Tsunami warning..7.6

SouthernJet

15011263.jpg

A tsunami watch has been issued for India, Burma, Indonesia, Thailand and Bangladesh after a magnitude 7.6 earthquake, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre says.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A massive magnitude 7.6 quake struck in the Indian Ocean off India's Andaman Islands, triggering a tsunami watch for India, Myanmar, Indonesia, Thailand and Bangladesh, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Monday.

The USGS said the quake, initially reported as a magnitude 7.7, was 20.6 miles deep and was centered 160 miles north of Port Blair in the Andaman Islands.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami watch for the region.

?m=02&d=20090810&t=2&i=11186853&w=192&r=2009-08-10T202759Z_01_BTRE5791KUQ00_RTROPTP_0_US-QUAKE-INDIA

wow,,aftershock from 5 years ago..

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) says its likely the quake was an aftershock to the deadly 2004 quake that triggered a massive tsunami killing nearly 230,000 people.

As well as India the warning applies to Myanmar, Indonesia, Bangladesh and Thailand. The NOAA indicates the risk of a tsunami as 'moderate to high'.

wow,,aftershock from 5 years ago..

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) says its likely the quake was an aftershock to the deadly 2004 quake that triggered a massive tsunami killing nearly 230,000 people.

As well as India the warning applies to Myanmar, Indonesia, Bangladesh and Thailand. The NOAA indicates the risk of a tsunami as 'moderate to high'.

WOW !! I never thought an aftershock could take almost 5 years to develop. My prayers are with my many friends there.

WOW !! I never thought an aftershock could take almost 5 years to develop. My prayers are with my many friends there.

Time in a geological sense is very, very slow and long. We are a blip on the geological record. 5 seconds is an eye blink.

Time in a geological sense is very, very slow and long. We are a blip on the geological record. 5 seconds is an eye blink.

That's for sure. I like when the history displayed the whole existance of earth on a 1 year scale. All of mankind was like what 3-4 minutes ? :biggrin:

Archived