Michigan

leonwash29

JETS BLOG

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 10:17 AM, April 20, 2010

Brandon Graham has big plans for his NFL career, which will begin when he’s drafted Thursday night.

One of Graham’s first orders of business, regardless of whether the Jets use their first-round pick to take him, is simple: Don’t become Vernon Gholston.

Graham, you see, enters this NFL in a somewhat parallel universe to the one that Gholston did two years ago.

Graham has been a pass-rushing demon while playing defensive end at Michigan.

Gholston was the same package as a collegiate player at Ohio State, before the Jets selected him with the sixth overall pick in the first round of the 2008 draft.

Gholston’s lack of production has been well documented. He’s still seeking his first NFL sack.

“I don’t know what has happened with him. It might be the program he came from,” Graham told The Post yesterday — either purposely or inadvertently tweaking Michigan’s rival school. “Right now everyone looks at him as a bust, and I understand that. They’re paying him all this money and he hasn’t done anything.”

Graham, who recently visited the Jets facility and met with Rex Ryan, the coaching staff and many players, insisted that, unlike Gholston, he’ll be an immediate impact player.

He, in fact, sounded like a player ready to take Gholston’s job and run with it.

“I believe if I come in there I’ll be able to jump right in (to the lineup),” Graham said. “(Gholston) has been there long enough and I believe I will pick things up really quickly. I’m someone that’s going to come in and try to perform early and get into the mix. I don’t know much about sitting on the bench.”

Graham didn’t record 29 sacks in the last three years at Michigan by sitting on the bench. In 2008, he started all 11 games for the Wolverines and had 10 sacks with 20 of his 38 tackles made behind the line of scrimmage. Last year, he had 101⁄2 sacks and 26 of his 64 tackles went for lost yardage.

The question is whether Graham will be available when the Jets’ 29th overall pick arrives. He’s been projected to be drafted anywhere from the middle to the end of the first round.

The one thing that could allow Graham to slip is his size. He’s slightly undersized at 6-foot-1 1/2 and has short arms, which could make him susceptible to being tied up by longer-armed blockers.

Graham hardly sounded concerned about any physical shortcomings in his new career.

“My physical ability is NFL-ready,” Graham said. “I’ve got to get my mind ready by studying and taking any extra help I can get. If my teammates love me, they’ll help me.”

One potential Jets teammate is inside linebacker David Harris, a fellow Michigan man. Graham said he spoke with Harris while he made his visit to the Jets.

“David Harris has inspired me,” Graham said. “I’ve played with him. My game is not that far from where his is. That’s a guy that I’m trying to come in and help and who I’d like to help me. I’d love for both of us to be on the same team so I can show him how much I’ve grown.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/michigan_graham_to_gang_green_no_6NVanx6J8b9GRB9UPHmXZJ#ixzz0lf3eS3jM

taking shots at gholston but i like his aggressive attitude and he really wants us to take him and if we do he'll want to prove alot

Archived