Damon LF

Nady RF

Matsui DH

Ransom 3B

Molina C

Miranda 1B

Berroa SS

Pena 2B

Pitching today: Joba Chamberlain followed by Kei Igawa, Christian Garcia, Phil Coke, Mike Dunn and Anthony Claggett

REDS

Dickerson CF

Gonzalez SS

Bruce RF

Phillips 2B

Barker 1B

Encarnacion 3B

Nix LF

Hanigan C

Bankston DH

Pitching today: Nick Masset

While I never put much stock into pre season stats, Joba would do himself well to show a bit more control tonight.

I see Hughes last outing was very strong. Nice spring so far for Phil.

If Joba pitches poorly again, Girardi should expect the media to ask if there is a competition for the 5th spot, between Chamberlain and Hughes.

I'm really rooting for Gardner to be a good .OBP guy because if he puts it together he can be our leadoff guy after Damon's production drops off.

I don't wanna get ahead of ourself but, Damon is a free agent after this season, and if Gardner shows he can get on base at a good clip, than it would nice to be able to pencil Gardner into the lead off spot in 2010.

I don't wanna get ahead of ourself but, Damon is a free agent after this season, and if Gardner shows he can get on base at a good clip, than it would nice to be able to pencil Gardner into the lead off spot in 2010.

and slide him into left field...if Jackson is what they think that would be some change from the OF of Yankees past...speed, youth, and defense...get a slugger for RF and you may begin to see some balance to this line-up

and slide him into left field...if Jackson is what they think that would be some change from the OF of Yankees past...speed, youth, and defense...get a slugger for RF and you may begin to see some balance to this line-up

Eh, Gardner doesn't translate to the corner spots, and neither does Jackson. I know Damon doesn't translate to LF either, but you don't want to make a habit out of it. Look for the Yankees to throw money at Matt Holliday or Jason Bay at the end of the year.

Eh, Gardner doesn't translate to the corner spots, and neither does Jackson. I know Damon doesn't translate to LF either, but you don't want to make a habit out of it. Look for the Yankees to throw money at Matt Holliday or Jason Bay at the end of the year.

if that were true, then Gardner should be traded this year...or else they waste him at his highest value....

like they did with Melky

if that were true, then Gardner should be traded this year...or else they waste him at his highest value....

like they did with Melky

Ironically Jackson just replaced Gardner in the lineup and center field, and comes up with an RBI single, lots of bat speed, but when I say they don't translate to the corner spots, I mean.. they don't project to have much power. They're athletes who should be playing CF, that's where you will get the most out of them.

Ironically Jackson just replaced Gardner in the lineup and center field, and comes up with an RBI single, lots of bat speed, but when I say they don't translate to the corner spots, I mean.. they don't project to have much power. They're athletes who should be playing CF, that's where you will get the most out of them.

I see what you are saying, but the Yankees have always been able to carry a non-power hitting corner OF since they get so much production from other areas..if Gardner can be a successful lead-off hitter wouldn't that overcome his lack of power?

What is Jackson projected as? Is his bat one to make up for it?

Athleticism is fine, but if Jackson is the CF of the future and Gardner is not a good fit for a corner spot...well then trading him this season when he showcases at his highest value should be the move to make..if Gardner is not in the future of this franchise they should move him for players who are...Melky could have gotten the Yankees something of real value a few years ago when I wished they moved him, most of my buddies who are Yankee fans wanted to keep him, being in love with this home grown fantasy....

I see what you are saying, but the Yankees have always been able to carry a non-power hitting corner OF since they get so much production from other areas..if Gardner can be a successful lead-off hitter wouldn't that overcome his lack of power?

Good point, but Posada isn't going to be around forever

What is Jackson projected as? Is his bat one to make up for it?

He's hard to project right now because he's still pretty raw, he's still learning how to hit. When the Yankees drafted him he was an athlete, not a baseball player. He's not going to be a 25 home run guy. He's projected to be around .280+ BA/.350+ OBP guy. #2 hitter. If he does that playing a very good CF... that's a valuable commodity. Think Torii Hunter with a little less power.

Athleticism is fine, but if Jackson is the CF of the future and Gardner is not a good fit for a corner spot...well then trading him this season when he showcases at his highest value should be the move to make..if Gardner is not in the future of this franchise they should move him for players who are...Melky could have gotten the Yankees something of real value a few years ago when I wished they moved him, most of my buddies who are Yankee fans wanted to keep him, being in love with this home grown fantasy....

I disagree about Melky, though his value is low right now, it's never been high. He never projected to be a great player, he never hit enough.

CF is a really important position, we don't know who the CF of the future is, but it's nice to have 2 guys who could be.

If Joba pitches poorly again, Girardi should expect the media to ask if there is a competition for the 5th spot, between Chamberlain and Hughes.

Post speculated the same but Joba looked good enough to snuff that talk.

NYPOST:

More importantly, Jorge Posada, Jose Molina and Andy Pettitte put their cleats into Chamberlain's backside.

"It's great to have teammates like that who can call you out but do it on a consistent basis," Chamberlain said of Posada, Molina and Pettitte pointing out to him that after two horrific starts, it was time for the gas-throwing right-hander to kick it up a notch last night against the Reds at George M. Steinbrenner Field, where The Boss watched a 7-1 victory from his suite.

How bad was Chamberlain in the first two games? Put it this way, had he wet the bed last night, Chamberlain would have woke this morning entangled in a legitimate competition with Phil Hughes for the No. 5 starter job.

Archived