Resistance for owners mounts

F.Chowds

Great post. I think the anxiety that Ralph Wilson, etc, is feeling stems from the fear that Jones and Snyder will raise the floor to placate the players, then turn around and slash the nut that gets passed on to the small markets in profit-sharing. They set out to get the extra billion off the top of revenues to offset that likely reality (essentially having the players pay off the small markets instead of the high-revenue clubs). If, through negotiations, the owners don't get the extra billion and they still (likely) compromise revenue sharing, the small markets are up sh*t's creek, incapable of affording a paddle.

Tom, the problem I have with Ralph Wilson is this - THE BILLS NEVER GOT BLACKED OUT DUE TO LACK OF SALES UNTIL NOVEMBER 11, 2010. They were on a sell out basis for 26 straight home games.

Sure 2 of the last 6 games of the season were Blacked out due to sales. That however, does not give cause for Wilson to fear a loss in revenue.

It's greed, plain & simply put in his position.

What do you expect from a man who took $150 million in revenue from the State of New York (Which he still has not repaid) over ten years ago for renovations.

Renovations mind you that did not upgrade Ralph Wilson Stadium, it created new sections of STADIUM BOXES instead.

Just sayin',,,

Tom, the problem I have with Ralph Wilson is this - THE BILLS NEVER GOT BLACKED OUT DUE TO LACK OF SALES UNTIL NOVEMBER 11, 2010. They were on a sell out basis for 26 straight home games.

Sure 2 of the last 6 games of the season were Blacked out due to sales. That however, does not give cause for Wilson to fear a loss in revenue.

It's greed, plain & simply put in his position.

What do you expect from a man who took $150 million in revenue from the State of New York (Which he still has not repaid) over ten years ago for renovations.

Renovations mind you that did not upgrade Ralph Wilson Stadium, it created new sections of STADIUM BOXES instead.

Just sayin',,,

I hear you, Baum. I would never say that Wilson was an angel or a victim, but the guy is in a tough spot there in Buffalo. The fans will come out if the team is halfway decent, but they simply don't have the cash to come out and watch garbage football, especially mid-recession. Hes shown that he can spend money over the years, and even produce winners, but they're in just such a bad stretch right now because Ralph is Al Davis-levels of senile. He could have moved that team 15 different times over the years and has stuck it out. It'd be a shame if he has to pull up the stakes because dipsh*ts like Jerry Jones and Woody Johnson think they own the Yankees.

Great post. I think the anxiety that Ralph Wilson, etc, is feeling stems from the fear that Jones and Snyder will raise the floor to placate the players, then turn around and slash the nut that gets passed on to the small markets in profit-sharing. They set out to get the extra billion off the top of revenues to offset that likely reality (essentially having the players pay off the small markets instead of the high-revenue clubs). If, through negotiations, the owners don't get the extra billion and they still (likely) compromise revenue sharing, the small markets are up sh*t's creek, incapable of affording a paddle.

Yeah if there really is a disagreement thats probably it. Reduce the top, increase the floor, and its not nearly the kind of pullback that the players will fear so they have a deal which might upset a few teams. I dont think the revenue sharing model will be compromised anytime soon, but there are clearly owners doing everything they can to get unshared money. If the big money streams dry up (TV revenue, merchandising, media use of the NFL, etc...) then teams like the Bills will be in rough shape and the league will be like baseball with essentially 10 teams being good on a year by year basis. I just dont see that happening yet, though it could as more and more of the new owners replace the old guard. Right now its about guys like Wilson being pissed off that their market simply doesnt have the disposable income that NY does or the the love affair with the team that Pittsburgh does to where every last dollar is spent on support of the team.

I still find it funny that Scheffter (who has become awful since he went to ESPN)makes a huge deal out of 2 AFC teams being very mad. There were two teams that didnt vote for the last CBA. They both resided in the AFC. They both complain year after year about the CBA. Nobody gives them any power within the NFL because nothing would ever get accomplished. The fact that two "anonymous" teams are saying this deal doesnt attack the real problems isnt a story. Its business as usual for those two teams. For him to report the way he did is just ESPN reeking of finding a way to talk about something on their programming.

I'll venture a guess that when the Bengals and Carolina were playing in Super Bowls, plenty of people watched them. If Jerry Jones and Danny get their way, you can basically put tombstones on those franchises, along with Green Bay, San Diego, Tampa, etc.

when's the last time you wanted to watch a regular season Panthers game?

I hear you, Baum. I would never say that Wilson was an angel or a victim, but the guy is in a tough spot there in Buffalo. The fans will come out if the team is halfway decent, but they simply don't have the cash to come out and watch garbage football, especially mid-recession. Hes shown that he can spend money over the years, and even produce winners, but they're in just such a bad stretch right now because Ralph is Al Davis-levels of senile. He could have moved that team 15 different times over the years and has stuck it out. It'd be a shame if he has to pull up the stakes because dipsh*ts like Jerry Jones and Woody Johnson think they own the Yankees.

I agree Tom.

Four years ago the NFL offered the Bills a PERMANENT home in Toronto (Where most of their season ticket & stadium box fans come from). He refused...

Why?

Because he would not own the stadium they played in so his revenue would be cut by 18-21%. Simply put - HE WANTS IT ALL!

and unless the NFL gives him a new stadium that he does not have to pay for but can collect everything - he does not want to move!

And that's a greed issue!

Archived