Jets | Former WR J. Jones Being Treated in Texas Hospital

Smizzy

Jets | Former WR J. Jones Being Treated in Texas Hospital

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:20:28 -0700

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports former New York Jets WR Johnny "Lam" Jones is reportedly being treated for an advanced case of multiple myeloma in a Texas hospital. Multiple myeloma is a form of blood cancer. "You hate to hear about that when something like that strikes," said New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards, who played against Jones as an Philadelphia Eagles cornerback in the early 1980s. "I feel for him and his family."

From our good friend Rich Cimini of the NY Daily News:

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Former Jets wide receiver Johnny (Lam) Jones, one of the world's fastest men in the 1970s, is fighting for his life in a Texas hospital.

Jones, 47, has been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, multiple myeloma, which attacks the bones and blood system. The cancer has spread throughout 90% of his body, according to a friend. Jones has spent the last two weeks in an intensive-care unit at a hospital near his home in Austin, Tex.

"I'm in tears right now," former Jets teammate Wesley Walker said yesterday upon hearing the news. "I'm totally blind-sided. Forget football and all that other (stuff); he's just a beautiful person."

Jones, who won an Olympic gold medal in 1976 as a member of the mile relay team, became a standout football player at Texas and was drafted by the Jets in 1980. He was the second overall pick and never lived up to expectations, playing six nondescript seasons before being traded to the 49ers.

After years of drug abuse, which he detailed in a Daily News profile last April, Jones straightened out his life. Sober since 1990, the once-painfully shy Jones became a motivational speaker for high school athletes, sharing his story of hardship as part of his message to kids. He donated part of his speaking fees to the Texas Special Olympics, to which he also donated his Olympic medal in the late 1970s.

It apparently took several months for Jones' cancer to be detected. Last spring, he fell during a fishing trip and compressed a vertebra. After two fruitless trips to a local emergency room, the cancer finally was diagnosed in an exam by one of the doctors for the Texas football team.

By then, the cancer had taken control of his body. Jones, who played at 6-feet, is down to 5-7, according friend and former college teammate Johnnie Johnson.

Jones, who recently started his own sports marketing business, has no health insurance. Former teammates and old friends have collected money to pay his medical bills.

In the Daily News interview, Jones spoke candidly about his drug use and how he "sabotaged my career in two sports, and I have no one to blame but myself." But he was determined not to let it ruin him.

"I've learned to be accountable for my actions," he said then. "I don't have to live my life in shame anymore."

"Lam" Jones is original "Stonehands" detailed in my name. I remember watching games with my dad and seeing this guy blow by defenders only to drop passes right in his hands. In later years, Bobby Humphrey became "Stonehands" and the most recent versions were tight ends Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht, but I will always remember "Lam" Jones as the original.

Archived