..for Brian Winters, Suh awaits ~ ~ ~

kelly

With Willie Colon's knee keeping him out of practice this week, Brian Winters is ready to step back in as a starting guard for the Jets against the Dolphins.And he says that running into Miami's new DT, Ndamukong Suh, is just another day at the office."He's a good player, but I'm going to take it like any other game," Winters said after today's practice. "It's the same every week. You get someone else. I'm not worried about it."

Winters, of course, will be prepared for the big dude named Suh, who left Detroit for Miami as an unrestricted free agent.Suh (6'4", 305) can be formidable, and Winters (6'4", 320) has had his ups and downs, but he's also had stretches of solid play as the strongman third-rounder out of Kent State in 2013. He became the LG starter in Game 5 as a rookie and made 18 straight starts until a knee injury ended last season in Game 6."Obviously it was a little rough, a little setback," he said of his ACL rehab. "But I am where I am now. I've grown as a player and gotten better."Winters actually ran into Suh a bit in Game 4 at MetLife Stadium last season. Mostly Suh lined up on the Lions' left side over RG Colon, but LG Winters trapped him successfully on a run play and held him out on some pass rushes. For the game Suh was not prominent with a single tackle and no sacks or QB hits.

The Jets O-line — with Winters at his more comfortable right-side spot — now will try to neutralize the Dolphins' dangerous front four of Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon on the ends and Suh and Earl Mitchell (limited at practice with a back injury) inside.Yet the Dolphins have not gotten off to the big rush one might expect with Wake and Suh — their one sack through three games is tied for last in the NFL.

“I’ve gone through this before," Suh said from Miami. "Teams don’t want us to get sacks and I commend them for that. At the end of the day, we have to go out there and will ourselves to sacks. Nobody is going to give them to us."Head coach Todd Bowles had a different W-word for Winters' challenge this week: "Eat your Wheaties."But Bowles also had words of confidence in Winters, now in line to become only the third different Jets RG starter in the last 12 seasons, after Brandon Moore and, for the last 34 games, Colon.

"Brian's a tough guy," the coach said. "He'll fight."

rest of above article  :  

>   http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/NotesQuotes-For-Brian-Winters-Suh-Awaits/4e45737b-2612-4192-95c9-2faa9d34bbbe

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Highlighting two players who figure to have integral roles this week for the New York Jets in their game against the Miami Dolphins :

~ ~  Brian Winters, right guard  : Starting for the first time in a year, Winters draws one of the toughest assignments in the NFL -- Ndamukong Suh. The $114 million defensive tackle is off to a slow start -- six solo tackles, no sacks and no impact on the run defense, which ranks 31st. But the Jets are treating Suh like a sleeping grizzly, capable of wreaking havoc at any time. In three games, he has lined up at left defensive tackle (over the right guard) on 119 of 145 snaps, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Winters, who starts for the injuredWillie Colon, has nowhere to hide. Naturally, he will get help from center Nick Mangold and right tackle Breno Giacomini. It has to be a team effort because there's no way Winters, who tends to lean in his pass-protection sets, can handle Suh one-on-one.

rest of above article :  

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54633/buster-skrine-holds-key-to-jets-pass-defense-against-dolphins

Archived