Ex-Dolphins bemoan state of franchise

Jetfan13

By BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

After 10 years without a playoff win, the frustration is growing not only for Dolphins fans and owner Stephen Ross, but also among prominent ex-Dolphins.

``This team has been languishing for so long, they have bad karma,'' Hall of Famer Nick Buoniconti said. ``People talk about a two-year plan. If you're lucky, it's a five-year plan because they don't have the ingredients to rise above the Patriots and Jets, and the Bills are ahead of them because of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

``I like Bill Parcells, but I don't understand why someone would leave a sinking ship. You don't do that and say, `I'm out of here' and collect my money. When you look at the Patriots, they have two first-round picks coming up, two seconds and two thirds. How are you going to compete with that? You can't do it through free agency. Miami doesn't have a second-round pick. It's a joke. Steve Ross should surround himself with people who are winners. He doesn't have that'' on the football side.

Beyond personnel deficiencies, ``the most disappointing thing is this team didn't play with much pride the last three or four games,'' Buoniconti said. ``If you don't represent what the Dolphins tradition represents, you have a problem. Anytime they were called upon to do something big, they fell on their face. I would fire the entire fricking special teams for the effort they made on the punt return against [Julian Edelman]'' in the finale.

``Chad Henne has been handled poorly,'' Buoniconti added. ``Anybody who is big, strong and with an arm like that should be an NFL quarterback. Eventually, they will get rid of him and he will prove them wrong and be decent.'' As Dick Anderson said, ``It looked like Henne had handcuffs on half the time.''

Said O.J. McDuffie: ``You look at every playoff team and they have an identify. We don't. Every team has a vertical passing game except us. It's amazing it's been this long since we've been relevant.''

Bob Kuechenberg said, ``What bothers me is over two consecutive years, the Dolphins are 0-6 in their last six games. That wouldn't happen with Don Shula. That's embarrassing.'' Manny Fernandez said when Karlos Dansby is out, ``their linebackers look like The Three Stooges. . . . Until they get better players, it will be a long road.''

Jim Kiick bemoans how ``far away'' the team is. But Anderson said though ``we've had a series of bad coaching choices and bad general managers,'' at least this coach/GM tandem ``is on the same page'' on personnel and ``Sparano is a solid guy.''

``This team has been languishing for so long, they have bad karma,'' Hall of Famer Nick Buoniconti said. ``People talk about a two-year plan. If you're lucky, it's a five-year plan because they don't have the ingredients to rise above the Patriots and Jets, and the Bills are ahead of them because of Ryan Fitzpatrick."

Holy crap!!!!

Archived