Tannenbaum article

Kentucky Jet

Now that the draft has ended, and the NFL labor situation is still in a state of flux, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said the onus will be on the front office and coach Rex Ryan to make the team better in these uncertain times.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean a singular focus on the vast pool of undrafted free agents. Tannenbaum said it's one of a few avenues the Jets have been exploring so far.

"We're not even sure that (undrafted free agents) would be the next opportunity for us to improve the team," Tannenbaum said at the Pinstripe Bowl charity golf outing today in Jamestown. "So we'll compartmentalize things in terms of when the next opportunity to present itself to get better be it undrafted free agency, veteran trades, etc.

"As Ron Shapiro taught me, the only part of the process you can control is preparation so we're going to be prepared and whatever they say to do next we'll be ready to go."

Tannenbaum pointed to a recent staff-wide meeting where they pulled out a list of projects they'd been meaning to get to, but would not normally have time to deal with during a typical regimented spring and summer.

"We had a really good meeting the other day, Rex and I, with our staff and two things we're working on is improvement and trying to take a little time when we can but really focused on improving," Tannenbaum said.

"From our standpoint I find it to be a little entrepreneurial, because normally you're in a regimented system where you have rookie camps, OTA's, veteran minicamps, so I think most managers we right down things -- I know Rex had a long list of rainy day projects -- so we pulled that out and are working on it now, seeing it as an opportunity to get better."

Ryan said that they'll also continue bringing in coaches from around the league in an attempt to sweep some new ideas into the organization. Last week, Ryan said the Jets invited former Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore to talk about red zone scoring.

"We're going to bring in guys, even position coach guys that might be out there that if we can get an idea or two ideas from someone than it's worth it," Ryan said. "We're about improving as coaches, so we're excited about that. That's going to give us a chance to get better."

If the league operates under 2010 rules, the Jets will be limited in terms of what they can do in Free Agency-Final Four rules.

But, those rules would also limit the number of true Free Agents the Jets could lose.

Labor strife has to be worked out with some parameters of agreement.

Archived