Let us pray!

Joe must go! =D>

GEORGE MUM ON JOE'S JOB

August 12, 2005 -- Since buying the Yankees in 1973, George Steinbrenner's words have been loud and aggressive. So even when he is almost silent, he still creates noise.

With the Yankees on the wrong side of the playoffs right now, Steinbrenner failed to give his manager, Joe Torre, even the slightest bit of support yesterday.

Two days after saying he was not pleased with Torre, Steinbrenner didn't defend his manager when asked directly if Torre's job is safe.

"I've got nothing to say, fellas," the 75-year-old Steinbrenner said as he strolled into Yankee Stadium for last night's 9-8 Yankee win over the Rangers.

Even after the victory, Steinbrenner wasn't very talkative. Steinbrenner greeted reporters' post-game questions by saying, "Good night, good night, good night," before ducking into his car.

The win apparently wasn't good enough for Steinbrenner to readdress Torre's job status.

Since Steinbrenner questioned Torre Tuesday, The Boss has failed to give his manager even a sliver of a vote of confidence after three chances to do so.

If the Yankees were in first place, the thought of Steinbrenner eating the final two seasons of Torre's three-year contract would be improbable. Torre is guaranteed $14 million over the next two seasons.

The Yankees are five games behind the AL East-leading Red Sox and 31/2 games behind the Angels in the wild card.

After Tuesday night's 2-1 loss to the White Sox, Steinbrenner's words spoke loudly. He was quoted as saying, "I'm not pleased with the manager."

Tuesday, Steinbrenner questioned why Torre chose lefty Alan Embree to face righty Paul Konerko. While Torre had statistics to backup his choice (Konerko entered hitting .209 against lefties, or 75 points worse than he was batting versus righties), Steinbrenner didn't like the decision.

"I don't know why they left the left-hander in," Steinbrenner said.

Archived