Yankees acquire 3B Chase Headley from Padres

Jetlife33

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11248146/chase-headley-traded-new-york-yankees-san-diego-padres

The New York Yankees have acquired third baseman Chase Headley in a trade Tuesday with theSan Diego Padres.

[+] Enlargeinsider_g_chaseh_cr_300x200.jpg
Denis Poroy/Getty ImagesChase Headley has struggled at the plate this season but could provide an offensive boost for the Yankees.

The Yankees dealt infielder Yangervis Solarte and minor league pitcher Rafael De Paula to San Diego in exchange for Headley, who could boost New York's struggling lineup.

The Padres also will send $1 million to the Yankees in the deal, a source told ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand. Headley is scheduled to become a free agent after this season.

The 30-year-old Headley is batting just .229 with seven home runs and 32 RBIs this season but could help a Yankees offense that entered Tuesday with a team average of .252.

Headley hit 31 home runs and led the National League with 115 RBIs in 2012. His numbers dipped to .250 with 13 homers and 50 RBIs a year ago after he rebuffed the Padres' willingness to negotiate a deal during the season.

Headley settled on a one-year, $10.5 million contract in January to avoid arbitration.

ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

He can hold down the fort until ARod returns next year, lol.

He's definitely an upgrade at 3B for the bombers. Hopefully he regains his form from a few years ago. Change of scenery could do the trick, especially when the change of scenery is playing your home games at Yankee Stadium instead of Petco park.

Great call maxman. Can you call a World Series championship for the Yanks too so it happens :)

Sure thing. I just have to wait until after it happens like I did in this thread.  I am good at calling the past.  Really good haha.

Archived