Breaking down the numbers: Jets vs. Patriots – Part 2 Defense

JetNation

Here's the thing Garby...you act as if they werent making stops at the begging of the year and though they are the worst in the league on 3rd down, they are finding away to get off the field...sometimes. But what you are not recognizing here, is that you dont get to 9-2 unless your D makes a stop now and then. Which they've done all year long, but you act like this is just an all of a sudden thing, which in reality (and I cant find the break down) they've got worse on 3rd down as the season has progressed.

I understand you like the eye test, but maybe you are letting your eyes deceive you and fool you into what you want to believe is true, when in reality your defense is no better (possibly worse)than they were after week 4.

But you know what, it doesnt matter. Why? Tom Brady.

Agreed that Brady is the reason they are winning - and some timely, actual, big stops on Defense. That defense, that you say made stops, hardly did so in the beginning of the season. For example, I see far more picks now than before.

My eyes have told me that against sd, indy and pitt, the actually made the timely stops they had to. A miracle, or sorts, if you ask me. This defense is made of jags, rookies and Vincent Wilfork.

Again, I am not arguing that they suck. But I have seen improvement. That stats do not play it out - but I think it's true.

For example, the stats say that Sanchez is a middle of the road QB. Those stats do not reveal his fourth quarter heroics where he keeps his poise and finds the open receiver.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed that Brady is the reason they are winning - and some timely, actual, big stops on Defense. That defense, that you say made stops, hardly did so in the beginning of the season. For example, I see far more picks now than before.

My eyes have told me that against sd, indy and pitt, the actually made the timely stops they had to. A miracle, or sorts, if you ask me. This defense is made of jags, rookies and Vincent Wilfork.

Again, I am not arguing that they suck. But I have seen improvement. That stats do not play it out - but I think it's true.

For example, the stats say that Sanchez is a middle of the road QB. Those stats do not reveal his fourth quarter heroics where he keeps his poise and finds the open receiver.

Fair enough. I've watched the entirety of the last 2 Patriots games and I will say, the D is opportunistic. And like all great Pats teams, they capitalize on mistakes. That said, they arent very good and if Brady isnt having his A game, the Pats are a very vulnerable team.

Does it really matter how bad the Pats defense has been? When was the last game the JETS offense exploited an opponents weakness? The answer is the Bills game. I dont trust Shotty and either should you. Any offensive team that goes 7 straight games without one offensive TD in the first quarter has some play calling issues. With the talent on this team, that stat is inexcusable.

Fair enough. I've watched the entirety of the last 2 Patriots games and I will say, the D is opportunistic. And like all great Pats teams, they capitalize on mistakes. That said, they arent very good and if Brady isnt having his A game, the Pats are a very vulnerable team.

Yup.

You know why I hate stats sometimes? Lasts years Pats defense was ranked 11th. Really? That defense was awful. 11th my arse.

Does it really matter how bad the Pats defense has been? When was the last game the JETS offense exploited an opponents weakness? The answer is the Bills game. I dont trust Shotty and either should you. Any offensive team that goes 7 straight games without one offensive TD in the first quarter has some play calling issues. With the talent on this team, that stat is inexcusable.

This is why I spend my nights sleepless and snacking.

Yup.

You know why I hate stats sometimes? Lasts years Pats defense was ranked 11th. Really? That defense was awful. 11th my arse.

I'm not a stats person either. All about W's or L's. I think you can put stock into, Points Against and Points Scored, but the other stuff is meaningless to me. However, they can indicate improvement or regression, but there are so many variable that effect a stat that IMO it makes them meaningless.

Archived