Mangold Returns to Practice

flgreen

Nick Mangold returns to practice after missing Monday night game with head injury

Published: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 1:44 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 1:53 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerNick Mangold said he feels back to normal after hitting his temple during practice last week.

Share CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Nick Mangold, acting jovially as he usually does, said he finally feels back to normal -- or at least "Mangold normal."

The Jets center did not play in Monday's preseason opener against the Giants Monday, after hitting his temple in a collision with Sione Pouha last Wednesday. He practiced later in the week, but did not play Monday night after having a headache earlier in the day.

"I just didn’t feel right," Mangold said. "I don’t know the medical definition or anything, but in five years of being in the NFL, I've had my share of bumps, bruises and everything in-between, and this time it just didn’t feel right. I was fortunate we took it seriously and had the chance to sit down for it."

Mangold was never diagnosed as having a concussion but said he felt "foggy." He said he felt "decent" when he woke up Tuesday morning, and then back to normal after the team settled into Cortland last night and resumed meetings.

He practiced in full pads this morning and said he assumed he will be playing Saturday vs. Carolina. He might try to get a free dinner out of Pouha, too.

"I felt great, surprisingly rested," Mangold said. "It was a good day, and I felt good out there."

LB Bart Scott, DL Mike DeVito and TE Matt Mulligan took the morning off, a reward for being among the individual winners in the "Iron Jet" offseason workout competition. RG Brandon Moore also did not practice, his first "healthy scratch" in his eight seasons in the NFL (Mangold made sure there was a proper tribute, hanging his No. 65 jersey on a coat rack next to the practice field and dubbing this "National Meat Day").

FBs John Conner (knee) and Jason Davis (ankle) and LB Lance Laury (lip) were limited. Laury cut his lip diving for the punt Eric Smith blocked Monday night and needed stitches. CB Donovan Warren also was "a little woozy" and may have a concussion, Ryan said.

LB Kenwin Cummings worked with the starters in place of Scott. Matt Slauson worked at right guard, while rookie Vladimir Ducasse worked at left guard.

Other morning practice notes:

The session was a little sluggish, probably related to the scheduling that had the team playing Monday night and then returning to Cortland the next day. But Ryan said that "can't be an excuse to us."

The liveliest part of practice was when Slauson and DT Matt Kroul, matched up in one-on-one pass rush drills, got into a minor skirmish. To the side, DE Shaun Ellis and OL Rob Turner started to engage, too. QB Mark Sanchez, perhaps showing the little brother in him, gleefully reported the participants to his teammates on the other side of the field.

The Jets offense drew several false-start penalties. Ducasse had two, and T Wayne Hunter had one (there may have also been others). "I was disappointed with that, and I made sure the team knew it as well," he said.

Sanchez was unofficially 6-for-11 in 11-on-11 drills.

P Steve Weatherford kicked field goals this morning (it's always good to have a "contingency" plan, Ryan said, in case the kicker gets hurt during a game). He did well, too, going 4-for-4 between 33 and 43 yards. Nick Folk will kick in the afternoon special-teams practice.

Archived