Some Jets News 2/5

SoFlaJets

Former Raven assistant Matt Cavanaugh on Jets' radar

BY Ohm Youngmisuk

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 2:06 AM

Rex Ryan may be adding another former Raven assistant coach to his Jets staff. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that Matt Cavanaugh is expected to take a job with the Jets, perhaps as quarterbacks coach to replace Brian Daboll.

Cavanaugh has been offensive coordinator at Pitt since 2005. He also worked with Ryan in Baltimore where he was the Ravens' offensive coordinator from 1999 to 2004.

The Jets would not confirm Cavanaugh's hiring yesterday. Daboll joined Eric Mangini as Cleveland's offensive coordinator.

BY MARK HERRMANN | mark.herrmann@newsday.com

February 5, 2009

Here is a way to really tell just how distant "40 years ago" really is. Former Jet John Schmitt, having watched and enjoyed the megastar, multimedia spectacle from Tampa, Fla., Sunday, recalled what passed for pregame festivities at the 1969 Super Bowl: an 8-foot replica of the Statue of Liberty rolling along on a flatbed truck.

"I think the whole thing cost $181," he said yesterday of that 16-7 upset of the Colts. "The difference from then to now is like going from a covered wagon to a trip to the moon."

Here's another way to measure: Emerson Boozer was happy at the Super Bowl 40 years ago that he had signed with the Jets rather than the Steelers because back then the Steelers never won.

That 1969 represented a completely different universe - and not such a bad one - was the theme at a luncheon honoring the champion Mets and Jets. "We made people feel better about their lives at the time," former Met Art Shamsky said during the event, a fundraiser for the American Heart Association, in Manhattan.

It was especially timely for the Jets alumni, three days after they watched the game that they really established as an American institution. "What the Jets did, between the AFL and the NFL, I don't think could ever happen again," Schmitt said.

Boozer said, "You wish, you hope that the franchise gets back to that point. And it will."

His reasoning is that droughts don't last forever.

"I didn't go to Pittsburgh for one reason. They had been in the NFL forever and they had never won anything," he said. "Now look at them, they're on top of the league with six trophies. That's why I think the Jets' time will come."

Schmitt, Joe Namath's former center, has a different reason to be optimistic about his old team.

"I'm really happy that they got rid of [Eric] Mangini," he said. "That guy destroyed every part of the Jets family you could destroy. We as Super Bowl team players were not allowed in camp. We couldn't go in the locker room, the training room. We had no access to the coaches."

He expects that to be different now that the coach is Rex Ryan, whose dad, Buddy, was on the Jets staff at Super Bowl III. "I met Rex when he was 6," Schmitt said.

Should the Jets make it to another Super Bowl, they will find that it is an immensely well-planned extravaganza, unlike the one in 1969. Not all of the details had been hammered out.

"This is true," Boozer said. "There was no champagne for celebration. We went next door and borrowed it from the Baltimore Colts."

Rex Ryan is turning to the college ranks for reinforcement on the JetsNew York Jets ' defensive staff. Kerry Locklin, who a little more than two weeks ago left Fresno State to become Kansas' defensive line coach, will be heading to New Jersey, according to a source close to the Jayhawks' program.

Locklin had been Fresno State's defensive line coach for nine seasons. The Jets lost defensive line coach Dan Quinn to Seattle and assistant defensive line coach Bryan Cox to Cleveland.

Also, Pitt's offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh has resigned and will take a job on the Jets staff, possibly as quarterbacks coach to replace Brian Daboll, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette

February 5, 2009

This was Oct. 7, a postcard morning at Bethpage State Park on Long Island. Joe Namath was holding his annual "March of Dimes" golf tournament, which attracted a who's who of former athletes from every sport. One of the celebrities was Larry Grantham, one of the great linebackers of the AFL and a key member of the Jets' Super Bowl III team.

Grantham couldn't play golf that day; he's battling throat cancer and wasn't up to it. But he flew in from Memphis anyway. When I asked him why, he said simply: "I came up for Joe."

We got to talking about Super Bowl III, and I asked him how often he reminisces about that day, the day the Jets shocked the Colts. Without a moment's hesitation, he lifted a hand and said proudly, "Everytime I see this ring."

It was his Super Bowl ring, of course.

"I always wear my ring," Grantham said, his ring sparkling in the morning sun. "I felt like I earned it. I'm proud of the fact that we changed the history of football."

Now, sadly, Grantham is prepared to part with that ring.

Yesterday, there was a story in The Star-Ledger of Newark, written by Jenny Vrentas, which said Grantham has placed his Super Bowl ring on an online auction site. His medical bills are piling up, because of his chemotherapy treatments and recent hernia surgery, and he needs the money. Freedom House, a drug and alcohol counseling center in New Jersey, is conducting a last-minute fundraising campaign to save Grantham's ring.

Grantham, himself a recovering alcoholic (but sober for more than two decades), has made countless visits to Freedom House, raising a reported $1.3 million through golf tournaments over the years. Now Grantham needs the help, but time is running out. The online auction ends at 8 o'clock tonight. If you'd like to make a contribution to help save Grantham's Super Bowl ring, please call the Freedom House at 908-537-6043 or visit their Web site: www.freedomhouse.net.

Grantham, like every player on the '68 Jets, was overshadowed by Namath. But he was the backbone of an outstanding defense, a champion in every sense of the word. He came up for Joe that day in October, but every player on that team will tell you that Grantham has come up for so many teammates and so many friends over the years. Now he needs people to come up for him.

Posted on February 5th, 2009 by Bent

Here is a list of the Jets current unrestricted free agents, along with details of the potential cap space required to resign them (based on their 2008 salary less about 300K each time because only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap). Remember that the Jets are approximately $7m over the estimated cap for 2009 without taking into account the costs of signing these guys.

RB Jesse Chatham: Doesn

February 5, 2009

A week ago at the Super Bowl in Tampa, Ray Lewis refused to discuss his impending free agency as he made the rounds on "radio row" in the media center. On Wednesday night at the Pro Bowl, he was a chatterbox in an interview with Jamie Dukes of the NFL Network.

Maybe the warm Hawaiian breezes loosened him up. (Or a Mai Tai or two.) Or maybe his agent told him to start playing the posturing game. Anyway, the Ravens' linebacker had nice some things to say about the Jets, who - in case you've been sleeping for a month - are coached by Lewis' former defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan.

Lewis spoke highly of Ryan, and when asked about the prospect of a reunion in New York, Lewis said, "That opportunity by itself seems attractive. It sounds right. It's like, wow, if something does happen where I'm not back in Baltimore, hmm, the Jets wouldn't be bad."

Discussing the possibility of playing in the No. 1 media market, Lewis said that would be a positive, not a negative. Referring to New York, Lewis said "it's a young Jets team that has a lot of talent across the board where if you (add) 52 in that equation, that team goes from being okay to 'Let's go win this.' That scenario by itself is always attractive."

Chew on that, Jets fans

The Denver Post reports that as part of a Pro Bowl prank, Nick Mangold helped push Broncos QB Jay Cutler into a pool, which "fried" Cutler's blood-sugar monitor.

The paper reports that Cutler, a Type 1 diabetic, was able to find a replacement later in the day.

Kerry Locklin was named the defensive line coach for the Jets today, and Mike Devlin will stay on as the assistant offensive line and tight ends coach. That means there is just one more coaching spot to fill, the quarterbacks coach. It would be nice to know who the quarterback is when filling that spot.

Brian Bassett at The Jets Blog has done a great job of getting Jenny Vrentas

The Denver Post reports that as part of a Pro Bowl prank, Nick Mangold helped push Broncos QB Jay Cutler into a pool, which "fried" Cutler's blood-sugar monitor.

The paper reports that Cutler, a Type 1 diabetic, was able to find a replacement later in the day.

way to go Nick.. :confused:

Archived