Rams player wins supplement lawsuit, clears name

Blackout

So the product was approved by the NFL's drug hotline and they're still suspending him? That's a load of sh*t.

Meh, mess with the bull and get the horns. Next time stick to the reputable companies and it won't be a problem. In the meantime the 2 mill in damages should make up for it.

The reasoning makes sense. You can't give players a pass for being misled by a 3rd party because the slippery slope effect is then legitimately put in play. All you have to do at that point is get a supplement company to leave off an ingredient or two and you're home-free. The NFL can't punish the company, and there's simply no way for them to test every single supplement from every single company, so they have to rely on the company's reportings, which are supposed to be Federally regulated anyways.

The reasoning makes sense. You can't give players a pass for being misled by a 3rd party because the slippery slope effect is then legitimately put in play. All you have to do at that point is get a supplement company to leave off an ingredient or two and you're home-free. The NFL can't punish the company, and there's simply no way for them to test every single supplement from every single company, so they have to rely on the company's reportings, which are supposed to be Federally regulated anyways.

Yeah you're right, it's a fair point. My initial reaction was just on the basis that every time somebody gets busted for a supplement the NFL endlessly touts their hotline, and in this case the guy even used it and still go screwed in the process. But you're right, setting any sort of exception to this stuff sets a dangerous precedent and there wasn't much the NFL could have done differently to avoid it happening to begin with, so it makes sense. It definitely sucks for the guy who this happened to though, but then again that's why he got the big cash payout that he did, so I guess I shouldn't be feeling too bad for him.

Yeah you're right, it's a fair point. My initial reaction was just on the basis that every time somebody gets busted for a supplement the NFL endlessly touts their hotline, and in this case the guy even used it and still go screwed in the process.

This is purely a guess, but the hotline probably monitors supplements by the listed ingredients on the bottle and/or website. Some of the onus has to fall on the guy that's actually doing the ingesting.

Archived