Former Astros pitcher Dave Smith dead

anskyruben

HOUSTON -- Dave Smith, an Astros reliever from 1980-90 and a member of all three Houston playoff teams in the 1980s, died Wednesday of a heart attack. He was 53.

A two-time All-Star reliever with the Astros in 1986 and 1990, Smith finished his Astros career with 199 saves, second on the club's all-time career list behind Billy Wagner. Over a 13-year career that included two seasons with the Cubs, Smith compiled a 53-53 record over 603 appearances, recording a 2.67 ERA and 216 saves.

RIP

My uncle snuck us into the the lower area of Shea when I was a kid and we met Scott. I think the Mets got rid of him right after that.I think he pitched in the days of Craig Swan and Neil Allen.

That's about the right time, but I believe Swanny may have been gone already. Allen went to the Cards in the Hernandez trade.

Scott pitched for the Mets 79-82

Allen pitched for the Mets 79-83 when he was traded

Swan pitched for the Mets 73-84.

Good job. I didnt realize that Swan was there so long. Didn't his arm problems start around '78?

Goes to show you how bad that team was. Remember when Skip Lockwood was the closer and got nailed by a line drive in the chest and was knocked out half the year?

Wait, Swan was really on the Mets in '84? That was Gooden's rookie year. he couldn't have had much of a role.

Good job. I didnt realize that Swan was there so long. Didn't his arm problems start around '78?

Goes to show you how bad that team was. Remember when Skip Lockwood was the closer and got nailed by a line drive in the chest and was knocked out half the year?

Wait, Swan was really on the Mets in '84? That was Gooden's rookie year. he couldn't have had much of a role.

He was released in early May... 10 games pitched. Not well. Gooden was on the team with him for 1 month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/swancr01.shtml

He pitched 250 innings in 79 then 128 in 80...

He was released in early May... 10 games pitched. Not well. Gooden was on the team with him for 1 month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/swancr01.shtml

He pitched 250 innings in 79 then 128 in 80...

Gooden pitched 5 innings in his first start and was relieved by Dick Tidrow. :D

Attendance- 18,925.

The Mets opened the season in Cincy in front of 46,000. then in the next game two days later attendance was 3,921.

Rusty Staub was the only guy on the team with a Rolls Royce

Must be why they traded him.

I remember in themid 70's, they were so cheap, they were saving every batting practice ball so they could be used again and again.

Mrs Payson I believe was a decent person, but once she passed and her family took over, it was horrible.

M. Donald Grant- Yuch

Archived