Jets Notes: Wilkerson Out

flgreen

Jets notes: Wilkerson out

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Wilkerson out

First-rounder Muhammad Wilkerson injured his hip during Tuesday’s practice and was held out of the team drills as a precaution.

The projected starter at defensive end after being taken with the 30th pick out of Temple will also have today to rest as the Jets are off.

"We were very fortunate around the draft, we had the one day that we were open for business," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "We got him a playbook, got him some film to watch, called Mike DeVito and said, ‘Take this kid under your wing.’"

Defensive end Ropati Pitoitua, who will spell Wilkerson after tearing his Achilles’ tendon and missing 2010, said he’s back to 100 percent.

No Plax again

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress again did not practice as the Jets remain cautious about his tweaked left ankle. Coach Rex Ryan said the team is trying to avoid "that big setback."

Burress, who briefly snuck into Sunday’s team drills and participated in a few plays Monday, did catch balls from the Jugs machine.

Rex explains

Ryan said his comment that "there’s no way I’m going to wish him well" after defensive end Shaun Ellis signed with the Patriots is harsher than it sounds.

"Boy, that shows up in print a little different than you intended it," Ryan said. "It could be my son and I’d be like, I want him to be healthy but I don’t wish him well if he’s playing for our archrival."

The Patriots placed Ellis on the physically-unable-to-perform list, most likely because he did not pass their conditioning test.

Briefs

Rob Turner saw first-team snaps at right guard so Vladimir Ducasse could see time at right tackle, where he’s expected to back up Wayne Hunter. … Running back Joe McKnight (left ankle) sat out team drills. … Practice was forced indoors and closed to the public due to rain.

— Andrew Gross

Archived