NY Jets articles 9/20/08

Kentucky Jet

JETS EXPECTING COLES TO HEAT UP

Comments: 0 Read Comments Leave a Comment By MARK HALE with AP

Posted: 3:26 am

September 20, 2008

Though Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles is off to a slow start with his new quarterback, Brian Schottenheimer insists he's not worried about Coles and Brett Favre.

Through two games, Coles hasn't scored a touchdown or had a major impact.

But yesterday Schottenheimer, the JetsNew York Jets ' offensive coordinator, expressed his confidence in the duo.

"They're going to be fine," he said. "And it's still early.

"And there's no need for us to get too concerned."

It has been only two games, and Coles was at least more productive with Favre in Week 2 than in Week 1.

In the season opener against Miami, Coles was nearly invisible - one catch, five yards. Last week against New England, he caught three passes for 72 yards, including a 54-yarder.

Coles talked last week about how he hadn't yet been able to replicate with Favre the type of relationship he had with Chad PenningtonChad Pennington .

Yesterday, he said that when it comes to working with Favre so far, it has been more about Favre becoming familiar with the Jets' offense.

"The most important thing is him getting comfortable with the system," said Coles, who hasn't caught a TD in his last seven games. "His relationship with me right now isn't the most important thing.

"We don't have a lot of time, and the most important thing right now is winning ballgames."

Suffering from an ailing thigh, Coles has been limited in practice this week.

"The most important thing for me now is getting healthy," the 30-year-old said.

How long does it take for Coles to adjust to a new quarterback?

In 2003, he left the Jets for the Redskins and ended up catching passes thrown by Patrick Ramsey and Tim Hasselbeck - hardly a Hall-of-Fame duo. Coles went to the Pro Bowl that season.

Earlier this week Favre said "the chemistry [with the wideouts] has gotten a lot better."

And with Coles and Favre specifically, Schottenheimer sees progress.

"I think they're definitely getting comfortable with one another," he said, pointing to one of Coles' catches against the Patriots as evidence.

LT PRACTICES

LaDainian Tomlinson returned to practice in a limited role yesterday and is listed as questionable for the Chargers-Jets game on Monday.

Tomlinson, who jammed his right big toe in the season-opening loss to Carolina, missed practice the previous two days.

"It went OK," Tomlinson said. "I did what I wanted to do. I didn't expect to do full participation but I wanted to get out and do some stuff running the football. It definitely is a lot better than last week. That's the exciting part about it.

"But at that same time, I'm going to be realistic about it. I'm pretty sure on Monday, I'll probably still have a little problem with it but it will be a week better."

Coach Norv Turner said Tomlinson was "limited" during practice. Turner said he isn't sure how much Tomlinson will be able to contribute.

Heats on Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, September 19th 2008, 8:54 PM

Weissman for News

Brett Favre and Brian Schottenheimer

As critics howled all week long about how conservative his play-calling was against the Patriots, Brian Schottenheimer tried to stay focused on crafting a game plan to stay with the high-scoring Chargers.

But the Jets' young offensive coordinator did hear some of the criticism for running three straight times - despite having Brett Favre - and failing to score after having first-and-goal at the 3 against New England.

"I really don't follow it much (but) I obviously know there has been some," said Schottenheimer, who spoke for the first time Friday about the 19-10 loss. "It comes with the territory. Our job as an offense is to score points and you've got to score points to win games."

YOUR BRUSH WITH BROADWAY JOE?

After the Jets failed to score a touchdown when Thomas Jones was stuffed three straight times early in the second quarter, Schottenheimer and coach Eric Mangini were blasted for not utilizing their future Hall of Fame quarterback - who has 445 touchdown passes to his name, many of them coming inside the red zone to his tight ends.

Now, after a week of scrutiny, Schottenheimer, who was the quarterbacks coach in San Diego for three seasons before joining the Jets in 2006, returns to San Diego knowing his offense with Favre has to produce underneath the "Monday Night Football" microscope.

Marty Schottenheimer said his son won't let the recent criticism or emotions of playing against the team that fired his father after a 14-2 season in 2006 affect his play-calling. "It shouldn't bother him," said the former Chargers head coach. "The reality is, if it worked it was the ideal thing to do and then if it didn't work then you are stupid."

Favre said he did not have the option of changing the play at the line with that particular personnel package in the game, but he was able to audible later in the fourth quarter on his touchdown pass to Chansi Stuckey while in a passing formation of three wide receivers.

Schottenheimer explained that when the Jets go with their jumbo package of two tight ends and another eligible lineman as a third tight end, they don't like to audible and risk confusing the lineman or stunting their aggression at coming off the line. Schottenheimer said that in the jumbo package there is the option to call a play-action fake and look for the tight end, but it has to be called in the huddle.

"Brett has got a lot of freedom to do things, but when you are in that goal-line or jumbo package there are so many things you can do," Schottenheimer said. "You don't want to mess around."

While the Chargers' offense is loaded with playmakers and is nothing to mess with after scoring 38 points last week, San Diego's defense has been suspect. It surrendered 39 points in a controversial overtime loss to the Broncos that saw referee Ed Hochuli blow a call on a Jay Cutler fumble late in the game. The Chargers defense allowed wide receiver Brandon Marshall to explode for 18 catches for 166 yards and a touchdown and the Broncos to gain six yards per carry on the ground.

While the Jets will still try to establish Jones, many want to see Schottenheimer and Mangini unleash Favre, who has played some of his best games on Monday nights.

At least one Schottenheimer will be impervious to criticism, win or lose.

"The nice thing about it is that I know one thing on Monday night or Tuesday morning," said the retired elder Schottenheimer. "It won't be affecting me like when I was coaching."

AT THE GATES: CB David Barrett worked with the first team Friday at safety in place of starter Eric Smith and could start perhaps to help cover TE Antonio Gates. ... Patriots LB Adalius Thomas said Jets RB Leon Washington delivered an illegal chop block on him on the play after Thomas sacked Favre and took down Washington at the same time. The league ruled it was a legal block since Thomas was not engaged with a blocker. "I went to a traditional cut block," Washington said. "I don't play to try to hurt anybody."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ker_bryan.html

It was a candid admission rarely heard in an NFL locker room, one that had been shared privately with the team but was stunning when the player made his less-than-flattering self-criticism public.

"My practice habits weren't good last year, and those things carried over to Sunday," said Jets outside linebacker Bryan Thomas during a minicamp in June. "Maybe I got too complacent. In this league, you can't do that. You have to stay on your toes all the time. ... If not, I'll have my (butt) on the sidelines watching and I don't want that to happen."

After four forgettable seasons, Thomas had a breakthrough year in 2006 with 77 tackles and 8 1/2 sacks -- both career-highs -- and cashed in with a new five-year, $25 million contract. But last season, he struggled and finished with just 43 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks.

That resulted in his summertime mea culpa.

The confession must have been cleansing. Through two games this season, he's tied for second in the NFL with three sacks. He has seven tackles, five quarterback hurries and one forced fumble. He has been equally effective against the run and pass.

What happened?

Thomas, a seventh-year pro and former first-round pick (22nd overall in 2002), remember what had earned his big payday.

"I'm just out there doing the things I did in 2006, doing the extra things in practice, staying after practice, working on certain techniques, watching extra film," said Thomas yesterday. "I think that is what has contributed to having a great start.

"Those are the things I wasn't doing last year and I've come back to that this year. After my experience last year, I realize you can't sit back and think it's going to come to you. You have to work at it. You have to have that hungry every play. You have to act, play and train like you're a rookie every single year."

The 6-4, 266-pound Thomas is at the center of a suddenly fierce pass rush that has notched eight sacks in two games, tied for second in the NFL. Last season, the Jets didn't get their eighth sack until the seventh game of the season and their 29 sacks total ranked 25th in the NFL.

The Jets (1-1) will need to rev up their pass rush against the Chargers (0-2) and quarterback Philip Rivers on Monday night in San Diego. Rivers has thrown for 594 yards, six touchdowns and only one interception this season. He has a passer rating of 122.5, fourth in the NFL. He has been sacked only twice.

"You can't let those guys play seven-on-seven and pick you apart," Thomas said.

The addition of outside linebacker Calvin Pace and nose tackle Kris Jenkins has also helped spark the pass rush. Thomas is getting more one-on-one opportunities and is beating his man.

"Bryan was able to go back, objectively look at his performance and be really honest with himself," said coach Eric Mangini. "That's what you're always asking (of players). ... In fairness to him, he now is going into the third year (in this defense). He's making that transition."

Veteran linebacker Eric Barton, his good friend, has helped Thomas find his way. The pair often stay after practice together, watch film together and sit together in meetings. All the while, Thomas peppers Barton with questions.

"I'm real happy for him," Barton said. "You always want to see guys who work hard get results. That's what's happening. And 'BT' is going to keep working hard. The one thing about him is he's never satisfied."

L.T. practices, questionable for Monday's game vs. Jets Story Highlights

L.T. jammed his right big toe in the season-opening loss to Carolina

He aggravated the toe during the second quarter last Sunday

Coach Norv Turner isn't sure how much L.T. will contribute

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- LaDainian Tomlinson returned to practice in a limited role Friday and is listed as questionable for the San Diego Chargers' game against the New York Jets on Monday night.

Tomlinson, who jammed his right big toe in the season-opening loss to Carolina, missed practice the previous two days.

"It went OK," Tomlinson said. "I did what I wanted to do. I didn't expect to do full participation but I wanted to get out and do some stuff running the football. It definitely is a lot better than last week. That's the exciting part about it.

"But at that same time, I'm going to be realistic about it. I'm pretty sure on Monday, I'll probably still have a little problem with it but it will be a week better."

Tomlinson aggravated the toe during the second quarter of Sunday's loss to Denver. Reserve Darren Sproles started the second half, though Tomlinson did see limited action during the final two quarters.

Coach Norv Turner said Tomlinson was "limited" during Friday's practice. Turner said he isn't sure how much Tomlinson will be able to contribute.

"I don't think you know until you get into the game, and that's why you have to have flexibility in your plan."

One thing working in Tomlinson's favor is an extra day of recovery time.

"It will give me some more time. That's why I definitely think I'll feel a lot better," Tomlinson said. "What's the percentage? I'm not sure. We'll have to wait and see."

The Chargers also listed left tackle Marcus McNeill as questionable. McNeill missed each of the first two games because of a neck injury.

Center Nick Hardwick (foot) will miss his third straight game.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Jets' offensive plan: Judicious use of Favre BY KATIE STRANG | caitlin.strang@newsday.com

8:51 PM EDT, September 19, 2008

After incurring scrutiny all week for his play-calling following a 19-10 loss to New England on Sunday, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said he can handle the criticism.

"It comes with the territory," Schottenheimer said. "Our job as an offense is to score points, and you've got to score points to win games. That's what we try to do each and every week."

When the Jets had first-and-goal from the 3-yard line and failed to score a touchdown after three running plays into the line, Schottenheimer was blasted by some for being conservative and not utilizing the Jets' most obvious and potent offensive weapon: Brett Favre.

"We looked at the plan and we felt very good about the runs we had," Schottenheimer said. "The defense New England plays is very similar to ours; we felt very good about those plays. We were running the ball well, and Thomas was having a good game. Unfortunately, we didn't get in."

Glauber's NFL Blog "People can call it conservative or whatever," Favre said, defending Schottenheimer. "Had we run the ball in on one of those three, they're great calls."

Regardless, the Jets have yet to reap the full potential of their veteran gunslinger. Last season, Favre threw 80 passes in his first two games. This season, he has thrown only 48. Some of that is certainly dictated by Favre's comfort level in a new offensive system and familiarity with the playbook, but fans have been left salivating to see more of the future Hall of Famer and his celebrated arm.

Schottenheimer acknowledged that Favre is a great player with exceptional playmaking abilities, but said his play-calling is game-specific.

"When we go into each and every week, we go in with a specific plan, and that plan comes together with a lot of hard work," Schottenheimer said.

Outlines are presented, adjustments are made throughout practices during the week, and the coaching staff receives input from players, including Favre, who Schottenheimer said is very involved. "Then what comes out on game day is what we think is gonna work," Schottenheimer said.

For all the advantages of having Brett Favre at your disposal, there is responsibility to the rest of the offense. No reason to force Favre's arm into the action when building a balanced offense is essential to the team concept. Schottenheimer understands the situation and insists it's not a burden, but a benefit.

"No pressure, it's fun," Schottenheimer said. "The guy's a great player and he's going to help us, and he's going to continue to get better, and that's what we hope to do offensively."

Notes"es: Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson, who did not practice Wednesday or Thursday, is questionable for Monday ... Jets WR David Clowney and K Mike Nugent are out for Monday's game. CB David Barrett, WR Laveranues Coles, and CB-KR Justin Miller are all listed as questionable but are expected to play.

Archived