Cervelli is the new Girardi

Barton

Sadly, the Yankees have too much Catcher-talent in the pipeline. I just don't see Cervelli getting the starting job over a Jesus Montero or Austin Romine.

Romine looks decent but he's not even doing AA right?

Montero looks insane so if he can catch he'll get it.....

But Cervelli needs to stick with this team. At least be a fulltime personal catcher for 1 of our pitchers. He's that good IMO.

Romine looks decent but he's not even doing AA right?

Romine started this season in AA http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=romine001aus

Montero looks insane so if he can catch he'll get it.....

But Cervelli needs to stick with this team. At least be a fulltime personal catcher for 1 of our pitchers. He's that good IMO.

Most of the questions about Montero as a catcher are based on him being too big to stick there. The average MLB catcher is about 6' tall. Posada is 6'2". Montero is 6'4", the same height as Joe Mauer and an inch shorter than Matt Wieters.

If Montero is interested in staying behind the plate, I don't see why he can't. His bat is MLB-ready right now, he just needs to work on getting off throws to second base a split-second quicker.

As for Cervelli, I am very high on the kid as well. I just don't see him as Posada's replacement when we have a ton of catching talent in the minors.

If Montero doesn't get his throwing up to par though, he's definitely a prospect to look for as maybe a RF.

Montero doesn't have the speed to play the outfield...his lack of speed would kill us in the power alley. One or possible two of these guys is going to make great trade bait.

Archived