The Yankees "granite" core four...

NIGHT STALKER

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle. Will Jeter and Mariano make it six? If I had to vote for one, I would give it to Mariano. I don't think the last five rings would have been won without him.

I'd have to put Yogi in there ahead of Jeter, but that's probably it.

You could consider Rivera, because he is the best ever at what he does, but you also have to consider its a role that has really only existed for the last 25-30 years.

I'd have to put Yogi in there ahead of Jeter, but that's probably it.

You could consider Rivera, because he is the best ever at what he does, but you also have to consider its a role that has really only existed for the last 25-30 years.

Yeah I don't see how you can exclude Yogi and his 10 rings.

No Whitey Ford?

Yeah I don't see how you can exclude Yogi and his 10 rings.

No Whitey Ford?

Or his 3 MVP's and four other top-5 finishes.

Whitey's up there, but I think Rivera has been more important to his Yankee championship teams than Ford was. It's all a matter of how much you value a dominant closer. For the most part, Ford was far better in the WS that the Yankees lost than those that they won - with the exception of '61.

Or his 3 MVP's and four other top-5 finishes.

Whitey's up there, but I think Rivera has been more important to his Yankee championship teams than Ford was. It's all a matter of how much you value a dominant closer. For the most part, Ford was far better in the WS that the Yankees lost than those that they won - with the exception of '61.

But can you say they get to those WS without Ford though? One of the most deceptive stats of Whitey's career is his win total. He only had one 20-win season and 236 career wins but that is because he used differently than just about any pitcher in history. Casey saved him for the best teams, Whitey didn't exactly rack up easy wins against the Senators. He was facing stacked Red Sox and Indians lineups. So while he didn't win a huge number of games he did ring up the best winning percentage in the history of baseball by pitching against the absolute best competition.

Archived