Aussie Rules Football in NYC next weekend

Gainzo

As some of you know I play Australian Rules Football for the Boston Demons. We are an amateur Club and compete in the United States Australian Rules Football League (yep, there is a league here).

We will be playing against our archrivals the New York Magpies Saturday August 27th somewhere on Staten Island.

With all the talk about Ben Graham I

cool stuff gainzo. how organized is it? age group? how far does your team travel? is there a season,league?

The league is very organized. We have played in Sarasota, FL and in Philly this year. We have North Carolina coming up to Boston this weekend. There is a national tournament each year. Unfortunately this year it is in Milwaukee.

We start training in April and the season ends in October. We have guys in their early 20's to late 30's playing. A good mix of Aussies and Americans.

I am familiar to where you are going to playing Gainzo- Miller Field in New Dorp section of Staten Island- I have played softball on those fields. How do you set up the width and length of the fields.

I am familiar to where you are going to playing Gainzo- Miller Field in New Dorp section of Staten Island- I have played softball on those fields. How do you set up the width and length of the fields.

How are the fields? Are they in good condition? It is hard finding enough open space for a full sized field. The fields in Australia are oval and are on average 140 yards x 170 yards.

We tend to have softball diamonds as part of the field over here. Trust me, it hurts when you get tackled on hard dirt.

How are the fields? Are they in good condition? It is hard finding enough open space for a full sized field. The fields in Australia are oval and are on average 140 yards x 170 yards.

We tend to have softball diamonds as part of the field over here. Trust me, it hurts when you get tackled on hard dirt.

Sorry to tell you but the fields are not that great- definitely could use better maintenance- pray it does not rain too because of poor drainage

I'm looking for some help in the best way to get to Staten Island on Saturday.

We are going to stay in Stamford, CT Friday night and then head down to the fields Saturday morning. I was thinking the best route would be to take the Triboro Bridge then over to the Verranzano.

Any ideas on the best way to get there?

If it was up to me we would have stayed down by the Meadowlands on Friday night. That would have made the trip to Staten Island a breeze.

I'm looking for some help in the best way to get to Staten Island on Saturday.

We are going to stay in Stamford, CT Friday night and then head down to the fields Saturday morning. I was thinking the best route would be to take the Triboro Bridge then over to the Verranzano.

Any ideas on the best way to get there?

If it was up to me we would have stayed down by the Meadowlands on Friday night. That would have made the trip to Staten Island a breeze.

Gainzo I lived on Staten Island most of my life

from the Verrazano Bridge you are on the Staten Island Expressway- you would take that to the exit for Richmond Road/ Clove Road. Take Richmond Road for couple of miles apx until you get to New Dorp Lane intersection where you want to make a left (gas station on the left)

Follow New Dorp Lane down towards the water and this leads right into on the left Miller Field. There are several of them so I do not know which one you are playing on

Hopefully this helps somewhat

Gainzo I lived on Staten Island most of my life

from the Verrazano Bridge you are on the Staten Island Expressway- you would take that to the exit for Richmond Road/ Clove Road. Take Richmond Road for couple of miles apx until you get to New Dorp Lane intersection where you want to make a left (gas station on the left)

Follow New Dorp Lane down towards the water and this leads right into on the left Miller Field. There are several of them so I do not know which one you are playing on

Hopefully this helps somewhat

Thanks mate. The biggest pain in the ass is getting to the Verranzano. We are going to hit traffic no matter what. How long do you think it will take? I'm guessing an hour from Stamford.

Thanks mate. The biggest pain in the a$$ is getting to the Verranzano. We are going to hit traffic no matter what. How long do you think it will take? I'm guessing an hour from Stamford.

From Staten Island Expressway to Miller field should take maybe 20 minutes or so Staten Island expressway is always a mess to drive on- especially on Sundays though

Once off of there a lot of streets have traffic lights on Richmond Road and even going down New Dorp Lane- expect the worse when planning the time is my suggestion

Faba, you were right about the quality of the fields. I felt like I was in Kansas. The grass was brown and the ground was like cement. Didn't matter though as we won. Chalk up another victory for Boston!

Gainzo

Well good that your rugby team won. Miller fields are the pits as you found out. Good that no one got hurt with the hard surface there that supposedly passes for a grass field.

Archived