Sanchez is all that matters

Boozer76

So many people are up in arms about Braylon and Cotchery. I liked Braylon, even better than Santonio on the field. But the bottom line is he seems to be one giant ticking time bomb right now with his off field antics. Cotchery......if he wasn't a Jet we would hardly even know of the guy. And it's not like we're sporting the 2010 Rams lineup at WR. Holmes/Burress/Mason is a pretty damned formidable WR corp no matter how you slice it. In the end though that is not what is going to make this team better or worse this season. It's all on Sanchez, and I think that's a good thing. I was heavily against starting Sanchez back when he was a rookie. I thought it was nuts to even consider it because I thought throwing a kid with so little experience in the fire was going to destroy his confidence and his future. I was way off on that. Not only that, when Marty Schottenheimer said that you have succeeded when your QB plays as well in his 2nd year as he did as a rookie you've won, he was right. Well Sanchez clearly took the next step in his second season and, while he wasn't great, he played very well.

This is now moving time for him. Year 3 is generally the season where young QB's really make their mark in this league. Sanchez has been unique in the fact that he plays better as the pressure builds. You can hype guys like Flacco or Matty "Ice" all you want, but bottom line those guys do not have that edge that Mark has. They're prototypical robotic cut from the mold QB's that seem to have all the technique but I just don't see the fire that Sanchez has. We drafted Mark in the top 5 and the expectation is he develops to that level of play. We didn't draft him to be the next Chad ****ing Pennington or Trent Dilfer, we drafted him to be the next Jim Kelly, Phil Simms, or John Elway. The FO has now put their eggs in his basket and have made all their moves to field a top notch defense and put all the pieces around Sanchez to put points on the board. If Sanchez progresses the way that he should then we have one of the more potent offenses in the league to go with what is undoubtedly going to be a top 5 defense. That's winning football, and that's why this is by far the best team we've had in years.

I agree that this team lives and dies with Sanchez but in order for him to be a success he has to have good weapons. He is not a Brady or Manning or Brees who can make decent receivers look great he needs great receivers to make him look good. Do we have those types of receivers with the Jets? Time will tell.

He is not a Brady or Manning or Brees who can make decent receivers look great....

Why not? We drafted him 5th overall! Does Joe Flacco (who mind you I think is one of the most overrated QB's in the league) need and all world WR corp? Does Matt Ryan? Matt Stafford? Sam Bradford? Mark Sanchez was drafted to be a star. You don't trade up to 5th overall for a QB for any other reason but for him to be a star. If Sanchez can't succeed with Holmes, Burress, Mason, Keller, and Tomlinson as his receiving targets then he never will. I don't know what happened in the NFL where 3 pro bowl receivers, a HOF RB regarded as one of the best receiving RB's ever, and a 1st round receiving TE doesn't seem to be enough. This is nuts. We have an absurdly potent offense right now. Quite frankly I think the biggest question on offense is whether Greene can handle the load for the season, followed closely by whether McKnight or Powell can positively contribute.

So many people are up in arms about Braylon and Cotchery. I liked Braylon, even better than Santonio on the field. But the bottom line is he seems to be one giant ticking time bomb right now with his off field antics. Cotchery......if he wasn't a Jet we would hardly even know of the guy. And it's not like we're sporting the 2010 Rams lineup at WR. Holmes/Burress/Mason is a pretty damned formidable WR corp no matter how you slice it. In the end though that is not what is going to make this team better or worse this season. It's all on Sanchez, and I think that's a good thing. I was heavily against starting Sanchez back when he was a rookie. I thought it was nuts to even consider it because I thought throwing a kid with so little experience in the fire was going to destroy his confidence and his future. I was way off on that. Not only that, when Marty Schottenheimer said that you have succeeded when your QB plays as well in his 2nd year as he did as a rookie you've won, he was right. Well Sanchez clearly took the next step in his second season and, while he wasn't great, he played very well.

This is now moving time for him. Year 3 is generally the season where young QB's really make their mark in this league. Sanchez has been unique in the fact that he plays better as the pressure builds. You can hype guys like Flacco or Matty "Ice" all you want, but bottom line those guys do not have that edge that Mark has. They're prototypical robotic cut from the mold QB's that seem to have all the technique but I just don't see the fire that Sanchez has. We drafted Mark in the top 5 and the expectation is he develops to that level of play. We didn't draft him to be the next Chad ****ing Pennington or Trent Dilfer, we drafted him to be the next Jim Kelly, Phil Simms, or John Elway. The FO has now put their eggs in his basket and have made all their moves to field a top notch defense and put all the pieces around Sanchez to put points on the board. If Sanchez progresses the way that he should then we have one of the more potent offenses in the league to go with what is undoubtedly going to be a top 5 defense. That's winning football, and that's why this is by far the best team we've had in years.

everyone keeps saying mason is a jet.i havnt heard 1 confirmed report of this.please stop throwing mason's name around till he is signed

I was under the impression it's all but a done deal. I guess in the end my hat is really off to tannenbaum and Ryan. They've brought in so much talent that fans are so spoiled as to expect probowlers at every position, even as backups. And even more so for Ryan in the fact that he's protected his young qb so much that fans don't even consider expecting him to play at the level he was drafted.

I agree that this team lives and dies with Sanchez but in order for him to be a success he has to have good weapons. He is not a Brady or Manning or Brees who can make decent receivers look great he needs great receivers to make him look good. Do we have those types of receivers with the Jets? Time will tell.

sanchez doesn't have to make his receiver's great he just has to get on the same page as them.

Archived