The Stupid Joba Debate

Morrissey

I think the real Joba debate gets burried under this "Is he a starter or reliever" talk...

The real debate is about 2009 only. Where does Joba help the Yankees more...

If this kid can only put up 130 or so innings how useful will he be over the entire season...when do you put him in the rotation to maximize his worth....

In my opinion, to bring him up in April and to have to economize his pitch count is detrimental to the team.

I think the real Joba debate gets burried under this "Is he a starter or reliever" talk...

The real debate is about 2009 only. Where does Joba help the Yankees more...

If this kid can only put up 130 or so innings how useful will he be over the entire season...when do you put him in the rotation to maximize his worth....

In my opinion, to bring him up in April and to have to economize his pitch count is detrimental to the team.

He's in the 5th spot piney, 5th starters get constantly. It's not going to be that hard to keep him around 140-150. I would also argue, how many 5th starters throw 150 innings? Not too many of them stick around long enough to find out. Both Joba and Hughes are going to have inning limits on them, during the season, there is no way around it, and we aren't the only one's who will have. Rays have it with Price.

Someone people think, since he is on a innings limit, how about we put him in the bullpen, but how is he ever supposed to get to a point where he doesn't need an innings limit if he never pitches enough innings?

I agree with you on that notion. My problem with it is the flip flopping we do throughout the year with this kid. If we start him, start him... if we use him in the pen, let's use him in the pen. With the way the rotation is now I'd like to see him in the #5 spot.

Archived