Workhorse role for Greene

flgreen

Schottenheimer eyes workhorse role for Shonn Greene

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 3, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT

Jets fans and fantasy owners alike have wanted Shonn Greene to get the ball more the last two years. It sounds like they are going to get their wish in 2011.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer says Greene will “without a doubt” be the team’s primary rusher after taking a back seat to LaDainian Tomlinson for much of last year.

“We expect a breakout season from him,” Schottenheimer said. “He’s a guy that’s got just huge, huge, huge potential that we think is right there ready for him to grab.”

The timing of Schottenheimer saying Greene is “ready to take the next step” is interesting. The team is bringing back LaDainian Tomlinson, drafted Bilal Powell in the fourth round, and want to get Joe McKnight involved more.

Still, it sounds like Schottenheimer wants to use Greene as a workhorse-type back that approaches 300 carries. It helps that Tomlinson has signed off on the plan, saying he wants to be the best third down back in the league.

Greene has the potential to be one most powerful, explosive backs in the league. Now he just has to realize that potential over 16 games.

Guy better come into camp in shape. he has had weight problems in the past. it also bothers me a bit that he really was the only skill position player that didn't make Jets West. he of all of them needs work as a receiver.

I guess if he isn't ready the Rookie will step in

Guy better come into camp in shape. he has had weight problems in the past. it also bothers me a bit that he really was the only skill position player that didn't make Jets West. he of all of them needs work as a receiver.

I guess if he isn't ready the Rookie will step in

If he isnt ready the Rookie will step in? I hope you mean Joe McKnight.

I think this is Schottie sending a message to Greene to keep in shape - nothing more, nothing less. No Jets back is going to have 300 carries unless there's injuries.

Yeah, I really believe the Jets completely believe that all 4 RBs are very talented in their own rights and plan to use all 4 throughout the season. That said, there probably is some truth to Schotty's statement, in terms of the fact that Greene is going to be the guy who will be expected to take the brunt of the "tough work" in the early carries and wearing down the D, especially to open the season. Both the Jets and LT agree that his time doing that is done. McKnight I think will be the Jets new "jack of all trades" picking up the roles left behind by the likes of Leon Washington and Brad Smith. My guess is Powell is the new guy taking over that role of insurance and likely the fresh late season / playoff back. I agree no back is going to get anywhere close to 300 carries, but Greene is the guy in the backfield who the Jets expect to take the biggest beating of the group.

I wish Greene was the workhorse last year. Don't get me wrong, LT was great early in the season, but he wore down near the end because he was overused. I'm excited about the RB situation this year. We seem to have a very solid future, especially with LT mentoring those guys.

I don't think there is a whole lot of mentoring going on between RB's. Maybe in blocking. For the most part RB is one of the rare positions that players can perform at right out of the box.

They also usually burn out very quickly.

Archived