flgreen

Sunday notes: Jets can't let Cro fly

May, 15, 2011

May 15

7:47

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Sunday notes on the Jets and from around the NFL:

CORNER THE MARKET: Antonio Cromartie's value to the Jets is increasing by the day. The way the offseason is playing out, the Jets need to stock up on as many good pass-coverage players as possible. That means re-signing Cromartie or replacing him with a comparable veteran, which will be difficult to do.

Why such an importance on corners? Because unless they somehow acquire an impact pass rusher before the start of the season (good luck with that), Rex Ryan probably will have to continue the schematic trend that began late last season -- dialing back the blitz pressure and relying on coverage. They didn't draft a rush linebacker and, although first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson has intriguing potential as a pass rusher, his chances of making an immediate impact in that area will diminish if the lockout wipes out the offseason.

FOND FAREWELL: In an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com, the just-retired Alan Faneca reflects on his two seasons (2008-2009) with the Jets.

"I had a great time with the Jets," Faneca writes. "It was fun and I was able to work with some great coaches and play with some great players. From the hoopla around Brett (Favre) coming, to the AFC Championship in Indy, it was a great time. The organization is first class all the way to the top. The support that they give their players is unmatched in the NFL, from allowing their players to perform at their highest level possible to helping with off-the-field concerns so as they stay off the field. My family and I look back on our time there fondly. We made many friends and loved the area of the country that we may otherwise never experienced."

Faneca's time with the Jets reminds me of Ronnie Lott's two-year stint, 1993 and 1994: He wasn't the dominating player he was in his prime, but he left a positive impression on the younger players around him.

SPELL CHECK: Writers and fans aren't the only ones that have misspelled Kenrick Ellis' name. A Hampton, Va., grand jury, in an indictment document dated March 7, 2011, refers to him as "Kendrick." The Jets' third-round pick was charged with malicious wounding, a Class-3 felony that carries a maximum sentence of 20 years.

HALL, THE VICTOR: Former Jets S Victor Green, one of the greatest undrafted players in team history, will be part of the inaugural class inducted into the Americus-Sumter County (Ga.) High School Athletic Hall of Fame. Interesting class. It includes Dan Reeves and Chan Gailey.

LAST RESPECTS: Classy move by Giants co-owner John Mara, who attended the funeral of Daily News icon Bill Gallo. Gallo's mass took place at St. Patrick's Cathedral, where Mara's legendary father, Wellington, was memorialized.

WORKING OUT: A lot of folks across the league are debating the merits of player-organized workouts during the lockout. Do they really help? From a football standpoint, not really. There's no substitute for practicing under the supervision of coaches. In terms of team camaraderie, sure, it probably helps. But the camaraderie vibe will change quickly if someone blows out an ACL.

BAD CHAD: Chad Ochocinco always has been associated with a lot of bull. Finally, the bull got even.

Archived