Tigers Show Interest In Smoltz

Lil Bit Special

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/dombrowski_confirms_interest_i.html

Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski does not comment on specific free agents often. When asked about John Smoltz on Wednesday, however, he admitted that the Tigers are looking into him, though he characterized it as early.

"John Smoltz is a Hall of Famer. He's from Michigan," Dombrowski said. "I don't know him like some of our other people know him, but I know he's a first-class individual in every respect. I would at least say yeah, I would be interested in exploring that. I don't know medically where that would stand. I don't know financially where that would stand. But, yeah."

The Tigers did receive information on Smoltz, including the video from his workout last week.

-- Jason Beck

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/tigers_smoltz_have_mutual_inte.html

Tigers, Smoltz have mutual interest

Perhaps no day in the last 25 years has as much infamy in Tigers history as the day Detroit traded John Smoltz. The Tigers can't take back the two decades of pitching greatness Smoltz has provided in Atlanta, but they might be able to take back Smoltz for the run in Detroit that he never had a chance to enjoy.

With Smoltz now open to at least exploring options with other teams, the free agent and the Tigers have a mutual interest in a potential return to the Michigan, where the venerable right-hander was born and raised.

The Tigers have requested medical reports on Smoltz, who has begun to pitch in workouts after missing much of the 2008 season to shoulder surgery. And Smoltz, who was born in suburban Detroit and was a high school athlete in Lansing, has an interest in the Tigers.

The 41-year-old Smoltz has the intriguing history of a starter and a reliever over his 20-year career with the Braves, having won 210 games while also racking up 154 saves from 2001-04. He would prefer to be a starter, according to his agent, Keith Grunewald. The Tigers might be able to fit him in as either.

"We wanted teams to know he's available," agent Keith Grunewald said.

Archived