The Little Big Man who got away

flgreen

The Little big man who got away

May, 27, 2011

May 27

11:57

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Let's file this under "Famous what-ifs in Jets history" ...

I was in Syracuse Thursday to do a story on Hall-of-Fame RB Floyd Little, who was introduced as the school's special assistant to the athletic director, and we got to talking about the Jets and how he almost joined a backfield that included Joe Namath, Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer.

Leading into the 1967 draft, Jets owner Sonny Werblin and coach Weeb Ewbank were hot for Little, a three-time all-America for the Orange. In 1966, they watched Little destroy Pitt in a 51-13 rout at Shea Stadium. They wanted him -- badly.

Little said they told him he'd be their pick at No. 12. Not only that, but they promised him a Namath-like contract ($400,000) and said he would wear his college number, 44, which is famous at Syracuse (and now retired). Little, who grew up in New Haven, Conn., wanted to stay close to home, so he was all in.

"It was a done deal," he told me. "I was going to be a New York Jet."

Officials from other teams called him before the draft to express interest, including Packers coach Vince Lombardi, and Little told them all the same thing: Don't draft me because I'm committed to the Jets. It was an Eli Manning-esque move, which happened more often in those days than it does now.

The Broncos apparently didn't get wind of it -- or maybe they just ignored Little's proclamation. They were set to pick G Gene Upshaw with the sixth overall choice, but coach Lou Saban called a last-minute audible, taking Little. As you know, Upshaw was picked 17th by the Raiders and went on to a Hall-of-Fame career.

Little said he had two reactions when he heard he had been drafted by the Broncos:

"Impossible. I'm going to the Jets."

"Where the hell is Denver?"

Little, always a man of integrity, didn't make a stink and signed with the Broncos -- a three-year, $88,000 contract, including a $10,000 signing bonus. It was a far cry from the Namath deal he had waiting for him in New York.

The Jets? They ended up picking an offensive lineman from Notre Dame named Paul Seiler. He played five seasons in the league as a backup.

That's our history lesson for the day.

Archived