Odd thing with DirectTV last night

Scott Dierking

Since I live in Philly, the Mets Phillies game was to be blacked out on SNY as well as ESPN, just like any other Phillies game.

My upstairs is wired for DirectTV only, but my basement has both DirectTV and Cable, and on those blackout nights, I usually just retreat to the basement.

DirectTV has this new option where if you turn to a blacked out channel, it will conduct a search on the rest of the spectrum of channels to see if it can find a channel where the game would not be blacked out. I knew that there would be no chance of this.

Well, surprise, surprise, it actually found an "easter egg" of a channel. Channel 9323 which was labeled as "Test" and could not be tuned to manually (punching in the numbers). The only way you could get to it was through the auto search of the blackout function.

The feed was the regular ESPN feed.

Anybody else have these Easter eggs turn up in black out feeds?

Since I live in Philly, the Mets Phillies game was to be blacked out on SNY as well as ESPN, just like any other Phillies game.

My upstairs is wired for DirectTV only, but my basement has both DirectTV and Cable, and on those blackout nights, I usually just retreat to the basement.

DirectTV has this new option where if you turn to a blacked out channel, it will conduct a search on the rest of the spectrum of channels to see if it can find a channel where the game would not be blacked out. I knew that there would be no chance of this.

Well, surprise, surprise, it actually found an "easter egg" of a channel. Channel 9323 which was labeled as "Test" and could not be tuned to manually (punching in the numbers). The only way you could get to it was through the auto search of the blackout function.

The feed was the regular ESPN feed.

Anybody else have these Easter eggs turn up in black out feeds?

Never heard of that before. Pretty cool.

Is your DTV a new unit ?

I have a DTV HD-DVR, with authorization for the NYC feed of both FOX and CBS, so I get all my Jets games for free.

How did you execute that search? Was it automatic or did you have to do it manually?

As soon as a blackout channel is indicated, it begins (automatically) a search function and gives a message on-screen that it is searching other channels for you where the black-out may not apply.

This has been doing this for about a month. I think it is a recent upgrade.

Normally, it will tell me that it found no other stations, and list the blacout regulations.

To my surprise, yesterday it located this "rogue" channel.

I have the new HD-20 receiver. Got it about a year ago. Try tuning to a blacked out game sometime, and it should kick in this feature.

As soon as a blackout channel is indicated, it begins (automatically) a search function and gives a message on-screen that it is searching other channels for you where the black-out may not apply.

This has been doing this for about a month. I think it is a recent upgrade.

Normally, it will tell me that it found no other stations, and list the blacout regulations.

To my surprise, yesterday it located this "rogue" channel.

I have the new HD-20 receiver. Got it about a year ago. Try tuning to a blacked out game sometime, and it should kick in this feature.

Sweet. I have the same receiver, just haven't had to worry about blackouts for a while I guess.

I'm bringing my DTV with me to my new crib when I move in with my fiance` in a few weeks. Homey just can't give up 16 free Jets games a year. :D

Archived