Chris McAllister Released - "And we're off ...."

JMJ

No link yet. Just heard on the radio.

I'm not going to speculate or "want" either way when it comes to any Ravens defenders. Nobody knows them better than Rex so if he signs one or more of them, I'm all for it. If he doesn't, I'm all for that also.

From a Raven's fan:

McAlister always did whatever McAlister wanted. When he was playing incredibly well, and when the Ravens were all about a bunch of me-first guys, there was no problem. Now that his skills are in decline, but in particular, now that Harbaugh has made the Ravens all about the Team, McAlister quickly wore out his welcome.

He engaged early-on in a test of wills with Harbaugh and lost. He was just terrible in the Ravens' Week 6 torching at Indy, and got benched the following week in Miami when he came strolling into the lobby with a couple of women on Sunday morning -- late enough that some fans from Baltimore were already up and in the lobby to see him coming in, so that word quickly spread in Baltimore.

McAlister never played again, as the Ravens' 2-3 start turned into a 9-2 finish. I think his benching was key in selling Harbaugh's Team concept to the veterans, as they saw that there would be consequences for negative behavior. From that point on, McAlister developed a mysterious "injury" that lingered for several weeks before he finally had "surgery" that ended his season. There is still some question in Baltimore about whether or not he was really hurt, whether Harbuagh told him to leave, or whether he took off on his own.

All that being said, he still has a ton of ability when motivated to play. I think getting run out of Baltimore, combined with the need for him to sign an incentive-laden, short-term deal that will set him up for a big 2010 payday, will produce an outstanding 2009 season from McAlister.

But I doubt Rex Ryan will want anything to do with him. And I also keep hearing the Jets have cap issues, though maybe that went away with Favre.

Farewell, CMac. You were a #####, but it's no coincidence the Ravens D took off in 1999 once you joined the team. Your ability to single-handedly shut down top WRs launched thousands of blitzes and allowed the Ravens to conceal Duane Starks' limited skills with double coverage, and your size and willingness to take on RBs played a big part in setting the NFL's all-time record for fewest rushing yards allowed.

No link yet. Just heard on the radio.

I'm not going to speculate or "want" either way when it comes to any Ravens defenders. Nobody knows them better than Rex so if he signs one or more of them, I'm all for it. If he doesn't, I'm all for that also.

It is hard to believe that at 31, he is finished. He was one of the best. But I am with you. No one will know better than Rex about how much he has left and if his attitude can work here.

Archived