JETS QB's.. a Rocky Road ~ ~ ~

kelly

This is the fourth in a series highlighting players who could be selected by the New York Jets with the sixth overall pick in the April 27 draft :

Player: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

Height/weight: 6-foot-2, 222 pounds

Scouts, Inc. ranking: No. 28.

Draft projection: First to 12th.

Scouting report: Trubisky is one of the wild cards of the draft -- talented, but inexperienced. He sat on the bench for two seasons, behind Marquise Williams, before starting 13 games in 2016. He could've returned to school for another year of seasoning, but he decided to enter what is generally regarded as a weak quarterback draft class. Trubisky has appealing traits -- a strong enough arm (not a rifle), good mobility in the pocket and toughness. He doesn't get rattled by the pass rush and he can take a hit. There will be a transition because he played in a spread offense. He played almost exclusively in the shotgun (only one pass attempt from under center), so he will have to learn new footwork. Many evaluators believe he has the tools to succeed in the NFL, but he'll need time to develop in the right system. The Jets have done as much pre-draft homework on Trubisky as any quarterback in recent years. His ability to throw on the run would fit their anticipated West Coast system.

Key stats: He set school records last season with 30 touchdown passes, 304 completions, 447 attempts and 3,748 yards. Of course, we're not talking about Quarterback U. Since the common draft started in 1967, only four quarterbacks from UNC have been drafted -- none in the first four rounds. Trubisky gets dinged for his blitz recognition, yet he completed 71 percent of his attempts against the blitz, the best among power-5 quarterbacks. He completed 53 percent on throws of at least 10 yards, tops in the ACC. His accuracy slipped on passes of at least 20 yards -- 35 percent (29th among the power-5). He had only six interceptions in '16, including two in near-hurricane conditions.

Red flags: His scarlet number is 13 -- the number of collegiate starts (and 8-5 record). The next-fewest among this year's top quarterbacks is Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer (23). Trubisky has drawn comparisons to Mark Sanchez, who had only 16 when he came out of USC in 2009. There's still so much he hasn't seen. His inexperience was evident in the Sun Bowl loss to Stanford, when he threw two costly interceptions.

Scouts' take: ESPN's Todd McShay: "He has the best pocket presence of the quarterbacks in this class. He’s up there among the most accurate in terms of all three levels of the field. He’s just as mobile as (Deshaun) Watson and he has a toughness and charisma that Watson has. ... I worry about the 13 starts, his lack of game experience, and wonder how long it will take to get ready and be an adequate starter in the league."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68163/a-look-at-why-quarterback-needy-jets-are-tantalized-by-mitchell-trubisky

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mitch-trubisky-78fab4411df9e19f.jpg
6. NEW YORK JETS: MITCH TRUBISKY, QB 

Taking Trubisky after taking quarterback Christian Hackenberg last year in the second round is a risk. But the bigger risk for the Jets? Going into next season without a clear answer at quarterback -- and Trubisky is the best bet they have in the draft of getting a franchise-changing quarterback. 

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, in a conference call yesterday, gave a rather blunt assessment of the top four QB prospects. This pertains to the Jets because they're in the market. Kiper: "I think the reason why there's some red flags here with these quarterbacks is number one, [Mitchell] Trubisky with only 13 starts has some inconsistent, uneven performances. Then you look at Deshaun Watson, struggled early in the year and then gets it together late. Then you think about Patrick Mahomes, coming out of that Red Raider offense is an automatic red flag. DeShone Kizer comes out with all that talent, but then has a disappointing year. ... All four of those have bust potential for those reasons, and three of those four are probably going to go in the first round."

Ryan Fitzpatrick decides to keep playing (if anyone wants him)

Veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick endured a season that would make most want to quit football. Fitzpatrick considered doing just that, before deciding to return.

I’m working out, excited for my next opportunity,” Fitzpatrick told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “Once the draft happens, the picture will become much clearer.”

Or maybe not. There’s a huge difference between rolling the dice on a rookie and adding a thirtysomething veteran who at this point would enter a locker room as an extra arm for offseason workouts and, possibly, the start-of-season No. 2.

Still, Fitzpatrick has decided to give it another try after a trying 2016 season.

“Last year was the hardest year I’ve had,” Fitzpatrick told Myers. “Last year was the most difficult year for me. Not physically, just kind of mentally and emotionally. I had to take a step back and think about it. Is this something I still want to do? Football is something so ingrained in me, something I love doing and definitely something I want to do. I still want to compete and I still think I can contribute whether I am in a starting role or whatever capacity.”

He arrived with the Jets two years ago as the backup to Geno Smith. One broken jaw later, Fitzpatrick had one of the finest years of his career. In 2016, a contract impasse kept him away until the start of training camp, and the magic from the prior year was long gone.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/18/ryan-fitzpatrick-decides-to-keep-playing-if-anyone-wants-him/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

It's important to have dreams. It's especially important around the time of the NFL draft, an event that carries with it the highest of football-fan hopes. Teams and their fans spend the time leading into and out of the draft dreaming that all of the unproven young men whose names they'll call in one 48-hour period will be the answer to all of their problems and prayers.Carl Sandburg wrote, "Nothing happens unless first we dream." He also wrote, "The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to." Neither of those quotes was about the NFL draft, but the first one could have been. Without first dreaming of what it might bring, who would watch the draft? Without first dreaming of their ideal scenarios, how would teams evaluate how they did ?

With all of that in mind, we present our second "Draft Dreams" column -- a look at the dream scenario for each NFL team's first pick(s) in this year's draft. Last year's Draft Dreams column offered some pretty prescient stuff, if we do say so ourselves. So take your time with this. Some of these teams are going to wake up Sunday morning very happy. Some will spend another lonesome year talking to the moon. You never know which of your dreams may come true.

~ ~ nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Pick No. 6: New York Jets

Find the quarterback of their dreams.

Remember a couple of years ago when Leonard Williams fell to the Jets at this spot and they were all like, "Well, he's too good to pass up, so let's take him and figure out the rest of the plan later"? Could happen again, except this time with someone like Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas. And if it does, you could totally see the Jets doing the same thing they did with Williams. Problem is, they already have too many defensive linemen, and none of them can throw with any accuracy from inside the pocket. The Jets need someone more exciting than Josh McCown or Christian Hackenberg taking training camp snaps this summer. Trade down, trade up, sit tight and take Deshaun Watson ... whatever. Their dream scenario is that someday they look back on 2017 as the year they found their franchise quarterback.

rest of above article : 

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19210939/dream-2017-nfl-draft-scenarios-all-32-nfl-teams-best-case-scenarios-first-round

-- Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan on Monday, during his pre-draft press conference, offered some encouraging news about quarterback Bryce Petty.Petty injured his left shoulder in December and required surgery to repair a torn labrum. The good news for Petty: It is his non-throwing shoulder. 

Maccagnan said Monday that Petty is now able to throw, which is a big step forward for the quarterback as the Jets near the beginning of spring practices."Based on my knowledge of the rehab that's been relayed to me by the trainer, he can physically throw," Maccagnan said. "He's still in his rehabilitation process. Going forward here, he'll be fully cleared at some point in time. To my knowledge, he is able to throw as of right now." 

The Jets drafted Petty in Round 4 in 2015, and then took Christian Hackenberg in Round 2 last year. They could take a quarterback at No. 6 overall (like Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson) when the 2017 NFL Draft begins Thursday night. 

Since the Jets signed veteran journeyman Josh McCown in free agency already this offseason, another quarterback draft pick this week likely would mean the end for Petty with the Jets.Petty didn't play as a rookie. He debuted last season and was not exactly impressive: six games, four starts, three touchdowns, seven interceptions, 60.0 quarterback rating. 

If the Jets don't draft another quarterback this week, Petty would compete this spring and summer with McCown and Hackenberg for the starting job.The Jets begin organized team activities practices May 23. They'll have 10 OTAs practices, plus three mandatory minicamp dates in mid-June. The Jets will begin training camp in late July, and that's when the quarterback competition will heat up. We'll see who is involved in it. 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/how_close_is_jets_bryce_petty_to_returning_from_sh.html#incart_river_index

The Jets didn’t draft a quarterback, passing up perhaps their biggest need and signaling that they’ll go into the 2017 season with the guys they have.

Those guys — Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg — will all get an opportunity to compete for the starting job. Jets coach Todd Bowles said after the draft that the quarterbacks’ performance in minicamps and Organized Team Activities will determine what the depth chart looks like at the start of training camp, and all three quarterbacks will get plenty of reps with the first-string offense.

That will determine itself in OTAs and the spring, going forward, how we line up in the summer,” Bowles said, via ESPN.Hackenberg was a second-round pick last year who never got on the field in the regular season, Petty was a fourth-round pick two years ago who hasn’t shown much, and McCown is a veteran who is probably the favorite to start because he’s the only one of the three who has ever shown himself capable of being an NFL starter.

It’s not an exciting group of quarterbacks for Jets fans, but after the draft, it appears to be the group of quarterbacks the Jets will have in the 2017 season.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/02/jets-pass-on-quarterbacks-in-the-draft-plan-a-three-man-competition/

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets legend Joe Namath cast his vote Tuesday in the Jets' quarterback competition. "I'd like to see (Christian) Hackenberg get a shot, and I'd like to see him win the job," Namath said at a charity event in Manhattan. "That would give us the (hope of), 'Hey, lookie here. Maybe we don't do it this year. We'll get ready the year after that.'" Namath called Josh McCown "a good leader," but added, "I'd certainly like to see Hackenberg blossom."

This is what you call blind hope.

New York Jets legend Joe Namath cast his vote Tuesday in the upcoming quarterback competition, saying he's rooting for the untested Christian Hackenberg to capture the starting position for his old team."I’d like to see Hackenberg get a shot, and I’d like to see him win the job,” Namath told reporters at a charity event in New York. “That would give us the [hope of], ‘Hey, lookie here. Maybe we don’t do it this year, but boy, we’ll get ready next year. We’ll get ready the year after that.’”

Hackenberg's body of work consists of two shaky preseason performances last summer, but the former second-round pick from Penn State has a chance to start -- or so the Jets say. He's competing against well-traveled veteran Josh McCown and, to a lesser degree, the currently injured Bryce Petty (surgically repaired left shoulder).“I know what Josh McCown can do," Namath said. "He’s a good leader. He’s solid. Hopefully, the team can step up and give him support [if he plays]."But the Hall of Fame quarterback added, “I’m not wishing Josh any bad luck, but I certainly would like to see Hackenberg blossom.”

The Jets haven't had a true franchise quarterback since Namath, who last played for them in 1976 -- seven years after leading the Jets to their only Super Bowl title. McCown, 37, is the favorite to win the job based on his experience, but you can bet Hackenberg will get a shot at some point."We've got to find a quarterback," owner Woody Johnson said at the same charity event.

No matter what happens in training camp, the Jets will have their fourth different opening-day starter in six years.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68542/joe-namath-pulling-for-christian-hackenberg-to-win-jets-qb-job

Josh McCown wants to be the New York Jets' starting quarterback. He expects to win the job and keep it.

Yes, he's still competitive after all these years and all those stops in his career. But the 37-year-old McCown also recognizes there's more to this gig. He's getting $6 million to be a bridge quarterback, which, in the language of the NFL, means he'll play until someone younger is ready to take over.

Mark it down : Christian Hackenberg will start at some point in 2017. If not, it's a wasted season for the Jets. In the meantime, McCown's job is to raise the bar in the quarterback room. He intends to beat Hackenberg and Bryce Petty in the open competition, which is what the Jets are calling this three-man ... uh, situation.

"That's the goal," McCown said Wednesday, commenting for the first time since signing in March. "You go in to compete and win the job. If it changes, it changes. My mindset is to come and learn the offense, do everything I can to master it this spring and training camp. Then, if I'm the guy, play the position as well as I can until it changes.

"Obviously, as a competitor, you don't expect that to change. You don't want that to change. I plan to go out and play well."

McCown hasn't played well in a few years. He has lost 20 of his past 22 starts, with 29 touchdowns and 24 interceptions over that three-year span. Not good. But he has brought a winning attitude to his new job -- his ninth team -- and that will be an important dynamic in the quarterback room.The success of the upcoming season hinges, in large part, on improvement at quarterback. Just ask owner Woody Johnson. McCown will have a role, whether he's playing or carrying a clipboard.The offseason program began only two weeks ago, but McCown already has impressed folks inside the building at One Jets Drive with his professionalism and upbeat personality. On the field, he's a vocal presence. Guard Brian Winters called him "a great leader," adding that McCown "wasn't quiet, wasn't sitting in the back. [He was] trying to lead us from the beginning."

Yes, McCown is looking out for No. 1, but he also embraces his role as a mentor to No. 2 and No. 3.

"I look forward to every day coming in and working with Hack and Bryce, and trying to give away the things that I learned in my career and, hopefully, make their journeys better as they go through their careers," he said. "That is the goal. That is something I believe in as a person, not just inside football, but in every walk of life."Quarterback competitions can get messy. They can chafe feelings and divide a locker room. McCown recognizes the value of keeping the peace, but it can be a challenge to strike a balance between sage mentor and fierce competitor."It's a full competition between the three of us," he said. "I think all three of us will approach it as trying to be the guy. I think that's good for our team. It's healthy for our team for all of us to compete as hard as we can."

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan made the correct choice not drafting a quarterback in the NFL draft.

The truth is, New York never should have even entertained the thought.

The Jets invested a second round pick in Christian Hackenberg last year and it’s way too early to pull the plug on their investment before he even steps on the field in a regular season game.Unlike last year when he was glued to the bench, Hackenberg will receive a real shot to be the Jets starting quarterback, beginning in Phase I of the offseason program.

Todd Bowles has stated that there will be an equal and open competition between Hackenberg, Bryce Petty and journeyman Josh McCown. McCown will be the favorite due to experience, but make no mistake, Hackenberg is the clear preference.He doesn’t have to come in and be Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, but Hackenberg needs to show improvement from a season ago when he looked overmatched in the preseason. That alone should be enough to overtake Petty and McCown, who’s won just two of his previous 20 starts.

Hackenberg signifies hope for the Jets. The former Penn State QB has everything that it takes to be a franchise quarterback. He has prototypical size and the mental acumen to handle an NFL offense. If he can put it all together, he can be the quarterback that has eluded New York for the better part of the last 40 years.With Hackenberg’s redshirt year in the past, the time is now for him to step up and be the Jets starting quarterback.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/04/time-is-now-for-christian-hackenberg-to-take-jets-starting-qb-job/

The New York Jets will take the field Friday for the start of rookie minicamp, and it will include a quarterback who is anything but a rookie -- McLeod Bethel-Thompson, who is 28 years old.The well-traveled Bethel-Thompson, who has spent time with five different NFL teams, is participating in the minicamp as a non-roster player -- i.e. a weekend tryout. He's coming off a stint in The Spring League, which bills itself as an instructional league and a showcase for professional talent.

His last NFL stop was the Philadelphia Eagles. He was on their preseason roster last summer, but was released on the final cutdown. Previously, he was with the San Francisco 49ers (three times), Miami Dolphins (twice), Minnesota Vikings (twice) and New England Patriots.

He has yet to play in a regular-season game.

The Jets needed some camp arms for their minicamp and they likely will add a fourth quarterback to the roster for training camp, behind Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68564/qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson-will-have-tryout-at-jets-minicamp

Everyone has an opinion on who should start as the New York Jets' quarterback.

Few of those opinions matter.

While Joe Namath might not have the ear of the coaches, the Jets legend offered his view on the road Gang Green should take in 2017."I would like to see [Christian] Hackenberg," Namath said, via NJ.com. "I think we need someone for the future."

Josh McCown was signed as the bridge quarterback and appears set to earn the opening day gig. Given the 37-year-old veteran's injury history, even if coach Todd Bowles goes with the "safe" option out of the gate, it's likely we'll see Hackenberg and/or Bryce Petty at some point in 2017.Namath is among Jets fans who think the team should just roll with Hackenberg and give the second-year pro a chance to sink or swim. McCown has a clear ceiling. Hackenberg is a complete unknown.

"This is no reflection on Josh," Namath said. "He's a proven veteran and brings a lot to the team. But realistically, you want to make the playoffs, win a Super Bowl. We have to get the guy who can do that."If Hackenberg is that guy, the Jets finally solved the problem. If it's not, #ScamForSam -- an attempt to position itself to draft USC quarterback Sam Darnold -- is in full effect. Before the Jets can finally find the franchise QB to lift them past the Patriots, first they need to determine whether second-round pick Hackenberg can be that answer.

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000807610/article/joe-namath-wants-to-see-christian-hackenberg-start

With offseason practices set to begin in less than two weeks, the New York Jets are close to entering a quarterback labyrinth. They have three options, two agendas (short and long term) and one massive headache. There are no guarantees; each one could lead to a dead end.

Led by former Jets great Joe Namath, there seems to be growing support for Christian Hackenberg among media types and fans, but these aren't your typical endorsements. They're more like, "Play the kid right away. What do they have to lose?"With apologies to Broadway Joe, whose opinion I respect, that would be the wrong approach. Here's why :

Hackenberg shouldn't be handed the position; he should have to earn it. He hasn't done anything in 12 months, except get picked in the second round. A quarterback selected that high usually gets a shot, but that sort of draft pedigree doesn't come with a certificate of entitlement.

Coach Todd Bowles wants to run a meritocracy -- the best players play -- and it would look bad if Hackenberg is starting over a better player. It would send a bad message on so many levels. The notion that Hackenberg should play from Day 1 because the Jets are doomed anyway is a ridiculous premise -- loser's logic. You'd be turning 2017 into a 16-game preseason, experimenting with personnel instead of trying to win.

Using my Herm Edwards voice ... you play to win the game.

Especially if you're Bowles, who needs to win some games to keep his job.

If Hackenberg outplays veteran Josh McCown in OTAs, goes into training camp as the No. 1 and doesn't implode in the preseason, he should be the starter, no question. If they play to a draw, the tie should go to the younger player with the upside. That's how it works in the NFL. Bryce Petty will get a chance, too, but he's a long shot.

The Jets would be thrilled if Hackenberg takes command of the quarterback competition and makes everybody forget about the jittery, wild-throwing rookie who completed 11 of 31 passes for 54 yards in the final preseason game last year. What are the chances of that happening? Slim. It could happen over time, but it's unrealistic to expect a player with no regular-season experience to improve that much that quickly.

"I'd like to see Hackenberg get in there because I think we need somebody for the future," Namath said the other night at a charity event in Manhattan.

Every fan would like to see Hackenberg because he's the mystery man, and the Jets' tortured fan base is desperate to wrap its arms around somebody. But Bowles' job is to win games, and that means playing the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.And that probably means McCown even though his recent track record (2-20 as a starter over the last three seasons) won't send currents of electricity through MetLife Stadium. But he's a good leader and he can function at the line of scrimmage, and those are important qualities when you're installing a new system and essentially starting over on offense. He's already taking charge, according to players.

Make no mistake: Hackenberg will get his shot in 2017. There will be plenty of time to evaluate him before deciding whether they need to draft another quarterback in 2018. But it's pointless to toss him out there for the sake of satisfying a curiosity.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68716/what-do-jets-have-to-lose-by-rushing-christian-hackenberg-plenty

-- Even though he didn't play a single regular-season snap as a rookie, Christian Hackenberg believes he's entering 2017 with "a different level of confidence" -- and he expects that to serve him well in the New York Jets' quarterback competition."I'm a lot more comfortable in Year 2," he said Monday, speaking to reporters for the first time since the end of the season. "I really, really feel good about where I'm at."

Hackenberg will compete against veteran Josh McCown and third-year quarterback Bryce Petty, who started four games last year. Coach Todd Bowles is calling it an open competition, saying all three will get a shot in the spring.

McCown, 37, is the favorite based on his experience in the league, but Hackenberg -- a former second-round pick -- will get every chance to prove himself."I think I got better in a lot of ways, even going back to the day I stepped foot in the building until the end of the season," said Hackenberg, who was active for only one game and spent a good chunk of 2016 as the fourth quarterback on a four-man depth chart.The Jets were criticized for not getting Hackenberg into a game. They called it a "redshirt year," but there were private concerns about his readiness.

Bowles said recently that he expects Hackenberg to have more "pep in his step" now that he's competing for the starting job.Hackenberg agreed with that, adding he's "more confident in the situation, more confident walking in the building, more confident with the guys in the locker room and in the huddle."He called it "natural growth." There's pressure on him because, if he doesn't show significant progress, the Jets likely will try to tap into what experts are calling a loaded 2018 quarterback class.

Despite intense speculation, the Jets didn't draft a quarterback last month. Hackenberg said he doesn't necessarily view that as a vote of confidence."Whether that's a sign of confidence or not, I have to hold up my end and get better and continue to grow and take advantage of this spring and summer," he said, speaking at teammate David Harris' charity golf outing in New Jersey.Petty, who shared a golf cart with Hackenberg, said he has been cleared to participate in OTA practices, which start next week. He underwent surgery in December to repair a torn labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder.

Petty said he's "full speed, full tilt. Everything is good. I'm clicking right now."

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19389253/new-york-jets-quarterback-christian-hackenberg-lot-more-comfortable-year-two

-- In 2015, Bryce Petty was like an unwrapped Christmas present. He didn't get on the field, but he tantalized the New York Jets' fan base with the possibility of what he could be.

A year ago, he finally got a chance to play, but he struggled and got hurt.

Now as he prepares for his third season, Petty must feel like he's on the Island of Misfit Toys. (Fans of the old TV classic, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," will understand the reference.)The No. 1 storyline surrounding the Jets' quarterback situation is whether Christian Hackenberg can beat out grizzled veteran Josh McCown, making Petty an afterthought even though it's a three-way competition, according to coach Todd Bowles.Petty might not be as popular as he was a year ago -- at least not from an outside perspective -- but he's not ready to concede anything. He believes he can win the starting job.

"Yeah, why not?" he said Monday at teammate David Harris' charity golf outing. "Why not? It's an open competition, so for me, it's open."

You have to admire Petty's moxie. Unlike Hackenberg, who measures every word with the media, Petty lets his emotions show. If he can translate that outward confidence into production, the Jets might have something.Problem is, the organization has doubts about whether he can be a long-term starter, and those doubts weren't erased in limited action last season --four starts. Of the 39 quarterbacks who attempted at least 100 passes, Petty finished last in Total QBR -- 19.8.

But don't tell him he can't be The Guy.

"For me, it's not could," he said. "It's can. That's important."

In fairness to Petty, it should be noted he was thrown into a hopeless situation, leading an injury-plagued offense in the latter stages of a lost season. That's a tough spot, especially for a neophyte quarterback. But at the same time, he didn't distinguish himself with his decision making and ability to read defenses.His season ended prematurely, with a torn labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder. Surgery was performed last December, and now Petty is ready to participate in OTA practices, he said. They begin next week.

"Everything is good," Petty said. "I'm clicking right now."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68787/bryce-petty-says-hes-healthy-ready-to-battle-for-jets-quarterback-job

Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif is a fiery competitor and he wants nothing more than to be the Jets’ starting quarterback. But McCown, who is entering his 15th NFL season, has every intention of helping both Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gifand Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif take their games to the next level.

“If I’m helping those guys and they’re at their best, then it’s pushing me to be at an even better level,” he said recently. “At the end of the day, everybody improves and gets better and ultimately the team wins. That’s the idea. We’ll compete like crazy.”McCown has a big advantage in terms of experience, having started 60 career games and lined up in 82 contests. Petty appeared in six games while making four starts last season and Hackenberg, a second-round pick in 2016, did not taste NFL action as a rookie.“Both are gifted throwers with the football, they can really spin it. I envy some of that, but both are really willing to work and do what it takes to learn this offense,” McCown said.

All three signal callers are learning a new system under offensive coordinator John Morton, but McCown had some brief interaction with the new OC in San Francisco and he also played for QB coach Jeremy Bates in Chicago back in 2012.“Sometimes I think when you’re a young player, you don’t know what you don’t know. So, what’s it going to take for them to good in this offense? That’s kind of the conversation we talk about,” McCown said. “Everybody’s different and you have to understand what the hours are you need to study. All of those things that when you walk to the line of scrimmage, you’re going to know the play, you’re going to feel great about it, you’re going to know the answer to every situation and what you have to do to get there. That’s about playing this position and they’re both willing to do that and that’s half the battle when you have guys that are willing to do that. You have a chance to grow and be successful.”

Next week, the Jets will move to Phase Three of their offseason program. Over the course of three weeks, the team will have 10 organized team activities where 7-on-7, 9-on-7 and team drills are permitted. Then in late July, the Green & White will report for training camp and the three-way QB battle will heat up even more.

“It’s fun to get out there and throw it alongside them and hopefully the competition will continue to bring the best out of all of us,” McCown said.

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/What-McCown-Likes-About-Hackenberg-and-Petty/6defe1ff-bde1-469e-8c0f-69d530f54702

How confident are you in your team's quarterback situation?

Wait. Before you answer that, let's get a couple of things straight.

Although this is the time of year for unbridled NFL optimism -- post-draft, pre-minicamp, very few injuries so far -- it's important not to confuse optimism with confidence. If you are, say, a Bears fan, you can talk yourself into feeling very good about a situation that involves Mike Glennon's latest shot to be a starter combined with the future of Mitchell Trubisky. But that's a hopeful feeling. Confidence has to wait for some evidence -- real confidence does, at least.

Also, note the phrase above: "quarterback situation." That means that although you might like your team's starter better than some other teams' starters, to answer our question, you must ask a few more questions. How confident are you that your starter can play all 16 games? How much longer can he play? How good do you feel about the backup if he has to play?

These are the factors that go into our occasional feature called the "QB Confidence Index." Here, we examine each of the 32 NFL teams' quarterback pictures, throw them into tiers and rank them based on how confident each team is right now. This list changes throughout the year, and again, it's intended as something more than just a ranking of starting quarterbacks. Keep that in mind before you get mad about where your guy is sitting.

Let's start with the top tier :

~ ~ NO EARTHLY IDEA

~ ~ nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

32. New York Jets

The Jets brought in Josh McCown, who's in line to start until they figure out what they have in Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. Officials from three teams whom I spoke with for this project called the Jets' quarterback situation the worst in the league, and more than one speculated that the Jets would be in prime position to take advantage of next year's well-regarded quarterback draft class. That, obviously, does not scream "confidence," but someone has to come in last.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19404168/quarterback-confidence-index-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-post-draft-offseason-rankings

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Are you ready for some football ? Nearly five months after one of the worst seasons in team history, the Jets return to the field Tuesday for the start of OTAs. They have 10 noncontact practices during the next three weeks, followed by a mandatory minicamp. The big story is the quarterback competition -- specifically Christian Hackenberg, who has been removed from bubble wrap.

This will be a slow process for Hackenberg, who, quite frankly, isn't a great fit in John Morton's offense -- a West Coast-style system, assuming he sticks to what he knows.The West Coast scheme is predicated on timing and accuracy, especially on short passes. Accuracy is an issue for Hackenberg, whose adjusted completion rate (counting drops, spikes, etc.) was 64 percent in his final year at Penn State, according to Pro Football Focus. That ranked 120th in the nation. The previous year, he was 104th. I talked to an opposing scout who studied him in pregame warmups for one game last season and was taken aback by how many off-target passes he threw.

This is Hackenberg's fourth system in five years, dating to his freshman year, so it would be understandable if his head is spinning. He studied West Coast concepts in the offseason under his personal coach, the California-based Jordan Palmer, which should help. But now he has to perform in the crucible of competition. The Jets aren't expecting miracles; they just hope he shows improvement.Coach Todd Bowles would like to identify a presumptive starter before training camp, and the reason is because he believes in giving one quarterback the starter's share of the reps to prepare for the regular season. He's calling this an open competition, but it would be an upset if Josh McCown doesn't prevail over Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. It's hard to imagine one of the young quarterbacks overtaking the grizzled vet, especially with the limited amount of practice time.

The more realistic question for Hackenberg: Can he beat out Petty for the No. 2 job ?

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68852/prediction-for-jets-qb-christian-hackenberg-plenty-of-growing-pains

-- Josh McCown knows quarterbacks. He could write a book on all the different quarterbacks he's played with over 15 years -- a Hall of Famer (Kurt Warner), a colossal bust (JaMarcus Russell) and a train wreck (Johnny Manziel), to name a few.

This week, McCown was asked to size up Christian Hackenberg, one of his new teammates with the New York Jets.

"He's how you draw a quarterback up," McCown said. "Big, strong arm, athletic. He fits that mold, for sure. And his mindset, it's right on. He works very hard. I think he's a sharp kid. He's got a lot in front of him. He's got a great opportunity."It sounded like he was reading from Mike Maccagnan's scouting report on Hackenberg. The Jets' general manager saw those same traits in Hackenberg last year, which is why he drafted him in the second round -- higher than many teams projected.

That doesn't matter now because this is Year 2 of the Hackenberg Project, and the Jets are committed to finding out if he can develop into a starting quarterback. They see what McCown sees -- the arm and the measurables -- but they can't say for sure if he'll put it all together. They're hoping."Just make strides from last year," said coach Todd Bowles, explaining his 2017 expectations. "Obviously, he’s going to get a lot of reps, and we’re going to get to see him come out of his shell a little bit. He didn’t get a lot of reps last year, he gets a lot of reps this year. We'll see how he handles it going forward. ... Hopefully, he makes a step forward."

The Jets wrapped up their first week of OTA practices on Thursday. Three practices down, seven to go, followed by a three-day minicamp. Don't expect a definitive conclusion by then; this will be a season-long process for Hackenberg, who is splitting reps with McCown and Bryce Petty in what the Jets are calling a three-way competition.Offensive coordinator John Morton, hired in January to replace Chan Gailey, spent part of his offseason digging into Hackenberg's past. He studied three years of game tape from Penn State and tape from his rookie season, which didn't take long. Hackenberg appeared in only two preseason games and attempted just 47 passes -- 17 completions (36 percent), one touchdown, two interceptions and 159 yards.

Hackenberg didn't play in the regular season, as you may have heard.

"I love the way he prepares and the way he competes," Morton said. "I'm talking about competing in the classroom, too. Guys have to learn to do that, and be a pro and be a student of the game, and learn to take notes and those things. He's doing those things, but it's too early to tell right now, football-wise."

McCown believes part of his job is to help groom Hackenberg and Petty.

"I want to take my experiences and be able to hand it to those guys, so, hopefully, maybe they can stay in one place for a long time," McCown said.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68946/teammate-on-christian-hackenberg-hes-how-you-draw-a-quarterback-up

Archived