Mark Sanchez Interview Aug 14

Kentucky Jet

Transcript: QB Mark Sanchez, 8.14

By Bassett on 15. Aug, 2010

On looking forward to Monday’s preseason game…

I can’t wait. I think both sides of the ball are ready to play another opponent. The dog days of camp start to set in, (and) you’re ready to move on and play a different uniform. We’re (looking forward to) being on a real game stage, and that’s exactly what it will be. We’re excited to see the fans in our home stadium that first night. It will be good for all of us.

On if the coaches have a specific game plan for him for Monday night…

They still haven’t said anything yet. I’m sure we’ll probably talk about it either tonight or tomorrow. I don’t know, we’ll see. But no one has said anything to me yet. I’ll play as long as they let me.

On not going full throttle in the preseason…

I feel for those first couple series, they’re real, and that’s all you get. You want to take advantage of those reps. You want to be accurate. You want to make the right checks. At the same time, we won’t do much on offense just like they won’t show much on defense. It’s just the name of the game during preseason. You want to get out of there, hopefully with no injuries, number one, take care of the ball (and don’t get any) pre-snap penalties. Similar to our scrimmage here, T\those are the same type of goals you have. Positive plays on first down, trying to stay out of third-and-long. I want to look at my grade sheet after the game and be perfect on my footwork and perfect on decision-making. I want to see all pluses. That’s the kind of goals you want, instead of just a win. You’re not worried about the final score.

On the improvements the offense has made since last year…

I think last year was a lot more difficult. This year in camp, with the offense, it has been much more competitive against the defense. That’s for sure. We’ve had our days. Last year, the offensive days of winning were few and far between. We’re thrilled about that, but we know that it (takes) a constant effort. We have to be on our best just to beat them for a day. We feel they bring their best almost every day. When we have our chance to catch them – if they slip on a call, (if) they miss something, you want to be able to get them and you can’t miss those opportunities, especially against a defense like this. It’s been great competition for us. It’s been a good experience for all of us, growing up together, feeling the pressure that they bring, and seeing all of their unorthodox looks. It will prepare us really well for the season.

On how the developing offensive chemistry in camp will carry over to the regular season…

That’s our next step. We know we’re competitive in camp. We’ve had our days, and now we want to make it translate to the season. That has to be scoring points. We want to score points more than we did last year. Touchdowns over field goals, and that’s going to come with me making better decisions in situations in the red zone and on third-down, giving us a chance to convert. I think this can only help. This can only show that we’re going to go a lot better on offense during the season. It’s going to be nice.

On playing in a game for the first time since the knee surgery…

I feel like it will be good. I haven’t even thought about it, and I know in the game you are thinking about so many other things. It probably won’t even cross my mind, but thanks for bringing it up (laughter). I think it will be fine. It’s good. I want to hopefully get hit, not blindsided or anything. Take a little shot here or there after a play. It’s good, it will be fine.

On his choice of equipment for practice…

I’ve kind of changed it up. Whatever feels good. I slept in this (compression shorts), so I just left it on. Yeah, it feels fine. It (the knee) always feels good. I just like having it (the knee brace) on there. I’ve had it on for so long since the surgery I just kind of left it.

On if he has had any problems with his knee during training camp…

No, not at all. They ask, “Are you feeling okay? You need to take a couple reps off?” I’ve been fine.

On if he’s going to wear a brace for the game…

I don’t know. Probably not. I don’t know. We’ll see.

On reasons for wearing the brace…

It’s not necessarily for the knee or for the patella. (It’s) just the ACL brace that everybody wears, just (the) general (brace).

On his timing with passes across the middle…

I think I rushed a couple of them today. Then there were a couple that I anticipated really well. The one over the middle to Braylon (Edwards) (and the one) to Brad (Smith) in the back of the end zone. We’ve been good on them. I think there were ones where I got ahead of myself and threw them a little too early. The guys are running great routes, and it’s my job to hit them. I’ll get that cleaned up.

On trying to top last years first preseason pass…

We’ll see. I probably won’t be as nervous this year which will be good. I won’t have to worry about it.

On being nervous for the game…

I think every game you get the right amount of anticipation and excitement. I don’t think it’s nervous anymore. I think you’re just very excited to get back out on the field and go through you’re first cadence and throw your first pass. Just get the season going, it’s been a long time coming. You’re body clock, you’ve been playing since you were seven, (so) by the end of August you’re ready to start playing games. It’s about that time, and we all feel good.

On being excited to play the first game in the new stadium…

Absolutely. I’m excited to see how the fans react, and to see how the locker room is on a game day. Get everything scattered out so I can go through my game day routine, and test it out in these first couple preseason games. Get out on the field, and see that stadium. It looks great with nobody in it. I think it will look even better with people in it. It will be a big time rivalry game going, us against the Giants. That will be fun.

Archived