Martin moving forward

Preston Howley III

Martin moving forward

Friday, October 14, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets running back Curtis Martin said yesterday that he's going to "keep sawing wood" and eventually he'll find some daylight.

Martin, the defending NFL rushing champ, has rushed for just 285 yards and two touchdowns on 105 carries (2.7-yard average) this season. He has been slowed by a sprained right knee.

Overall, the Jets rank 31st in the NFL in rushing (66.8 yards per game). Opponents have stacked their fronts to stop Martin because they don't respect the Jets' passing game

"Last year, we were on top of the world with the running game and I didn't get too high," Martin said yesterday. "Right now, I don't get too low. Who would know that we would lose both of our quarterbacks.

"But you really can't use those things as excuses. I just feel if you keep doing the right thing long enough, something will break. It hasn't been my dream year but I'm going to keep sawing wood."

On Sunday, the Jets (2-3) play at Buffalo (2-3). The Bills, who are usually stout against the run, are yielding 160.4 yards rushing per game. They're without LB Takeo Spikes (Achilles' tendon) and DT Ron Edwards (shoulder), both starters.

Buffalo likes to run blitz and its defensive ends and linebackers are extremely aggressive, leaving them vulnerable to cut-back runs and quick hitters.

"Whatever any team struggles with the week before, that's what you want to take advantage of," Jets center Kevin Mawae said, "but that's also what that team practices because they don't want to get beat that way again.

"Each week we've gotten better. We've said it's not going to be something that's going to happen overnight... If this is the breakout week, that'll be great. If not, hopefully we'll make some strides in a positive direction."

Martin, meanwhile, is trying to become the first back in NFL history to rush for 1,000 in each of his first 11 seasons.

"We'll see what happens," Martin said. "I'm optimistic."

DE John Abraham had just one tackle and no sacks in the Jets' strong defensive performance against the Bucs last week, showing he's not the only playmaker on the unit.

"Personally, I just sat back and watched everybody else make plays," Abraham said. "It's a beautiful thing. I usually try to overexert myself and make all the plays, but this year I kind of relax and let everything fall into place."

The multiple fronts employed by defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, coupled with his preparation and savvy play-calling, have caused major problems for opponents this season.

Special teams ace Kenyatta Wright knows the Jets will have their hands full trying to contain Bills Pro Bowl KR Terrence McGee, who is averaging 34.6 yards per return on 12 kickoffs, including an 82-yarder, this season.

"He's one of the best," said Wright, an ex-Bill. "There have been times when it looks like five guys are around him and they have him wrapped up and somehow he weasels his way out of it. He's dangerous.

"We played him last year and I think those are two games he can't brag about, so we have to go in with the same attitude."

Last season, the Bills averaged just 21.5 yards per kickoff on seven returns vs. the Jets.

LB Eric Barton (ankle) is out. Paterson native Mark Brown will start his third consecutive game on the weak side.... Privately, the Jets fully expect the Bills to start Kelly Holcomb at quarterback, although Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey remains coy.

Did Curtis Martin practice this week?

Peter Schwartz on 1050 said that the speculation is that Martin's knee is hurt much worse than anyone is saying publicly. Further, in light of what happened with Pennington, anyone in the press has to take what the Jets say publicly about injuries with a grain or mine's worth of salt. So far, no one at the NFL office is breaking humps or hitting them with fines because Martin is in fact playing. This week figures to tell us a lot abotu whether he keeps playing, no matter if he's hurt or just old.

I agree.

This is the week that Curtis needs to step up to the plate.

- The passing game is back so now stacking the box

- The o-line seems to be playing better so he should get some holes

- The Bills run D has been bad so no "great defenses" excuses

Time to show and show up hard. Over 100 yards* and he is back. Anything else and it is time to sit the old man down for some rest.

BZ

* unless we are just getting trounced and we have to throw the ball for three qtrs to catch up.

Martin moving forward

Friday, October 14, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets running back Curtis Martin said yesterday that he's going to "keep sawing wood" and eventually he'll find some daylight.

Martin, the defending NFL rushing champ, has rushed for just 285 yards and two touchdowns on 105 carries (2.7-yard average) this season. He has been slowed by a sprained right knee.

I'm still wondering if he practiced this week or not.

Latest News Oct. 14, 2005 - 3:14 pm et

Rotoworld

Curtis Martin was removed for the injury report after practicing Friday.

The Bills have struggled badly against the Bills. If C-Mart doesn't break out this week, we have serious doubts it will happen this season.

We're all set Moses. :wink:

Curtis will "keep sawing wood" for another week, meaning the JETS running game will again be a non-factor. SWEET!! At least he's a WARRIOR!

SIT DOWN CURTIS! You are HURT! You are HURTING THE TEAM!!

I look forward to that miracle day that the Jets have a legit Running threat that can break one all the way. You know, like other teams RBs that break a tackle and take one 80 yards for a TD. Remember the Jets having that type of threat STARTING at RB?

Me either.

At least we have a "warrior"...

Martin has lost a step. He was NEVER fast to begin with, but he could get by. His burst is gone, and dont ever count on him to break a tackle at the line of scrimmage. I have never seen in my life, a starting running back get taken down easier than Curtis Martin. A cornerback can be laying on the ground and slap Curtis in the ankles as he jogs by and Curtis will fall down.

Jordan was a starter here? Didn't think so.

Thanks for playing, though.

What a JOKE...its almost a cause for celebration when our starting NFL running back has a run of over 15 yards.

I see detecting sarcasm is not your strong suit.

Welcome to Jetnation!

Archived