Saban turns down lunch with the president

NIGHT STALKER

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- When the White House called with an invitation to dine with President Bush, Dan Marino took it. But the coach of his former team said no.

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Monday that his obligations at training camp took priority over a chance to meet the president.

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the President."

The invitation was for dinner with Bush on Sunday night at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Marino, a former Dolphins quarterback and an NFL Hall of Famer, did attend, Bush said in a speech Monday.

Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president.

"We all know Nick is serious about what we're doing here and is committed to it," defensive end Jason Taylor said.

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- When the White House called with an invitation to dine with President Bush, Dan Marino took it. But the coach of his former team said no.

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Monday that his obligations at training camp took priority over a chance to meet the president.

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the President."

The invitation was for dinner with Bush on Sunday night at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Marino, a former Dolphins quarterback and an NFL Hall of Famer, did attend, Bush said in a speech Monday.

Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president.

"We all know Nick is serious about what we're doing here and is committed to it," defensive end Jason Taylor said.

Good for Nick. Training Camp and the Dolphins should come first. Brunch with Bush won't win games in october.

Turned down lunch!!!??? I am bewildefied at the thought of turning down lunch. Miami has that great Spanish cuisine too. It may not be my famous BBQ, but hell I wouldn't miss a chance at free lunch even if Lia was giving birth. Unless of course Lia was giving birth to a nicely marinated rack of ribs.

Well NSU campus & Joe's aren't exactly down the block from each other. While overrated, dinner at Joe's is hardly the same as lunch at Pollo Tropical. From NSU campus, this probably would've taken up about 4-5 hrs of time including the drive down there. I mean, when you're with the president you don't really keep checking your watch at the table.

Why would Nick Saban disrespect himself by having dinner with that joke of president?

Archived