but it's a lot different from being here, getting it taught to you and actually running it."

Gholston was welcomed back by the rookies he got to know at his earlier mini-camp, including Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead.

"I'm sure he's been studying a lot, so I think he'll be all right," Woodhead said.

His fellow rookies did have a little bit of advice for Gholston before he met with the larger group. The first thing: Mangini is going to be hard on him in practice. And the second thing? "Know everybody's name?" Gholston said.

Note: Chris Baker, the Jets' tight end looking to renegotiate his contract, said he "tweaked something" yesterday and spent practice on the stationary bike on the sideline. Later, Mangini said the issue was his back. Baker is publicly angry with a front office that seems uninterested in negotiating with him. He said he can see why it is hard for fans to sympathize. "You've got billionaire owners versus millionaire players. It's hard to understand," Baker said. "But this is our livelihood. This is our job. If I'm your A-No. 1 guy, then pay me like I'm your A-No. 1 guy."

Reach Jane McManus at jmcmanus@lohud.com.

Gholston tested from the start

Jets' top pick finally gets to practice

Saturday, June 07, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y -- Linebacker Vernon Gholston, the Jets' first-round pick, had his toughest assignment of the day before practice yesterday.

Gholston, who worked out with the team for the first time since rookie minicamp, had to name all 85 players on the roster during a pop quiz in the locker room by coach Eric Mangini.

The Ohio State product, selected sixth overall, wasn't allowed to report until yesterday because of an NCAA/NFL rule which prohibits players from reporting until their class semester is over.

"I did okay, but Coach said I could've done better," said a smiling Gholston after the morning practice at Hofstra.

Gholston, who withdrew from school in January to prepare for the draft, said he spent his time in Columbus, Ohio, working out and studying the Jets' playbook. He also took care of several off-the-field issues, including finding a home in New Jersey.

"I have a lot of catching up to do," said Gholston, adding that he had no problem with the rule on the reporting date. "It's a big learning curve, but that's what comes with the job."

The Jets expect the 6-4, 264-pound Gholston, whose bulging biceps rival those of running back Thomas Jones, to help jump-start their sluggish pass rush. He has more than 50 defensive alignments to learn.

"I'm sure his head is spinning," said Mangini. "He looked a couple of times like he needed some direction."

Gholston, who escaped any rookie hazing yesterday during the second day of the team's mandatory minicamp, said the veterans were very welcoming.

Unhappy TE Chris Baker sat out both practices yesterday after tweaking his back during warm-ups before the morning session. When it was suggested the injury was more about his contract than his back, Baker pointed to his willingness to take pain-killing injections last season.

Baker revealed he took pain-killing shots for his back on three separate occasions even though the team was 1-7 at the time of the first injection. He now says he would think twice before doing it again in light of the organization's hard-line stance in his contract dispute.

Baker, who wants his contract reworked, feels a deal could get done if Mangini lobbied on his behalf, but the coach countered that he has total confidence in GM Mike Tannenbaum and won't interfere.

QBs Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens fought to a draw through the four minicamp practices. The team won't practice today. Instead, players will have a team outing at an undisclosed location and then be off until training camp starts in July.

Don't count out first-year QB Brett Ratliff, who has a rocket arm. He quietly had a solid camp and will challenge rookie Erik Ainge for the third spot. Ainge (finger surgery) didn't participate in the camp.

Rookie TE Dustin Keller (picked 30th overall) has been impressive. The Jets are lining him up in different spots and sending him in motion to get mismatches. He has excellent hands.

Meanwhile, WR Chansi Stuckey, a seventh-round pick in 2007 who missed all of last season with a knee injury, has been sensational and it'll be hard to keep him off the field.

Though the Jets are unsettled at the second cornerback spot, they have no interest in disgruntled Eagles CB Lito Sheppard, according to someone with knowledge of the team's thinking. ... The Jets signed WR Marcus Henry, their sixth-round pick, and waived long snapper Nick Jarvis.

Chris Baker still wants dough from Jets

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, June 7th 2008, 2:19 AM

On day 2 of the Chris Baker soap opera, the tight end's bulky back tightened up. But his lips remained looser than ever.

Claiming he had "tweaked something" in the morning warmups, the disgruntled Baker sat out both minicamp practices Friday at Hofstra, fueling speculation that he feigned the injury to send a message to the Jets.

Baker scoffed at such a notion, defending his toughness by revealing that he played last season with an aching back that required three pain-killing injections. Eric Mangini didn't question the legitimacy of the latest ailment, but he made sure to mention that Baker pulled himself out of practice.

"He was not held out," Mangini said matter-of-factly.

The coach also took issue with Baker's accusation that the organization "tanked" last season by alienating guard Pete Kendall and trading him. Mangini said one angry player can't ruin a season, adding, "It's just not a reality."

Baker, upset because the club is refusing to renegotiate his contract, spewed venom for the second straight day.

"I can guarantee you, after this is all said and done, there will be somebody here next year, going through the same thing because of the way things are handled here," he said. "My advice to guys would be, if you're going to do anything with this organization, get it in writing."

Curiously, Baker refused to comment on the specifics of his latest ailment, citing team policy - almost laughable, considering he already ripped management. It was the ever-secretive Mangini, of all people, who identified it as a tight back. Things get weirder by the day.

HEY VERN: First-round pick Vernon Gholston (No. 6 overall) made his offseason debut, working with the second defense. He missed 11 spring practices because of an NFL/NCAA rule that prohibits college players from participating in pro camps until their classes are finished. He looked a bit slow and tentative in pass coverage, admittedly overwhelmed. "It's not his fault he couldn't be here, but it's not like he was getting his master's," Mangini said. "Right in between in 'Judge Judy' and 'Days of Our Lives,' or whatever's on during the daytime, you can study." Three of the five players selected ahead of Gholston already have signed. The Gholston negotiations are in the early stages, according to the Jets.

'GET IT IN WRITING'

BAKER'S TIP ON DEALING WITH JETS

By BRIAN COSTELLO

OVER BAKED: Tight end Chris BakerChris Baker practices with his teammates this week during the JetsNew York Jets ' mini-camp in Hempstead.

June 7, 2008 -- As disgruntled as Chris Baker is about his contract, he still respects the Jets' team rules.

The testy tight end spent yesterday's mini-camp practices on a stationary bike after tweaking his back. But he would not talk about the injury, as per coach Eric Mangini's mandate.

He was more talkative on other subjects, though. For the second day in a row, he ripped Jet management, which he said promised would rework his contract after last season and didn't.

"I've actually tried to avoid this at all costs - every step of the way my agent has been communicating with [GM] Mike [Tannenbaum] and trying to stop this from happening," Baker said.

Baker has two years left on his deal that pays him about $1.65 million per year.

Tannenbaum denies ever telling Baker's agent last year he would redo Baker's contract.

This has been a recurring theme with the Jets, with Pete Kendall last year and Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles earlier this year. Baker said players are noticing a pattern.

"Guys are definitely concerned about it," Baker said. "I can guarantee you after this is all said and done there will be someone out here going through the same thing next year and the following year because of the way things are handled here.

"My advice to guys would be if you're going to do anything, as far as with this organization, get it in writing, because things may be said with a wink and then the next thing you know they say something has been misconstrued. This is three times and, like I said, this is going to continue to happen."

Baker has said he believes the way the Jets handled the Kendall situation last year hurt the team's season. He thinks it could happen again this year with him, but Mangini said he's not concerned.

"I don't think that one guy can affect the group," Mangini said.

Mangini emphasized it was Baker's decision to sit.

"He was not held out," he said.

Some will probably snicker at Baker's injury a day after he made it clear he's not happy here, but he said no one should question him.

"I took three injections in my back three different times last year," he said. "You know what I mean? This was at the point where we were 1-7 and things like that.

"If anybody ever questions whether I want to be on the field or things like that that's up to them, but I could have easily packed it in last year and I didn't do it. And it wasn't like we were fighting for a playoff spot halfway through the year."

First-round pick Vernon Gholston practiced for the first time yesterday after being kept out by an NCAA rule. ... Safety Kerry Rhodes left the morning practice with a right leg injury, but practiced in the afternoon wearing a sleeve on the leg.

brian.costello@nypost.com

June 06, 2008

Baby steps for Gholston

Vernon Gholston certainly looked tentative on his first day of minicamp, but that was to be expected, considering the first-round pick had missed 12 OTAs and the first day of mini-camp because of Ohio State's late spring semester. [Of course, he wasn't even going to class anymore this semester, but rules are rules.]

Still, he did at times flash the speed off the edge the Jets are counting on, although it was mostly in coverage. But pass-rushing is hard to judge in practice anyway considering the QBs are wearing red jerseys. Scouts and his former coaches at OSU have pointed to Gholston's cerebral approach to the game, and presumably that will help him quickly pick up ground in the mental aspects of the game.

And obviously, after it took until mid-August last year to get No. 14 overall pick Darrelle Revis into the fold, GM Mike Tannenbaum would like to do it more quickly this year. The six-year, $60 million contract reportedly doled out to fourth overall pick Darren McFadden by Oakland could increase the price for Gholston, the sixth overall pick. Talks are apparently in the preliminary stage between the Jets and Gholston's agent.

The Jets already have signed two of their six picks, seventh-round OL Nate Garner and today, sixth-round WR Marcus Henry of Kansas. They also released rookie free agent long snapper Nick Jarvis, which means that James Dearth [hamstring], who has been limited at times this spring, should be a full go for training camp.

June 06, 2008 at 11:13 PM | Permalink

Disgruntled TE Baker stands by comments about contract

Associated Press

Updated: June 6, 2008, 8:53 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Disgruntled tight end Chris Baker spent most of the New York Jets' minicamp Friday on a stationary bike. There was no backpedalling, though, from his scathing comments a day earlier about his contract dispute with the team.

"I wanted to actually just have it done quietly and just come out here and play and not worry about anything," said Baker, who tweaked his back early in the morning practice and was on the bike for the afternoon session. "I kind of have been forced into this position."

Baker

Baker, who has asked to be traded, is angry because he insists the Jets told his former agent, Cliff Brady, before last season that they would look into re-doing his contract. His deal currently has two years remaining, but has said the Jets refuse to revisit the contract.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum said Thursday that he and Baker "have a difference of opinion about those conversations." Baker flatly shot down that contention Friday.

"If you want to believe that, you can," he said. "There would be no reason for me to come out and lie."

Baker, who had career highs with 41 catches and 409 yards last season, was asked if perhaps he was faking the injury Friday to send a message.

"You talk about injuries, I took three injections in my back last season," said Baker, who missed a game last season because of his back. "This was at a point when we were 1-7. If anyone questions whether I want to be on the field, that's up to them. I could've easily packed it in last year, but I didn't do that."

Baker was fronted about $700,000 of this year's salary before last season after the team approached him about doing so to help relieve the salary cap. Some might say that could've been viewed a goodwill gesture by the team, virtually guaranteeing him a spot on the roster this season.

"I guess you could perceive it that way, but it was more beneficial to the team," he said. "They asked me to do it and I agreed to do it."

The situation is eerily similar to what happened with guard Pete Kendall last season. Kendall, who has the same agents as Baker, sulked throughout minicamp and training camp last year, repeatedly expressing his desire to be traded if his contract wouldn't be redone. Kendall was eventually dealt to Washington before the season, and Baker warned that he won't be the last to have to have a contract dispute with the Jets.

"Guys are definitely watching," he said. "I'm not going to say any names, but I can guarantee you, after this is all said and done, there will be someone out here next year and the following year because of the way things are handled here. My advice to guys would be, if you're going to do anything with this organization, get it in writing because things may be said with a wink and the next thing you know, they claim something was misconstrued."

Notes

The Jets signed wide receiver Marcus Henry, their sixth-round pick out of Kansas, and waived long snapper Nick Jarvis. Henry is the second of the team's six draft selections to sign, joining offensive lineman Nate Garner, New York's seventh-round pick out of Arkansas.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

NFL Headlines

MVN - a New York Jets blog

The ****pit

Home 2008 Schedule Author Information Depth Chart Friends OTA Day 2 - Stuckey/Keller Step Up, Baker Hurt

By Joe Caporoso | June 6th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Here is some highlights from Day 2 of the Jets OTA

3 players I'm excited about;

Dustin Keller, Chansi Stuckey and yes I actually AM a Brett Ratliff fan...maybe they can put Erik Ainge on the IR with that pinkie or better yet get rid of Chad Pennington altogether who in the 2 minute drill piddled the ball for 3 completions barely making a 1st down-you need a gunslinger back there these days-damn I MISS seeing Jets quarterbacks throwing the bomb-don't you?

Dustin Keller, Chansi Stuckey and yes I actually AM a Brett Ratliff fan...maybe they can put Erik Ainge on the IR with that pinkie or better yet get rid of Chad Pennington altogether who in the 2 minute drill piddled the ball for 3 completions barely making a 1st down-you need a gunslinger back there these days-damn I MISS seeing Jets quarterbacks throwing the bomb-don't you?

Granted i have not been at any practices, but right now (if ainge is healthy) I'd be ok with a Kellen, Brett, Ainge QB situation. Just because a guy isn't drafted doesn't mean ****. Look at all the QBs teams DO draft and see what kind of results, or lack there of, they get.

If Ratliff is a player, don't cut him short just because 100 scouts think Alex Smith is the next best thing and those same scouts thought Ratliff was human garbage.

Granted i have not been at any practices, but right now (if ainge is healthy) I'd be ok with a Kellen, Brett, Ainge QB situation. Just because a guy isn't drafted doesn't mean ****. Look at all the QBs teams DO draft and see what kind of results, or lack there of, they get.

If Ratliff is a player, don't cut him short just because 100 scouts think Alex Smith is the next best thing and those same scouts thought Ratliff was human garbage.

I've been intrigued with him ever since Jetcane told us at last year's camp how he looked pretty smooth out there...I am so done with Chad right now MD-it's almost like he's a QB whose time has come and gone-like a player from a past era trying to fit in to the new era-square peg round hole

I've been intrigued with him ever since Jetcane told us at last year's camp how he looked pretty smooth out there...I am so done with Chad right now MD-it's almost like he's a QB whose time has come and gone-like a player from a past era trying to fit in to the new era-square peg round hole

He and Ellis are one of the only players that were even on the team for Chad's "magical" 3/4 year campaign. Maybe Dearth was out there too, but come on, Chad is done.

I would hate to see Ratliff be scooped up by someone else and be a very compitent backup or starter for them.

:confused:

How the crap? Get him a roster spot. :)

My thinking as well. Brett Ratliff? Over Brad Smith and Justin Miller? Huh? :eek:

I don't think Ratliff is going to make this team, but maybe he's picked up by somebody once he's played on the Practice Squad or released.

He and Ellis are one of the only players that were even on the team for Chad's "magical" 3/4 year campaign. Maybe Dearth was out there too, but come on, Chad is done.

I would hate to see Ratliff be scooped up by someone else and be a very compitent backup or starter for them.

See I just don't understand this starter talk. Until he actually makes an NFL roster, its silly to speculate he could be anything more than a 3rd stringer / PS guy.

As for Chad's "magical" 12 game season, don't forget about Laveranues Coles.

I was going to post this exact thing. Ratliff was hidden last year. He didn't get a single snap in a preseason game, then was placed on the PS. Very unusual. I think the CS was impressed with him in practice, and didn't want to show the rest of the league how strong his arm was.

I also think they could get away with putting Ainge on IR because of the surgery he had on his right pinkie if Ratliff continues to "wow em" Suspect that's what happened with Stuckey last year. Had a great camp, still had some lingering foot problems. Was hard to roster him because of McCarrins, so off to IR.

Pennington will be on the team this year. If it turns out that Clemens can play football, he, and perhaps Coles will be traded in the offseason. I think Coles is planning on making more noise about his contract next season.

SoFlaJets: for us tpo lose a prospect for a QB that we know can not throw the ball where it needs to go, would be a crime. Plus IMO CHAD is vastly overpaid! I think that as long as CHAD is a JET, Kellen has to look over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake. No QB can survive that way! Let the kid play and learn unimpeeded. If he can not cut it or show mucho signs of being able to cut it, we have to get a QB in next years draft. but we must aslo find out about RATLIFF & AINGE. Bill Walsh used to say" get a QB every year. Give him time to develop". You never know what you have! He took a barely successsful STEVE YOUNG from TAMPA. He turned out OK! KURT WARNER played in the ARENA LEAGUE. He has done OK too. They both got a chance to play unimpeeded and look at the results. Every QB is different. ELI took 4 years to develop. AIKMAN sucked in his first year. They stayed with him and he rewarded them! Give Kellen time. I have a feeling that he will do just fine.

Link: Pennington Working on Mechanics

Posted on June 7th, 2008 by Bassett

For those who have been fixated on Chad Pennington’s errant throws this spring, it seems someone from the press had the bright idea to ask questions on which the QB (and fellow teammates) aren’t ball-gagged.

So what’s up with the technique Pennington? Here’s some compiled quotes from a rather excellent Sporting News article.

“The biggest point of emphasis for me right now is I’m changing mechanical issues with my throwing motion,” Pennington said after a Thursday morning workout. “I really went back and studied it, and I want to really focus on it to where I gain more consistency with my throws, be more consistent with the velocity and really take it to the next level.”

“Changing the ball placement, how I’m holding the ball, would be No. 1,” he said. “No. 2, I’m changing the actual motion and trying to incorporate more of a torque and twisting action with my upper body to where I can really incorporate my hips more.

“I want to be more compact with the throw and not be an all-arm thrower. When you’re an all-arm thrower, you lose that consistency because some days you have it and some days you don’t. If you really rely on your hips and your core and get a torque with the throw, that creates consistency, no matter what your arm feels like.”

“I’ve still got work to do,” he said of his new motion. “It’s one thing to do it against air when you are by yourself and honed in on it. But when you have the reads and the footwork, and 22 guys on the field, your body tends to revert back to the old way.”

This might stand to reason on why in the recent OTAs he was having trouble hitting uncovered targets in passing drills … he’s working out the hitch in his throw, and it obviously feels different to him.

Color me dubious, as Pennington has uttered similar words during the spring/summer of 2006, when he was coming back off his second shoulder rehab, and talked about using his hips more to generate power. I can’t say that I saw a marked improvement on the speed of his passes, maybe if anything they had equal velocity to his passes before shoulder sugery.

SoFlaJets: for us tpo lose a prospect for a QB that we know can not throw the ball where it needs to go, would be a crime. Plus IMO CHAD is vastly overpaid! I think that as long as CHAD is a JET, Kellen has to look over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake. No QB can survive that way! Let the kid play and learn unimpeeded. If he can not cut it or show mucho signs of being able to cut it, we have to get a QB in next years draft. but we must aslo find out about RATLIFF & AINGE. Bill Walsh used to say" get a QB every year. Give him time to develop". You never know what you have! He took a barely successsful STEVE YOUNG from TAMPA. He turned out OK! KURT WARNER played in the ARENA LEAGUE. He has done OK too. They both got a chance to play unimpeeded and look at the results. Every QB is different. ELI took 4 years to develop. AIKMAN sucked in his first year. They stayed with him and he rewarded them! Give Kellen time. I have a feeling that he will do just fine.

I'm all for giving Clemens the ball this year and if he falters then I'd rather see what Ratliff or Ainge could do-we already KNOW what we have in Chad and so does the rest of the league and it ain't good enough

Archived