JETS ARTICLES - THU 12/21

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/21/sports/football/21jets.html?ref=football

December 21, 2006

Mangold Stands Out by Being Inconspicuous

By KAREN CROUSE

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Dec. 20 — Nick Mangold, the Jets’ starting center, lay belly down on the field in Minnesota like a bear rug. His injury on the Jets’ second play from scrimmage last Sunday against the Vikings looked bad from any angle, especially the one his father, Vern, had from his seat in the family room of Mangold’s prospective in-laws in Ohio.

CBS, which was televising the game, took a commercial break, and as one advertisement bled into another, the thought occurred to Vern that perhaps the network was showing a lot of commercials to avoid having to televise his son being carted off in an ambulance.

It was not like the 1996 movie “Jerry Maguire,” in which Cuba Gooding Jr.’s character, receiver Rod Tidwell, is hurt during a game, and his family, which is watching the telecast, phones Tidwell’s agent at the stadium to find out the extent of the injury.

Vern did not know anybody at the Metrodome to call. “He was a nervous wreck,” Therese Mangold, Vern’s wife and Mangold’s mother, said Tuesday by telephone.

When at last the network returned to the game and showed Mangold walking off the field, Vern’s relief was palpable.

Mangold, who sustained a bruised hip when he collided with his teammate Leon Washington, returned for the Jets’ next offensive series and did not draw any attention to himself after that, a sure sign he was performing well.

After the game, Therese reached her son on his cellphone and asked about his physical well-being. He assured her that he was fine, then said, “Mother, you worry too much.”

Outsiders expressed concern at the start of the season about the Jets parting ways with the veteran Kevin Mawae, a six-time Pro Bowl center, and entrusting the line calls to Mangold, a rookie whom the team drafted in the first round, with the 29th pick over all.

It proved so much needless heedfulness. A three-year starter at Ohio State, Mangold has made a seamless transition from Division I-A football to the National Football League. He is a big reason the Jets are 8-6 and in the thick of the playoff race heading into their game Monday night at Miami.

“He’s never rattled,” quarterback Chad Pennington said. “Nothing overwhelms him, whether it’s preparation, whether it’s game time. He just takes it all in stride. It’s pretty amazing as a rookie to be able to do that.”

The 22-year-old Mangold has played as well as any rookie and better than most, including his linemate D’Brickashaw Ferguson, the No. 4 overall pick, who is having a solid season at left tackle. In 14 starts, Mangold has drawn only two penalties and has played every down except one in New England last month, which he missed after being poked in the eye.

He is a deserving candidate for the offensive Rookie of the Year award, although Mangold is really the everyman of candidates: invisible in plain sight.

Since The Associated Press began recognizing outstanding rookies in 1967, running backs have been the most honored (30), followed by receivers (7) and quarterbacks (2). A lineman has never won the award.

“I think it’s hard to overstate how good a job Nick’s done,” said left guard Pete Kendall, an 11th-year veteran, adding, “It’s hard for even guys that don’t play on the offensive line in this locker room to understand the difficulties of playing center, being a rookie and all that.”

Kendall, who started 10 games at center last season after Mawae sustained a season-ending biceps injury, added, “He’s come in and, to me, he’s played like he’s been here before.”

The transition has not been a snap. The shotgun exchange was the bane of Mangold’s training camp. He struggled with it and ended up running a lot of punishment laps. “He put the ball on the ground a couple of times,” Coach Eric Mangini said. “That fazed him and me.”

Mangold is not easily knocked away from his normal state of equilibrium. “I don’t know that I can ever say Nick’s been rattled,” said his mother, Therese, whose stolidity Mangold seems to have inherited. “Everything with him is nice and even-keeled.”

It may not look like it, Mangold said, but every week is a struggle for him. “It’s one of those things where there’s always something that you could do better,” he said.

He has learned a lot from Kendall about managing his assignments and other people’s expectations. “He has taught me about just being your own player,” Mangold said. “Not saying, ‘I’m going to go out there and I’m going to try to mold myself after someone else.’ Just going out there and taking what I know and putting that out on the field.”

EXTRA POINTS

Receiver Laveranues Coles, who has 87 catches for 1,065 yards and 6 touchdowns, did not mind being passed over for the Pro Bowl. A day after the results of the voting for the game in Hawaii on Feb. 10 were announced, Coles found out he had been voted the Jets’ most valuable player by his teammates. “That’s more important to me than any Pro Bowl I could ever make,” Coles said. “It just says that the guys really care about me and what I mean to this team.” The award was announced at a team meeting Wednesday morning. Coles said he was excited, but tried to play it cool. “You don’t want to jump up and clap for yourself, but it was great,” he said. “I’m very pleased that they feel that way about me.”

Quarterback Chad Pennington received the team’s most inspirational player award. Tight end Chris Baker, who regained his starting position after sustaining a season-ending leg injury last year, received the Ed Block Courage award. Safety Erik Coleman was recognized for his work in the community, and receiver Jerricho Cotchery was the recipient of the good guy award.

The Dolphins prepared for their game two weeks ago against New England by acquiring network tapes of Patriots games that included isolated cuts, complete with audio, of quarterback Tom Brady. Members of the Dolphins’ defense said it helped them immensely in picking up his cadence and the play being called. “If they were able to get some value from that, it’s really a good decision,” Jets Coach Eric Mangini said. He added: “We check out a couple of those tapes every now and then. It’s within the framework, it’s within the rules, it’s fair and it’s a good decision.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1166680667100530.xml&coll=1

Vote allows Giants, Jets to lease land

Thursday, December 21, 2006

BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

The planned stadium for the Jets and the Giants cleared one of its final hurdles yesterday when the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority approved the official lease of the land where the building will rise.

The 14-2 vote essentially clears the way for the teams to move ahead with their plans to break ground on the stadium by the end of June. All that remains is for the team to secure financing for the $1.2 billion stadium and for the plans to pass the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission's environmental review of the project.

"This is a historic vote to build a world-class facility," said Carl Goldberg, chairman of the sports authority, the state agency that controls the Meadowlands Sports Complex. "I plan to execute the agreement tomorrow."

In a joint statement, the Giants and Jets celebrated a vote the teams have been working toward for more than two years.

"The approval of this agreement represents the culmination of more than two years of hard work by us together with the NJSEA, Gov. Jon Corzine, Senate President Richard Codey and other State officials to make this project possible. We are very proud to be a part of this exciting revitalization of the Meadowlands Sports Complex that guarantees that the Meadowlands will remain home to NFL football for decades to come."

The stadium is scheduled to open before the 2010 season. The 14-2 vote did not come without dissent, including a heated 90-minute closed session during which the state agency's commissioners debated whether they had given too much away during more than a year of negotiations with the two football teams.

"In the long run, this is not the best deal we could have gotten," said Anthony Scardino, a former state senator and one of the dissenting commissioners.

Last year the Giants and Jets agreed to lease 75 acres at the sports complex for the next 25 years for $5 million a year, plus an annual property tax payment of $1.3 million each year. The teams will build the football stadium, a training facility for the Giants and a retail and restaurant complex on the property.

However, Scardino criticized the final lease approved yesterday for giving the Giants and Jets control of the parking revenues on the western half of the sports complex, including racetrack parking, even on days when games are not taking place.

In addition, Scardino said the rent on the land should not remain stable for the next 25 years, as it does in the agreement. Also, the sports authority is responsible for any property tax payments on the stadium that exceed $1.3 million. The agency and the town of East Rutherford, where the sports complex is located, have yet to work out a deal for the stadium's annual tax bill.

"All this time we have been giving and giving and I can't see what we got back," Scardino said.

Goldberg said the negotiations were hardly a one-way street and the sports authority will be reimbursed for parking fees that it currently gets.

"As with any sophisticated, complex real estate transaction, there is going to be a healthy discussion," he said. "I'm pleased with what we've accomplished and I'm comfortable with the discussion that took place this morning."

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1166680504100530.xml&coll=1

Coles hurting but still plans to play Monday night

BY DAVID GURNEY

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles is a little banged up.

After getting sandwiched by Minnesota Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson and Ben Luber on a Chad Pennington interception at the end of Sunday's game, Coles' back still hurts, his ribs still hurt.

But good news for Jets fans: He's out there running around and practicing, despite the hit.

And all signs point to him playing Monday night against the Dolphins.

"I'm going to practice," Coles said. "(Getting hit on Sunday) was like getting put at the back of a truck, getting run over and let's come back in a couple of days and see how you feel. That's what you get paid to do (to play). You have a job to do."

Coles, in high spirits, was voted team MVP by his teammates. Coles is seven catches short of breaking Al Toon's franchise record for receptions in a season (93).

Coles and rookie center Nick Mangold (hip) are battling injuries, but both looked fresh and lively at practice and seemed focused on the playoff push.

"It's exciting playing in December and it's been a blast for us," Mangold said. "It's going to be a heck of a challenge on Monday, they have a great defense overall."

On defense, Jets cornerback Justin Miller's adjustment to the NFL has been, let's say, a bit rocky.

Kick returning, on the other hand, has been a totally different story.

The explosive second-year player out of Clemson was the lone Jets player selected to play in the Pro Bowl -- as a kick returner.

"I was very excited, I didn't know what to believe," said Miller, who was out with his nephew when his mother called with the good news. "I was just shocked that I was actually voted into the Pro Bowl."

On the season, Miller has averaged 28.7 yards per kickoff return, tied for tops in the NFL. His two kickoff return touchdowns also lead the league.

The one selection was a bit disappointing for several Jets, including second-year safety Kerry Rhodes, who is fourth on the team with 85 tackles, tied for first with four interceptions, and first with three forced fumbles.

But Rhodes, if he was affected, didn't show it yesterday.

"There's some disappointment, but as a team we're doing good and winning, so it's evened out," Rhodes said. "Of course I would have liked to have gone, if my name was called. But there's no disappointment. The other players that are there are deserving."

Other team award winners include quarterback Chad Pennington (Dennis Byrd Most Inspirational Player Award), tight end Chris Baker (Ed Block Courage Award), safety Erik Coleman (Marty Lyons Award for Community Service) and wide receiver Jericho Cotchery (Kyle Clifton Good Guy Award).

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1166680563100530.xml&coll=1

Jets are flying under the radar and like the view

BY DAVID GURNEY

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- In the loud, deafening world of the NFL, the Jets have been a mere whisper.

Still living in the shadows of 2005's 4-12 campaign, they've lingered in relative anonymity while going 8-6.

While the rest of the league has already noticed, now too is the rest of the country.

In coach Eric Mangini's first season, the Jets have undergone a dramatic transformation, going from cellar-dweller into the thick of the AFC playoff hunt with two games remaining against Miami (6-8) Monday night and Oakland (2-12).

The secret's out, but don't ask Mangini to talk it up.

"Quiet is positive," Mangini said yesterday. "Quiet is good. Tell them (the media) to stay quiet."

It's getting harder to muffle the Jets' feel-good story, but the team is staying grounded, at least, if Mangini has anything to say about it.

Especially after following a 17-14 win over division-leader New England with a 31-13 loss at home against Buffalo two weeks ago.

"We all understand (the playoff implications). The last two weeks are a good example of having to focus on the task at hand," Mangini said. "We had the same conversation prior to Buffalo and the point of emphasis is: If we take care of what we can take care of, the rest will fall into place. We weren't successful against Buffalo."

Yet, the Jets bounced back with last week's 26-13 road win over Minnesota.

But the scenario for getting into the playoffs isn't a straightforward one.

The Jets stand just outside of the playoff bubble, tied at 8-6 for the fifth spot with Denver, Cincinnati and Jacksonville.

Then it gets a bit complicated.

Because of the four-way tie, it then goes to conference record, where the Broncos lead at 7-4, followed by Cincinnati at 6-4, with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Jets tied at 5-5. Even in that position, the Jets find themselves behind the Jaguars due to a 41-0 loss in the head-to-head meeting.

A lot can happen, and will happen, the day before the Jets even play Miami.

But the players insist they won't be eager spectators on Sunday.

"Won't watch nothing," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "I watch what comes on. If there's a good game on, I'll watch. I couldn't tell you what's going on or what we need to have happen. I am totally clueless when it comes to that. All we can do is come out and play the game on Monday."

Regardless of how the games play out on Sunday, the Jets still need to take care of business against the Dolphins, winners of five of their past seven. Included is the challenge of stopping the two-headed monster of defensive end Jason Taylor and middle linebacker Zach Thomas, Miami's two representatives in the Pro Bowl.

Taylor leads the team with 12 1/2 sacks, good for second in the NFL, 55 tackles, two interceptions and nine forced fumbles. Thomas leads the team with 144 tackles and has three sacks, one interception and two forced fumbles.

"Their (Taylor and Thomas) effort is 100 percent every play," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "You have to know where those two guys are on the field at all times."

Consistent pass protection enabled Pennington to have a 29-for-39, 339-yard passing performance against the Vikings last week. But after facing the eighth-ranked defense in the NFL, the Jets will face the third-ranked defense in Miami.

This only amplifies the roles of the offensive line, especially rookie left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who will line up against Taylor on most plays.

"Whenever you have to go against a great player like Jason Taylor, you have to make sure you play good ball because he is a talented athlete," Ferguson said. "Including Zach Thomas, we have to limit the things they do well and just execute."

Ferguson and the offensive line helped limit Taylor to four tackles and a sack in the Jets' 20-17 victory over the Dolphins in Week 6.

But come Monday, the line has to be up to the challenge once again.

"We expect, regardless of the record, that the game will be an interesting game," left guard Pete Kendall said. "This is a series that has been competitive and close. They're just an outstanding defense."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spjets21dec21,0,1368607.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Vilma's stats don't add up in the 3-4

By Charles Bricker

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

December 21, 2006

No forced fumbles and 58 solo tackles. This doesn't sound like the Jonathan Vilma who rocked a lot of fans, and running backs, at the University of Miami, or in his first two seasons with the New York Jets.

But he insisted Wednesday the downturn in his statistical portfolio has nothing to do with rookie coach Eric Mangini's switch to a three-four defense and that all is well with both himself and the astonishing Jets.

If Vilma is not the inside linebacker he was a year ago, when he had more than double the number of solo tackles at 124, 169 total when you fold in assists, then neither are the Jets the same pack of losers.

They've gone from 4-12, and dire predictions they would be fortunate to win as many as five this season, to an 8-6 club with a chance of reaching the playoffs.

Vilma and the Jets will be in South Florida to play the Dolphins on Monday night, then at home to the Oakland Raiders the following Sunday, and a 10-6 record sounds eminently achievable.

They don't have the tiebreakers to squeeze into the postseason if two of the other three 8-6 teams -- Jacksonville, Cincinnati and Denver -- also win their final two, but this will be a successful Jets year even if the players are on a golf course by early January.

Perhaps if this was as disastrous a season as many forecast, Vilma would be complaining about having his high-profile positioning in the defense reduced.

But, he says, "There is no ego situation. My responsibilities are not that much different. It's the techniques that have been the biggest adjustment.

"You just have to get used to it."

What has changed is that when the Jets go to a three-four defense, there no longer are a couple of weighty defensive tackles in front of him.

Now there is only 299-pound Kimo von Oelhoffen or 317-pound Dewayne Robertson, and the two guards are largely uncovered, giving them a straight blocking shot at inside 'backers Vilma and Eric Barton, or whoever joins Vilma inside.

It also means Vilma no longer has the freedom to roam, unfettered, from sideline to sideline. Now he has to ward off the blocks and share the tackling wealth.

A year ago, he had four forced fumbles.

"There are a lot of plays I would have made last year that I just don't now, not because I've gotten worse, but because basically every play now is not my play," Vilma said. "What we're doing is balancing the responsibility."

While the Jets look different defensively, the defense is not the fundamental reason the club is 8-6.

That record has more to do with quarterback Chad Pennington rallying back from shoulder surgery, as they've been much better offensively.

They've also made dramatic improvement in going from minus-18 on turnovers to zero.

This cannot have been an easy makeover for Mangini, replacing a much-admired coach in Herman Edwards and switching to a system in which only free agent von Oelhoffen, formerly of Pittsburgh, had familiarity.

"I honestly didn't think it would take a season to make the adjustment, though," said Vilma, "because we had a lot of guys willing to commit."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spglaub215023991dec21,0,6250155.column?coll=ny-giants-print

Jets' quiet better than Giants' riot

Bob Glauber

FOOTBALL

December 21, 2006

It's nice and quiet here on Page A81. Just the way the Jets like it.

While the Giants' season-long soap opera has consumed the back pages and the juicy headlines - including an apparent brawl on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange involving one of the late Wellington Mara's sons - the Jets have flown under the radar in a season that really should be more attention-grabbing, given the fact they're close to making the playoffs when no one gave them a chance of getting this far.

Guess that's what happens when you quietly exceed expectations and your star players don't bark about the coaching, castigate reporters for asking legitimate questions and boast about how good they are, even though the record is 7-7 and playoff hopes hang by a thread.

Ssshhhh. Impressive football season in progress in Hempstead.

"I think that quiet is positive," coach Eric Mangini said yesterday. "I think quiet is good. Let's hope it stays quiet."

Like a library, coach?

"I probably should have spent more time in the library in college," Mangini cracked, "but I liked it when I did go. It was very pleasant."

The Jets' locker room has library quiet, and pleasant, too. Which is about the best you can hope for in this town, where loud usually means controversy, none of it good. In the Giants' case, it is loud, it is controversial, and it has been downright ugly at times. They've won only one less game than the Jets, but it feels like a hundred. The Giants' burden of expectation, created largely by themselves during training camp, has hung heavy around their necks in a season that has nearly spun out of control after a 6-2 getaway. Five losses in their last six games, and the freefall is nearly complete. The only thing that saves them now is if they somehow pull off a playoff berth.

"I think we know a little something about that," guard Pete Kendall said in the Jets' locker room. "I reference the 2005 season."

The Jets were talking championship run during the 2005 season, even though Chad Pennington was still recovering from shoulder surgery. But after missing a trip to the AFC Championship Game by a foot-and-a-half wide right on Doug Brien's field-goal attempt in Pittsburgh, the Jets endured a miserable, injury-filled season that bottomed out at 4-12 and saw coach Herman Edwards move on to Kansas City.

"The preseason expectations were so high, and people want to talk about January and February, and it's only the end of July," Kendall said. "It's crazy. There's so much that can happen between July and January, it's a waste of time to even talk about it."

The Giants talked big in July, they talked about making a Super Bowl run with all that talent on both sides of the ball. But here they are, their playoff fate very much in doubt, and they've just about unraveled. Meanwhile, the Jets are coming off a huge win over the Vikings to move to 8-6, with a chance to win their final two games and make the playoffs. There is no guarantee they'll play into January even if they do beat the Dolphins on the road and then the Raiders at home. But at least they can concentrate on the task at hand, without having to put out brushfires both on and off the field a la the Giants.

"We've had our share of controversy over the years," Pennington said. "It's just one of those things as a professional where you try to deal with it, handle it as best you can and move on."

About the only controversy this year was some training-camp grumbling about Mangini's brutal practice regimen. Which was actually a good thing, since it indicated that he was intent on making his team tough and disciplined. So what that the players didn't like the work; it was necessary, and turned out to be an essential part of their surprisingly positive season.

There is somewhat of a Stepford Jets mentality, where the players walk and talk in lockstep. No colorful or combative quotes. No bulletin-board material. In a sense, not much of a personality. But if Sundays look as good as they've been so far this season, then so what. Maybe the Giants ought to take a look - if it's not too late.

"The Giants have a team full of superstars," Jets receiver Laveranues Coles said. "Here, everybody is real laid back and cool. Everybody loves each other. I don't know how the atmosphere is over there [with the Giants], but I do like my teammates. I love my teammates."

And if the egos ever did get out of control? Never happen, Coles said.

"I don't think Coach Mangini would allow us to ever put ourselves in a situation where anybody on this team becomes a distraction," Coles said. "He keeps everything in check and makes everything run smoothly."

Words Tom Coughlin only wishes he could live by.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets215023986dec21,0,248491.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Baffling snoopy Fish

Mangini can counter 'Fins' signal stealing by changing Chad's calls

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 21, 2006

Chad Pennington will need to choose his words carefully against the Dolphins. The Jets quarterback has been directing the offense for most of the year without the benefit of a huddle, and he may be swapping terms and changing signals on Monday night.

Two weeks ago, after the Dolphins shut out the Patriots, it was disclosed they used an audio recording of Tom Brady from a TV broadcast to prepare for his cadence variations and play adjustments at the line of scrimmage. While there are no rules against doing so, the incident provided a fascinating glimpse into the level of detail teams will go to when scouting an opponent. It also likely caused opponents of the Dolphins and teams around the league to examine how they communicate.

For Pennington, who does most of his play-calling within earshot of the line of scrimmage and has used variable cadences to keep defenders off-balance with remarkable skill this season, the trick will be getting through to teammates while baffling the Dolphins.

"Getting any advantage you can get within the framework of the rules is smart," said Jets coach Eric Mangini, who shrugged off the Dolphins' eavesdropping approach with a smile that seemed to imply the practice is more common than some may think. "We check a couple of those tapes every now and then. I think that's within the framework, within the rules. It's fair and a good decision."

To counter that, Mangini said the Jets change the words and signals they use from week to week. He said many teams use trigger words to signal that the ball will be snapped on the next sound, or to change from a run to a pass play or set up a specific route.

"Sometimes it's just dummy calls," Mangini said. "You have to sort through that because you will come up and say a lot of nothing. You'll get in the huddle and say, 'OK fellas, here's the play, disregard everything I say.'"

The Jets have forced 92 opponent penalties this season - only three teams have drawn more - and many are from opposing defenders being lured offsides by Pennington's hard counts and ever-changing rhythms. Even when not flagged, those variations on snap count can come in handy.

"If you can just create just a little bit of hesitation, it will give you a split second more to throw the football," Pennington said. "It just doesn't happen naturally. Your linemen and all of your guys in the huddle have to be very comfortable with that for you to do it, and they have done a great job of concentrating. It really calls for a lot of concentration, especially late in the game and when guys get tired and fatigued."

Or, when other teams might be listening.

Notes & quotes: TE Chris Baker, who played for Dolphins coach Nick Saban at Michigan State, said he doesn't think the coach will return to the college game even though Alabama is pursuing him aggressively. Baker visited with the Dolphins as a free agent last spring and said Saban has too good of a set-up in Miami. "His office overlooks the [complex]," Baker said. "It's like a 'Scarface' view of everything that's going on." . . . Mangini said none of the players were upset at the lack of recognition they received in Pro Bowl balloting, where no offensive or defensive players were selected. "The focus isn't on Hawaii, it's on Miami," Mangini said. He didn't specify whether he meant Miami this weekend or Miami in February, when it hosts the Super Bowl ... The Jets announced their 2006 team awards: Laveranues Coles was voted most valuable player, Chad Pennington was winner of the Dennis Byrd Award for most inspirational player, Baker won the Ed Block Courage Award, Erik Coleman won the Marty Lyons Award for community service and Jerricho Cotchery won the Kyle Clifton Good Guy Award . . . Unlike the Vikings last week, the Dolphins' defense is very balanced, ranked third in pass defense and eighth in rushing defense . . . The Jets signed defensive lineman Vaka Manupuna to the practice squad . . . Coles (back) was listed as questionable on the Jets' injury report. C Nick Mangold (hip) is probable.

ABOUT THE DOLPHINS

Coach:

Nick Saban, second season (15-15)

Last week:

Lost to the Bills, 21-0

About the offense: Quarterback Joey Harrington caught fire in November, throwing seven touchdowns and leading the Dolphins to four straight wins. Since then, however, he's reverted to his Lion ways with just two touchdowns and four interceptions in three games, including two picks and a passer rating of zero against the Bills last week that had him benched in the fourth quarter. Miami is 13th in passing yards per game (211.0) but 25th in rushing (99.9) and have scored over 21 points only four times this season. Wes Welker is Harrington's top target with 63 catches and Marty Booker has six of the Dolphins' 14 touchdown receptions.

About the defense: You know them, you love to hate them, and you've spent nearly the last decade worrying about them. DE Jason Taylor and MLB Zach Thomas are the guts of a Dolphins defense that kept the team in playoff contention until last week and shut out the Patriots two weeks ago. Both recently were selected to the Pro Bowl, Thomas is the unofficial NFL leader in tackles with 154 and Taylor is making a push for Defensive Player of the Year with 11.5 sacks, 10 pass defenses (from a defensive end, mind you) and two INTs, both returned for TDs. The Dolphins have the third-best defense in the NFL (278.7 ypg).

The bottom line: The Dolphins are out of it, but this is a rivalry game and winning it while hampering the Jets' postseason chances would be their Super Bowl, so don't expect them to play dead. Then again, Saban may already be game-planning for next year's Auburn game (Alabama is reportedly trying hard to lure him back to the college game). Harrington had a touchdown and two interceptions against the Jets on Oct. 15, but he wasn't sacked, something the Jets have become adept at recently. The Jets could have their playoff picture drawn in ink by the time they take the field, and this likely becomes the second in a string of three straight must-wins to reach the playoffs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6293318

STATS Inc. pregame notes:

New York has won 13 of the last 17 meetings between the teams and is looking to sweep its season series with Miami for the sixth time in nine years.

The Jets are 5-2 on the road in 2006 after losing all eight of their contests away from home last season. The 1999 Colts (6-2) and 2000 Saints (7-1) are the only teams since the merger to win at least six road games in the season after losing each of their contests away from home. More STATS Inc. pregame notes ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/481953p-405658c.html

Fishin' for revenge

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Kerry Rhodes knows a telegraphed pass when he sees one. So when a reporter prefaced a question yesterday by referring to postgame comments made by the Dolphins after their October loss to the Jets, Rhodes read it perfectly and jumped in before the query was complete.

"They said they were better than us," the Jets' safety said. "Yeah, I remember that."

Evidently, the Dolphins' remarks made an impression. The words, no doubt, will creep into the Jets' psyche, if not on their bulletin board, as they prepare to face their AFC East rivals Monday night in a virtual must-win game at Dolphin Stadium.

A refresher: After a 20-17 Jets win, a game dominated by the Jets for 3-1/2 quarters, the Dolphins refused to give any props to the home team.

Miami defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday said they "played a Jets team that was not a very good football team, a team we were better than and should beat." Defensive end Jason Taylor piled on, claiming, "The Jets aren't a better football team than us." There was more, but you get the point.

The Dolphins sounded like they were in denial, stunned they had lost to a team that began the day having lost 15 of its previous 21 games.

"I heard about (the comments) after the game," Rhodes said. "It's no big deal. People can make any statement they want. We won the game. We won, so it's no big deal."

The Jets downplayed the remarks, calling them emotional rants made in the heat of the moment, but they did offer this message to the Dolphins: If you thought we weren't any good in October, wait until you see us now.

"We're definitely a better team," cornerback Andre Dyson said. "We're growing every week."

Said Rhodes: "We're peaking at the right time."

The Jets (8-6) went into the first meeting at 2-3, coming off an embarrassing 41-0 loss to the Jaguars. Since then, they've improved in almost every area.

Defense? In the first six games, the Jets allowed 25 points per game. In the last six, the average has dropped to 15points.

Running game? In the first six games, they averaged 98yards on the ground. In the last six, it's up to 121yards.

Personnel changes? Back then, Kevan Barlow was running behind a young, rebuilt offensive line that was finding its way. Now Cedric Houston is gaining yards behind a cohesive group that has started 11 straight games as a unit.

Defensively, the Jets have discovered the art of the quarterback sack, with Bryan Thomas (7-1/2) leading the way. In the secondary, well-traveled vet Hank Poteat has stabilized the merry-go-round at right cornerback. He's an anomaly, though. In most positions that have changed, the Jets have gotten younger, not older.

"What people don't realize is that our young guys have matured," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, alluding to the nine rookies who dressed for last week's win in Minnesota. "That's why our team is a lot better. We've developed a maturity, a confidence."

The Dolphins, too, have improved since the first meeting, when their season was spinning out of control. That loss to the Jets dropped them to 1-5, producing outrage in their locker room. When Holliday was asked how it felt to lose to "a team like the Jets," he replied, "I don't think we can say that anymore - 'a team like the Jets' - because we're a team like the Jets."

That, of course, was another low blow.

Since then, the Dolphins have gone 5-3 and, although they're officially out of playoff contention, they'd like nothing more than to ruin the Jets' postseason bid. The Jets would like nothing more than to leave the Dolphins muttering to themselves, just like last time.

"He can say anything he wants to say about us," tight end Chris Baker said of Holliday's remarks. "The score speaks for itself."

Originally published on December 21, 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/481954p-405662c.html

Jets all ears to Fish plan

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Big brother could be watching the Jets. Or, shall we say, listening.

The Dolphins created a furor two weeks ago when unidentified players told a Florida newspaper that listening to tapes of TV audio of Tom Brady's cadence helped them decipher the Patriots' audibles. The Dolphins won, 21-0, and Brady suffered one of the worst games of his career.

Brady called the Dolphins' claim "a big crock of you know what." The Jets, not wanting to take any chances, may have to change their cadence and audibles for Monday night's game in Miami.

Eric Mangini applauded the Dolphins' tactic, calling it clever and within the rules. Indeed, the NFL said the Dolphins didn't break any rules. "If they were able to get some value from that, it's a really good decision," Mangini said yesterday. "It's on TV and everybody has a DVD, so if you can get something off that, I think it's great."

Asked if the Jets do the same thing, Mangini smiled.

"We check out a couple of those tapes every now and then," he said.

Chad Pennington has learned to use his cadence as a weapon. Unlike past years, the Jets spend an inordinate amount of practice time on their cadence.

Because the Jets employ a no-huddle, Pennington always is calling out signals. He also uses different types of snap counts to keep the defense off balance and hard counts to draw offsides penalties. And he's been very successful.

"It's much tougher to use cadence on the road than at home, obviously, because of the crowd noise," Pennington said. "When you have to use your shotgun, you can't use your voice as much. But cadence can be a factor. (Jason) Taylor and all those guys, they're veteran guys and they've seen a lot and you don't get a lot past them. But if you can create just a little bit of hesitation, it'll give you a split-second more to throw the football. If you don't create any hesitation at all, you don't have much of a chance. They're playing really well."

Mangini also noted the use of dummy audibles is quite popular. Gee, do you think he mentioned that for the Dolphins' consumption?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/481952p-405657c.html

Mangini penalizes CB Miller

Justin Miller made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. As a cornerback, he still needs a lot of polish, especially when it comes to keeping his cool.

Miller, who got a personal-foul penalty for taking a swing at Vikings WR Troy Williamson last Sunday, received a fairly harsh rebuke yesterday from Eric Mangini. The Jets' coach never criticizes his players in public - unless they commit a dumb penalty.

"You can't respond to something that makes you feel good for two seconds, but hurts the group," said Mangini, who fumed on the sideline and yanked Miller from the game. "It's not something that we do. We're not going to operate that way....It was annoying."

Mangini said he and Miller "talked quite a bit" about the penalty.

notebook.gif

HOUSTON HAS PROBLEM: Cedric Houston, who has emerged as the Jets' feature back in recent weeks, is listed as questionable with a calf injury. Houston, who got hurt against the Vikings, didn't participate fully in team drills, according to the club. Kevan Barlow, inactive the last three games, took extra reps in practice.

The Jets list WR Laveranues Coles (back/ribs) as questionable; he practiced on a limited basis. Coles will play Monday night against the Dolphins. So will rookie C Nick Mangold (hip), who practiced fully and is probable.

Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown (broken hand), sidelined the last three games, is expected to play. Brown, who rushed for 127 yards and a touchdown in the first meeting, probably will share time with Sammy Morris.

COLES IN STOCKING: Coles, second in the NFL with 87 receptions, was voted by his teammates as the Jets' MVP. Coles believes he got the award for his off-the-field relationships with teammates.

"Being able to talk to the guys away from football and being a friend, that probably got me that," said Coles, who voted for fellow receiver Jerricho Cotchery. "It had pretty much nothing to do with the field, just me being a team guy."

Chad Pennington, who made an improbable recovery from his second shoulder surgery, was voted the Dennis Byrd Award for most inspirational player.

TE Chris Baker, who returned after missing much of last season with a broken leg, received the Ed Block Courage award. Safety Erik Coleman captured the Marty Lyons Award for community service. Cotchery won the Kyle Clifton Good Guy Award.

DROPPING BACK: It appears rookie Kellen Clemens will be the third quarterback once again. ...Mangini was asked if the team can derive motivation from the fact that only one player was selected to the Pro Bowl. "Really, the focus isn't Hawaii for us," he said. "It's Miami." ...Coles said he didn't expect to make the Pro Bowl. Half-jokingly, he added, "It's a good thing I didn't have any incentives in my contract." ...Jets are practicing four days this week. The Dolphins were off yesterday.

Rich Cimini

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12212006/sports/jets/mangini_salutes_saban_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

MANGINI SALUTES SABAN

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 21, 2006 -- Eric Mangini yesterday applauded Miami coach Nick Saban's controversial use of supplemental TV and audio footage to help his team pick up small things like quarterback cadence.

The issue became a story recently when Dolphins players spoke after their Dec. 9 win over the Patriots, about being tipped off to Tom Brady's cadence, thanks to viewing these films, which are available to teams from the TV networks.

"If they were able to get some value from that, it's really a good decision," Mangini said. "It's on TV and everybody has a DVD, so if you can get something off that, I think it's great.

"Nick is incredibly smart and incredibly detailed. He's won everywhere he's been. Getting any advantage you can get within the framework of the rules is smart."

Asked if the Jets do the same thing, Mangini said, "We check out a couple of those tapes every now and then. It's within the framework, it's within the rules, it's fair and it's a good decision."

The Jets yesterday named WR Laveranues Coles as their MVP as voted by the players. In other awards, Chad Pennington was named the recipient of the Dennis Byrd Award as the most inspirational player, TE Chris Baker was given the Ed Block Courage Award, S Erik Coleman was given the Marty Lyons Award for community service and WR Jerricho Cotchery was given the Kyle Clifton Good Guy Award. Coles, who on Tuesday was snubbed in the Pro Bowl voting, called the MVP recognition "a great honor," adding, "I know I wouldn't have that honor without guys like Chad Pennington and the linemen giving me opportunities to make plays and help this ball club."

Pennington, of course, has come back to start all 14 games after two shoulder operations. "I'm honored to be the inspiration," he said.

When Mangini was asked about the Jets players who deserved to be voted into the Pro Bowl but weren't, such as Coles and S Kerry Rhodes, he said, "Really the focus isn't Hawaii for us, it's Miami."

When Mangini was asked if he liked his team having a "quiet" season, he said, "I think quiet is good. We should just all stay quiet."

Mangini, who's become close with boxing trainer Teddy Atlas, quoted Atlas yesterday as saying, "Success is like a martini; it relaxes you," when speaking about trying to keep his team on edge in these big December games.

Coles, who took a hard hit to the back Sunday, is listed as questionable for Monday's game with a sore back. C Nick Mangold, who hurt his left hip, is listed as probable. RB Cedric Houston is listed as questionable.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12212006/sports/jets/the_hank_engine_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

THE HANK ENGINE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 21, 2006 -- When Hank Poteat first arrived the day before the Jets' Sept. 1 preseason finale against the Eagles, the journeyman cornerback figured he had found a home for the 2006 season.

After all, he had a previous relationship with Eric Mangini, having played for him last season in New England.

And, what team would sign a player with a week to go before the regular season if it didn't have plans for him to contribute?

Poteat played in that preseason finale and was promptly released the next day.

"He had a cup of coffee here," Mangini joked yesterday.

It was, however, more like a shot of Jack Daniels for last call and a boot out the bar door.

In another year, Poteat might have taken the abrupt release personally and been ticked off.

"Stay ready and stay in shape," Mangini told Poteat upon his release.

Poteat, in his seventh NFL season, did just that and he was re-signed before the sixth game of the season.

By the Jets' 11th game, Poteat was starting at corner, where he's remained the starter for the last month entering Monday night's crucial game against the Dolphins in Miami.

Not bad for a player who came to the Jets having played in 54 NFL games and started only twice.

"Hank is one of these guys [who] works as hard as he possibly can, does exactly what you ask him to, competes like crazy, is tough and cares," Mangini said. "I've always liked those qualities in Hank and I've always respected his approach.

"He has done some traveling, but no matter where he shows up, when he gets there he's ready to work."

The challenge for Poteat and the entire Jets' secondary Monday will be dealing with the Dolphins' four players with 50 or more receptions - Wes Welker (63 catches and 1 TD), Chris Chambers (55 and 4 TDs), Randy McMichael (53 and 1 TD) and Marty Booker (51 and 6 TDs), though Booker is listed as doubtful with an ankle injury.

Poteat is coming off his best performance since signing with the Jets, a six-tackle performance against the Vikings, against whom he had a big pass breakup on WR Billy McMullen on similar play he'd botched in practice only days earlier.

For that kind of turnaround, Mangini raved about how well Poteat takes to coaching.

Asked if he's always been as coachable as Mangini called him, Poteat was quick to say, "No."

"When I first came into the NFL, being young and inexperienced, I didn't do all the things that I needed to, to be a professional," he said.

Poteat recalled being jolted when he suffered his first cut after playing his first three seasons with the Steelers.

"When I first got cut, it turned my life around completely," he said. "You never think you're going to get cut. You never believe that's going to be you until it hits you smack in the face. Then, you're sitting out watching."

Poteat said that first cut turned his life around spiritually.

"I knew God gave me an opportunity to play in this league, and I wasn't taking advantage of it," he said. "To have an opportunity like this, you definitely have to take advantage of it because he can take it away from you just like that."

Poteat counted up at least seven times he's been cut since entering the league, three times this year alone. But he insisted he wouldn't change a thing.

"I can't be mad at any of those situations because all things work together and it's helped me to be the person that I am now, and helped me be the player that I am now," he said. "All those things helped me to grow and mature as a person, and it's helped me out on the field because now I'm more of a student."

And, for the first time in his career, a consistent starter.

"This is a reward for all my hard work and dedication and persevering and never giving up on myself or in my faith," Poteat said.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061221/SPORTS01/612210391/1108/SPORTS01

Jets already know the score

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: December 21, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - Even if Leon Washington didn't want to hear the scores from around the NFL Sunday, he's not sure he could escape finding out.

Then again, he knows he'll be curious.

"I could sit here and say we're not going to be knowing but we'll probably find out some way,'' the rookie running back said yesterday.

"Some family member will call you or somebody will try to remind you outside of the team.''

How the Jets (8-6) fare with that knowledge Monday night at Miami (6-8) will be crucial. They've lost two games already this season when a win against a team with a losing record would have significantly strengthened their playoff possibilities.

"Prosperity, in some people, it can make them relax and not work as hard as they usually do,'' safety Kerry Rhodes said. "I think we respond well to adversity.''

The Jets' postseason formula is fairly simple: they must win their last two, then have two of the other three 8-6 teams - the Bengals, Jaguars and Broncos - lose at least once.

One is a given since the Broncos play the Bengals Sunday at 4:15 p.m. So the Patriots' game at Jacksonville Sunday is a double-edged sword for the Jets: New England clinches the AFC East with a win but at the same time opens the wild-card door for the Jets.

The Jets moved two games above .500 for the second time this season with a 26-13 win at Minnesota Sunday, a stark contrast to the previous week's 31-13 loss to the Bills.

"Last week was just indicative of how the season has gone for us as a team,'' Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "When we've had a setback, we've been able to respond relatively well in the next game and not put two bad performances together.''

But the Bills game was, perhaps, the best example of the Jets' responding poorly to prosperity. A two-game winning streak, against the overmatched Texans and Packers, left the Jets at 7-5 and favored against the Bills.

It wasn't so much losing to the Bills that was disturbing. It was the way the Jets were dominated.

Likewise, earlier this season, wins over the Dolphins - dropping them to 1-5 - and the Lions - then 1-6 - improved the Jets to 4-3 as they headed to Cleveland to face the 1-5 Browns.

Final: Browns 20, Jets 13.

"Some of it is internal, you start to feel a little satisfied, you feel like you start to figure things out,'' left guard Pete Kendall said. "Your preparation suffers or your focus suffers. The margin between winning a game and losing a game is so fine, sometimes that's all you need.

"Externally, when you start to win, when you start to experience some prosperity, the other teams are that much more eager to knock you off the pedestal that maybe the media is trying to put you up on, or you're trying to put yourselves up on.''

The Jets won't necessarily be in a position to sit in front of a TV set Sunday. They'll practice early Saturday morning before getting about 24 hours off as a holiday break. Then, they'll fly to Miami. So unless JetBlue is chartering the flight, they won't be able to watch the games.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said once the team lands in Florida, he's certainly not going to put them in a room and make them watch, though he admitted he doesn't block out channels in the players' rooms.

Then again, Mangini said he's not concerned about what the other teams are doing anyway.

"I'm really not on top of the different combinations,'' Mangini said. "There are a bunch of them. I couldn't tell you what they were.''

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDE3OTEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Christmas surprise waiting?

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Jets are well aware they may not only be seen but heard this week as Miami digitally prepares for the Christmas night rematch with its old division rival.

Some Dolphins were squeaking away two weeks ago about how they "bought" network audio tapes of Tom Brady barking his presnap orders, then deciphered enough of the verbiage to beat Brady to the punch and thrash the Patriots, 21-0.

Subsequently, coach Nick Saban said nothing was bought, the NFL ruled the 'Fins did nothing illegal, and Brady called any alleged advantage "a big crock of you know what."

It's all relevant to the Jets and Chad Pennington, who rely so much on Pennington's "sugar huddle" audibles, then on his hard counts to draw opponents on the line offside a tick before center Nick Mangold snaps the ball.

"Nick [saban] is incredibly smart and detailed," said Eric Mangini, who knows Saban from their short stay on Bill Belichick's 1995 Cleveland staff. "Getting any advantage you can within the framework of the rules is smart."

And tight end Chris Baker thinks it's consistent with Saban's modus operandi when he coached Baker at Michigan State.

"He's very competitive and that's why he's been successful," Baker said. "He probably gave some other guys around the league that idea, if they haven't done it already."

Mangini even said the Jets have done audio sampling themselves. But their efforts this week might not pay off as well against Joey Harrington -- who had the rare, dreaded 0.0 passer rating in Miami's 21-0 shutout loss at Buffalo on Sunday -- as the Dolphins' study of Pennington might.

At least the Jets are now alerted to fine-tune their cadence for Monday night's game. Mangini explained what can be gleaned from TV game audio.

"Sometimes it could be the snap count," he said. "There's some trigger word that says, 'OK, I'm done talking, we're going to snap the ball,' it could be something like that. It could be an audible that triggers a certain route or running play. Sometimes it's just dummy calls and you have to sort through that."

Besides trying to puzzle out audibles, the Dolphins suggested they listened to audio to help them with hard counts. If they can possibly draw a bead on Pennington's rhythm, they'll be onto something. He drew Minnesota tackle Kevin Williams offside twice, raising to 21 the number of presnap penalties this season he's forced by his cadence.

Pennington, who was named the Dennis Byrd Award winner as the most inspirational Jet by his teammates and will be named Sports Illustrated's NFL comeback player of the year, said even at Dolphin Stadium, his cadence can help provide a winning edge against Jason Taylor and Miami's dynamic defense.

"Taylor and all those guys are veteran guys. You don't get a lot past them," he said. "If you can just create a little bit of hesitation, it will give you a split-second more to throw the football. If you don't create any hesitation at all, you don't have much of a chance."

Mangold, who has to be completely in sync with Pennington to not flinch along with the defense on a particularly convincing hard count, said his quarterback has more than just some audio tricks to combat the Miami menace.

"I think it's Chad being the great player he is, being able to use different tools in his tool belt," he said.

And the rookie center took a veteran's view similar to Brady's as to how much the Dolphins will be able to exploit Pennington's calls.

"That's not something," he said, "that we have a lot of time to worry about."

http://www.nysportsday.com/news/jets/1166691481.php

Coles and Chad Go Against The Fish

by: Brian Bohl | Senior Writer - NY Sports Day | Thursday, December 21, 2006

Eric Mangini became the NFL’s youngest head coach this winter mostly because of the work he did as an assist in New England, including a stint as the team’s defensive coordinator last season. Before that, the 35-year-old was the defensive backs coach, focusing his attention on stopping opposing offenses.

While Mangini came to the Jets with a background on preventing scoring, it was his offense that nearly swept the team awards handed out yesterday. Receiver Laveranues Coles took home the most valuable player award, which is determined by the players’ votes. Coles earned the honor after he set career-highs with 87 catches for 1,065 yards and six touchdowns through 14 games this season.

“It’s such an honor, because I don’t just look at it as being the most valuable player, it’s more for the things I do for the team off the field,” Coles said. “Being able to talk to the guys away from football and being a friend that probably got me that. It had pretty much nothing to do with the field, just me being a team guy.”

The man on the front end of those receptions, quarterback Chad Pennington, also did not go away empty handed. Coming off his second surgery on his throwing shoulder, Pennington already has played in a career-high 14 games, helping him win the Dennis Byrd award as the most inspirational player.

He set a new personal best with 339 passing yards last week in a victory over the Vikings and led the Jets to an 8-6 record with a chance to make the post-season should they win their remaining two contests against the Dolphins and Raiders.

“I think it was a team effort,” Pennington said. “My teammates have been great in supporting me through the bad time and the injuries, and then even through quarterback competition and all the way through the year with the ups and downs, they have been right there behind me all the way. Our organization has done an excellent job in providing the plan and all kinds of different resources for me to use to get healthy and to get better, and so it's been a team effort.”

Pennington recorded 2,958 yards with 15 touchdowns and an 81.3 passing rating after playing in only 3 games in 2005 before suffering another shoulder injury. He will need to add to those numbers and avoid the occasional struggles that contributed to his 16 interceptions. By comparison, Pennington tossed 22 touchdowns to just six interceptions in 2002.

He managed the game efficiently during the first meeting against the Dolphins, finishing 17-29 for 175 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions in a win at Giants Stadium. To complete the sweep in Miami with a victory on Monday Night Football on Christmas day, he will need to get past Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor.

Thomas’ 141 tackles is the best in the league. The 11th-year middle linebacker already ensured his sixth straight season with at least 140 tackles, adding three sacks in the process.

Complementing him with his work on the line is Taylor and his 12.5 sacks. That total trails only Buffalo’s Aaron Schobel by one full sack for the NFL lead, making the Dolphins a tough team to compete against despite their 6-8 record and no chance to make the playoffs.

“I don't think they have really ever had a down year as far as their performance,” Pennington said. “As far as their performance week﷓in and week﷓out, they are the epitome of consistency, and their effort is 100% every play. You have to know where those two guys are on the field at all times. If you do not get Jason and Zach blocked, you don't have a very good chance of being successful.”

To be successful and negate the Dolphins strong front seven, Coles will need to put up another MVP performance. He recorded five receptions for 106 yards and caught both of Pennington’s touchdowns during a 20-17 win at the Meadowlands Oct. 15.

”He’s won us a lot of games this year and he’s done a lot of great things,” tight end Chris Baker said. “He was my pick in that one too, he has made a lot of plays for us this year and I thought he was the MVP for our team this year.

In his seventh year in the NFL, Coles produced a strong case for a Pro Bowl selection, with his 87 catches second in the league. He is coming off a 12-catch performance in which he torched the Vikings defense for 144 yards and a touchdown at the Metrodome last week, his third double digit reception game of the season.

He did not make the AFC roster over the Colts’ Reggie Wayne and the Bengals’ Chad Johnson, but still will provide major headaches for the Miami defensive backfield of former Giant Will Allen and rookie Jason Allen, who have only two interceptions combined this season.

“I think everybody in the league has had problems with that defense,” Coles said. “They have a tough team to play against period, across the board. With the leaders they have on defense in Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas, those guys make plays all the time. “When you have a defense that’s as stingy as the Dolphins’ defense, you know you’re in for a nice long week of work. They’re a tough team and you have to go out there and be your best. You can’t save anything, you have go out there and leave it on the field.”

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=20061220223007490000101-a&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.american-football.nfl.news&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Well-traveled Poteat finding a home with Jets

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -Hank Poteat has gotten used to keeping his luggage within easy reach.

The veteran cornerback has been waived seven times in his seven professional seasons, including three times this year, and hasn't stayed with one team for an entire season since 2002. Poteat is an NFL nomad - with a Super Bowl ring and big-game credentials.

"It all depends on the person," Poteat said. "You're either going to grow from it or you're going to continue to take it as a negative and just go under from there."

The well-traveled Poteat has suddenly found a home with the New York Jets. He already has a career-high 31 total tackles and had perhaps his best overall game at Minnesota on Sunday, when he had six tackles and defended a pass in the Jets' 26-13 win.

"I can't be mad at any of those situations because all things work together and it's helped me to be the person that I am now, and helped me be the player that I am now," the 29-year-old Poteat said. "Maybe if I never got cut, I might not be this guy now."

Poteat has started the last four games at right cornerback for the Jets, after starting just twice in his first six-plus seasons.

"Each and every time I work out, when I'm training, I'm never training to be just in the NFL or training to just be part of the team," he said. "I always train to be the best and training to be a starter. This is a reward for all my hard work and dedication and persevering and never giving up on myself."

That could've been easy to do, especially early in his career. Poteat was selected by the Steelers out of the University of Pittsburgh in the third round of the 2000 draft and played 15 games as a rookie. He was a solid player mainly on special teams for three years and helped the Steelers to the playoffs in 2002, but they waived him late in training camp before the next season.

"It turned my life around completely," Poteat said. "You never think you're going to get cut. You always hear those things, especially when you're drafted and you go to the rookie symposium, they give you statistics on who's going to be here a certain amount of years. You never believe that's going to be you until it hits you smack in the face. Then, you're sitting out watching."

And waiting.

Poteat was out of work for nearly two months until Tampa Bay called. He played in one game for the Buccaneers, who waived him with a few weeks left in the season. Carolina then signed him, but cut him shortly before the 2004 season.

Then came more waiting. An entire regular season went by - and nothing.

"I just continued to work hard and believed I could play and I knew I had to do something better," Poteat said.

Then, like something out of a feel-good Disney movie, Poteat got a call from New England during the playoffs. The Patriots were short-handed in their secondary and Poteat played in all three postseason games - including the Super Bowl victory over Carolina.

"When I first came into the NFL, being young and inexperienced, I didn't do all the things that I needed to to be a professional," Poteat said. "I believe when I got cut the first time - and I've been cut a lot - when you're out, you learn to understand the things you should've done to stay in this league."

But that didn't prevent him from being cut again - four more times. The Patriots waived him at the end of training camp last year, re-signed him in Week 6, and cut him again this summer.

Jets coach Eric Mangini, who worked with Poteat in New England last year, got New York to sign him on Sept. 1. Poteat played against Philadelphia in a preseason game that night, but was waived the next day.

He ended up back with the Patriots after Week 3 and played in two games before returning to the unemployment line for a day. Then, the Jets re-signed him.

"To be honest with you, I did think that I was going to be here," Poteat said. "I felt good about my performance that night I was here. I knew that wasn't in my control. I felt good leaving that I actually went out there and worked hard and did what I was able to do."

Mangini was impressed with how Poteat handled himself on and off the field, and how he has brought some stability to a position that was in flux earlier this season.

"I've always respected his approach," Mangini said. "He has done some traveling, but no matter where he shows up, when he gets there, he's ready to work."

Tutt: I Want to Make the Best of It

Published: 12-20-06

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/tutt-i-want-to-make-the-best-of-it

Last Saturday marked the third week consecutive week an undrafted rookie free agent moved up from the New York Jets' practice squad to the active roster. Stacy Tutt, a former Richmond quarterback, signed on December 16 and played at fullback during the team's 26-13 win at Minnesota. Tutt was the lead blocker on Cedric Houston's six-yard touchdown run in the first quarter.

“An opportunity to be able to play in this league is a privilege and I want to try to make the best of it,” Tutt said. “I got a lot of calls from my family members. I have a lot of people around me who are very supportive and very proud of me.”

Read below for the complete transcript from inside the Jets' locker room

New York Jets’ RB Stacy Tutt, 12.20

On playing quarterback in another league…

If I wanted to go to the CFL, I’d probably be playing quarterback. I wanted to be here; I knew I would have to change positions, but I didn’t care. I’ve played different positions before. An opportunity to be able to play in this league is a privilege and I want to try to make the best of it.

On how his life has changed in the last week…

I got a lot of calls from my family members. I have a lot of people around me who are very supportive and very proud of me. Just in that aspect, but other than that, nothing has changed.

On knowing what his role would be…

When you do the game plan, there are certain things that you didn’t plan for and different things happen during the game where you have to make changes and sometimes stray away from the game plan. I knew there were some things that I was going to be asked to do and I got asked to do them a couple times in the game. I just went out and tried to do my best.

New York Jets’ TE Chris Baker, 12.20

On being surprised about receiving the Ed Block Courage award…

I didn’t know much about it, I’ve been learning a little bit more about it though and it’s pretty cool.

On Laveranues Coles getting team MVP…

He’s won us a lot of games this year and he’s done a lot of great things. He was my pick in that one too, he has made a lot of plays for us this year and I thought he was the MVP for our team this year.

On Nick Saban using video of Tom Brady’s audibles…

He’s very competitive, and that’s why he has been successful. It’s not against the rules, so I don’t blame him for doing that. He probably gave some other guys around the league that idea, if they haven’t done it already.

New York Jets’ G Pete Kendall, 12.20

On traveling over Christmas…

It’s just a business trip. I would imaging that everybody has been aware of the situation for quite some time and has made their arrangements, or at least made their peace with it mentally. When we wake up Monday morning, at least for most of us and particularly me, in sunny south Florida, the last thing on my mind will be Christmas. Waking up in a hotel with the temperature in the 70’s does not exactly ring Christmas bells in my mind. I’m hoping and expecting that that will be the mind set for the rest of the team.

On the Jets/Dolphins rivalry…

To be honest with you, I don’t really sense it. There have been some games that have been competitive games. This is now my sixth time participating in a Jets/Dolphins game and I think there is a lot of respect between the two teams. I know speaking for myself, it’s not too hard to turn on the film and feel respect watching those guys play defense. I’ve been playing against a lot of these guys for a long time.

New York Jets’ CB Hank Poteat, 12.20

On coach Mangini being able to get the most out of him…

He puts you in a lot of good situations with an excellent game plan and motivation during the week with different things that he shows us, like the fights. I definitely believe that was a great motivation for each and every player.

On the defensive technique he learned in practice…

That was just me being a little out of phase; the ball was in the air and I wasn’t in a position where I could look back, but I was in good enough position that I could have made the play. I extended the wrong hand, then the same play happen in the game, but it was on the opposite side of the field. I was able to do what the coaches told me I should have done in practice and I made the play.

New York Jets’ C Nick Mangold, 12.20

On playing Monday Night Football on Christmas…

I’m really excited. That’s something that every kid grows up watching and dreaming of play on. I just hope with the game and everything, Santa doesn’t miss out on the presents.

On playing meaningful games in December…

It’s really exciting. Going through college, I really didn’t play in December that much, we were usually just practicing. It’s been a blast so far, with how spirited everything is; since December 1st, everything seemed to jump up about 10 notches and this week included. It keeps building and building.

On rating his play this season…

You’ll have to ask me that after the season, I haven’t had time to think about it.

New York Jets’ WR Laveranues Coles, 12.20

On the Monday night comeback the Jets had against Miami…

That was one of my most memorable games. I think that’s what New York and Miami is about. We’re very competitive teams and when we play each other it’s exciting.

On watching the other games on Sunday…

I don’t get wrapped up in that stuff. The only thing I have to do is focus on what we have to do, and that’s play one game at a time.

On playing a meaningful game in December on Monday night…

For us, it’s just a longer week. We can get more practices in, so we don’t look at it as something special about Monday night. It’s just another game for us, we just have to take our time, prepare, try to get our work in and go back at it.

On Miami’s defense…

I think everybody in the league has had problems with that defense. They have a tough team to play against period, across the board. With the leaders they have on defense in Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas, those guys make plays all the time. When you have a defense that’s as stingy as the Dolphins’ defense, you know you’re in for a nice long week of work. They’re a tough team and you have to go out there and be your best. You can’t save anything, you have go out there and leave it on the field.

On what it means to be named MVP…

It’s a great honor, but I know I wouldn’t have that honor without guys like Chad Pennington and the linemen giving me opportunities to make plays and help this ball club. It’s such an honor, because I don’t just look at it as being the most valuable player, it’s more for the things I do for the team off the field. Being able to talk to the guys away from football and being a friend, that probably got me that. It had pretty much nothing to do with the field, just me being a team guy.

Pennington: Comeback was a true team effort

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/pennington-comeback-was-a-true-team-effort

Quarterback Chad Pennington, who will start his 15th consecutive game Christmas night in Miami, was named the team’s Dennis Byrd Award winner on Wednesday. Pennington was an easy choice after rebounding from a second shoulder surgery in 2005. He entered this season having thrown for more than 300 yards on two occasions, but he has already topped the 300-yard mark in three games and will undoubtedly reach the 3,000-yard total Monday night in Miami.

"I think it was a team effort," Pennington said. "My teammates have been great in supporting me through the bad time and the injuries, and then even through quarterback competition and all the way through the year with the up‑and‑downs. They have been right there behind me all the way. Our organization has done an excellent job in providing the plan and all kinds of different resources for me to use to get healthy and to get better, and so it's been a team effort."

On being named inspirational player of the year…

Well, I'm excited about it. I'm honored to be the inspiration. I just try to keep everything simple and be as consistent as I can and be there for my teammates when I can. Whether it's playing on the field or off the field, trying to be the same guy every day, I think that's what's most important.

On the award epitomizing his comeback…

Well, I think it was a team effort. My teammates have been great in supporting me through the bad time and the injuries, and then even through quarterback competition and all the way through the year with the up‑and‑downs, they have been right there behind me all the way. Our organization has done an excellent job in providing the plan and all kinds of different resources for me to use to get healthy and to get better, and so it's been a team effort.

On cadence…

Well, it's much tougher to use cadence on the road than at home, obviously, because of the crowd noise and when you have to use your shotgun you can't use your voice as much but cadence can be a factor. (Jason) Taylor and all those guys, they are veteran guys and they have all seen a lot and you don't get a lot past them. If you can just create just a little bit of hesitation, it will give you a split second more to throw the football. If you don't create any hesitation at all, you don't have much of a chance, they are playing really well.

On changing cadence…

Well, I think our coaching staff has done an excellent job of emphasizing the importance of cadence. We have really practiced and worked on it. You can't talk about using your cadence and using different types of snap counts if you don't work on it. It just doesn't happen naturally. Your linemen and all of your guys in the huddle have to be very comfortable with that for you to do it, and they have done a great job of concentrating. It really calls for a lot of concentration, especially late in the game and when guys get tired and fatigued.

On Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas…

Well, I think both Zach and Jason, first are true professionals. I don't think in my experience playing against them, I don't think they have really ever had a down year as far as their performance. They may have had to deal with some injuries that have hindered them, but as far as their performance week‑in and week‑out, they are the epitome of consistency, and their effort is 100% every play. You have to know where those two guys are on the field at all times. If you do not get Jason and Zach blocked, you don't have a very good chance of being successful.

On playing a Monday Night Football game…

We're excited as a team to just have a chance to be successful late in the season. What we've done a really good job of and what Coach Mangini has done a great job of, is maintaining the same approach. To us, and I mean this in all sincerity, this week is no different than week four or five. Our preparation is going to remain the same. Our approach, our intensity is going to remain the same. That's the only way you can be successful and remain consistent. So you know, then with all of the media outlets that we have nowadays, you're always on television. This game is very important because it's a division game. It's very tough to play Miami on the road. They are playing very well. So this is a big game because it's the next game and because it's our last division game.

On maintaining focus…

At the end of the season for all football players, your focus has to increase, because your bodies are a little bit different than they were in the beginning of the season. You have to focus not only on your mental preparation, but make sure you are getting everything you need physically to be able to perform at a high level. Any time the Jets and the Dolphins get together it's always exciting. You know it's going to be an exciting time.

On Laveranues Coles and Kerry Rhodes not being Pro Bowl selections…

I think those guys (Laveranues Coles and Kerry Rhodes) have had excellent years, I really do. They have been very productive for us on defense and offense, and any time there's been a big play to be made both Laveranues and Kerry have made those plays for us. The Pro Bowl is something that you have a lot of good players out there that are having really good seasons and it's just tough. It's tough sometimes to get voted in, but I know those guys, they have had great years and they will keep just getting better and better.

On the Jets-Dolphins history…

The Jets‑Dolphins games are one of the few games where you actually hear the fans from the away crowd. So when you're playing in New York, you hear the Dolphins fans. When you're playing in Miami, you see and hear the Jets fans. It's a unique rivalry. It's a unique blend of Jets and Dolphins fans, no matter if you're home or if you're away. It always creates excitement no matter what the records are, no matter what is at stake, it's a big game and it's played very fast, very physical and it normally comes right down to the fourth quarter.

On the importance of last week’s game…

Last week was just indicative of how the season has gone for us as a team. When we've had a setback, we've been able to respond relatively well in the next game, and not put two bad performances together. We've been able to respond positively and normally, we get a win, or at least play really well after a so‑so performance. To me that's just part of being a professional. It’s about being able to respond to adversity and respond when things are not going your way and don't look so bright. You know, I've just really tried to focus on that, and I think that our coaching staff, starting with Eric, has just done a great job of teaching us how to do that and made sure that we don't go too high or too low with the emotions and stay on an even keel, win, lose or draw.

On continuing to win…

Absolutely, the goal is to build upon your momentum, build upon the progress that you've made, and try to make improvement. You can't make improvement by looking forward or looking ahead. You have to concentrate on one thing at a time. Today our goal is to have one good practice, and then hopefully tomorrow put two together and just kind of build that way.

On the lack of controversy with the team…

Well, we've had our share, too, over the years. It's just one of those things as a professional, you try to deal with it like a professional and handle it as best you can and move on.

One Outcome will Greatly Impact Jets' Playoff Picture

By Eric Allen

Eric Allen is the Senior Managing Editor of newyorkjets.com.

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/one-outcome-will-greatly-impact-jets-playoff-picture

The New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins won’t play until Christmas evening, meaning Monday’s late contest on December 25 will be the final game of the upcoming football weekend. The 8-6 Jets are right in the middle of the AFC playoff picture and one particular outcome could have a great impact on the club’s possible postseason future.

“It's not going to change for us Monday night,” said Jets head coach Eric Mangini of his team’s approach. “Whether someone wins or loses, our approach is going to be the same. I don't think the team’s intensity level or the amount of work that they do throughout the week or any of that is going to be affected by the games that take place Sunday.”

The Jets are one of four AFC teams who own an 8-6 record and are contenders for the conference’s two wild cards. That quartet also includes Jacksonville, Cincinnati and Denver. Barring a tie, either the Bengals or Broncos will definitely lose Sunday because they meet in a late game at Invesco Field. So come kickoff in South Florida, the Jets will have already vaulted someone in the standings.

Then there is that Jacksonville club who will host New England, Mangini’s former employer, Sunday at Alltel Stadium. Ironically, a Patriots win would allow the Jets to control their own destiny. But if the Jags fall at home, the Jets would make the playoffs by defeating the Dolphins on the road and then downing the Raiders at the Meadowlands come New Year’s Eve.

But if the Jaguars pick up their ninth win of the season Sunday, the Jets will gain on the Patriots in the hunt for an improbable AFC East championship. Tiebreakers favor the Green & White over the Pats if the two squads finish 10-6. New England closes its city December 31 at a suddenly hot Tennessee team.

If the Jets split their last two games and finish 9-7, they would require a lot of help in order to obtain a wild card berth. What would they need? Just three of these possible four scenarios: the Bills lose their two final contests (vs. Tennessee, @ Baltimore), the Bengals drop their final two (@ Denver, vs. Pittsburgh), the Jags lose their two remaining games (vs. New England @ Kansas City), and the Broncos go 1-1 (vs. Cincinnati, vs. San Francisco) in combination with the Chiefs winning out (@ Oakland, vs. Jacksonville).

After Sunday’s games, we’ll take a look at the changed Jets’ landscape before their festive meeting with Dolphins. But if you are a fan of the Green & White, the game you want to see Sunday is New England @ Jacksonville. A Patriots win places everything in the Jets’ hands while a Jags victory means Mangini’s club still has a chance at catching New England for the AFC East title.

The Jets are back playing meaningful football in December. They remain concentrated on Miami despite all the playoff hype on the periphery.

“We're all excited about playing in these games,” Mangini said. “This is a great opportunity. The hard work that we've put in throughout the season, the progress that we've made throughout the season, this is what you want, to be playing meaningful games late in the season.”

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/20/lease.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Jets, Giants move ahead on stadium

Posted: Wednesday December 20, 2006 5:24PM; Updated: Wednesday December 20, 2006 5:24PM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- One of the final major negotiating hurdles for a new football stadium at the Meadowlands has been cleared.

The board of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority voted Wednesday to allow its chairman, Carl Goldberg, to sign a ground lease with the New York Giants and New York Jets for the proposed stadium, projected to cost more than $1 billion and open in 2010.

"Certainly this is the primary legal document that binds the Sports Authority to the franchises for the construction of the stadium," Goldberg said. He said he would likely sign the lease Thursday.

The authority, which owns the land at the Meadowlands, will enter into a 39-year lease with the teams for $5 million annually, Goldberg said.

After the 15th year of the initial lease, and after giving 12 months' notice, either team would have an option to leave the stadium every five years. But if one team exercises the option, the other is obligated to stay for the remainder of the initial lease.

The teams would have four options to extend the lease in increments of 141/2 years. The teams could occupy the stadium for 97 years if all options are exercised.

In a statement, the teams said the approval represents the culmination of more than two years of work with the sports authority, Gov. Jon S. Corzine, Senate President Richard Codey and other state officials.

"We are very proud to be a part of this exciting revitalization of the Meadowlands Sports Complex that guarantees that the Meadowlands will remain home to NFL football for decades to come," said Alice McGillion, a spokeswoman for New Meadowlands Stadium Corp., a company that represents the team owners.

The board must still approve the final master plan for the stadium, and it is undergoing environmental reviews with the state and Meadowlands Commission.

Earlier this month, NFL owners approved $300 million in loans to help finance the new stadium.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/mvp-honor-humbles-coles

MVP Honor Humbles Coles

By John Beattie

John Beattie is a reporter for the Jets and contributes to newyorkjets.com.

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mvp-honor-humbles-coles

Just one day after kickoff returner Justin Miller was selected to his first career Pro Bowl, the Jets announced their annual awards. Laveranues Coles was voted Team MVP by his teammates and the wide receiver feels that there is no honor he would rather have – including a trip to the Pro Bowl.

“You get kind of excited."Coles said after learning he won the MVP award. "You don’t want to stand up and clap for yourself, but it’s a great feeling. I’m very pleased that they feel that way about me.”

Coles became just the second wide receiver in 15 years to win the award, joining Santana Moss who captured the title in 2003. Coles, a seventh-year veteran, leads the team in receptions (87), receiving yards (1,065), and touchdown catches (six).

“These are the guys in my locker room that voted for me; these are the guys that are around me everyday that I get an opportunity to spend time with and have a relationship with away from football,” Coles said. “That’s more important to me than any Pro Bowl I could ever make. It just says that these guys really care about me and what I mean to this team.”

“To me, that's a very significant and well‑deserved award,” added head coach Eric Mangini of his top receiver. “He has been outstanding not just in his production, but all of the other things that he brings to the table. I think that's a great award.”

One reason why his teammates and coaches respect Coles so much is because of the toughness he consistently displays.

“With my past and everything I’ve been through in my life, I know that certain things that I have to do deal with are just mental,” he said. “If you’ve been through so much, then there is really nothing much that can bother you. Pain is just something that you deal with, and at the end of the day it will go way eventually.

“There is a difference between being hurt and being injured,” Coles explained. “You have to know the difference between the two.”

In Week Four, Coles absorbed a shattering hit on the last play against the Colts. One week later, he started in his 85th straight game (a streak that has now reached 94). Just last week in the fourth quarter against the Vikings, Coles took a vicious shot to the back of the ribs and rolled in agony until trainer John Mellody rushed out for assistance. Coles always returns to action.

“Laveranues, he's so tough; it doesn't matter what gets hit,” Mangini said of Coles. “He pops up, moves on. He's tough. He's the example for toughness.”

While every follower of the Green and White knows Coles’ value, he will soon have another opportunity to show a whole nation of viewers why he was voted Team MVP. The Jets travel to Miami for ESPN’s Monday Night Football in a few days and Coles has been sensational against the Dolphins throughout his career. Back in 2000, Coles - a third round rookie from Florida State - registered his first career touchdown during the “Monday Night Miracle.” Coles’ 30-yard scoring catch in the fourth quarter sparked the greatest comeback in franchise history.

“That was one of my most memorable games,” Coles said. “I think that’s what New York and Miami is about. We’re very competitive teams, and when we play each other it’s exciting.”

Coles’ career numbers against the Dolphins are dazzling. In 11 meetings with the Dolphins, he has scored nine touchdowns and averaged 15.1 yards on his 37 receptions. Earlier this season, Coles went off with a two touchdown, 106-yard performance as the Jets captured the October battle at the Meadowlands.

On Wednesday, Coles did admit to a history between him and the Dolphins that may fuel his fire on gamedays.

“I really had a grudge against Miami before I was drafted into the league at the Senior Bowl,” he recalled. “Basically I was trying to get drafted at the time and I asked the guys who were there to let me take the test they had at the Senior Bowl, and they told me no. The first thing that popped in my head is ‘You’re going to regret treating me this way.’”

But the Jets’ 2006 Team MVP likes to have success against all opponents. Coles, who has collected four 100-yard games this season and is second in the NFL with 28 third-down receptions, needs just seven receptions to overtake Al Toon (93) for most receptions by a Jet in a season.

“It is what it is and it has nothing to do with that,” said Coles of Senior Bowl experience. “I go out and try to have success against everybody, but it just so happens that I had quite a bit of success against those guys.”

Miller’s Maturity

Just because Justin Miller is officially a Pro Bowler, it doesn’t mean his growth as a professional is done. The league leader in yards per kickoff return is still developing as a cornerback.

“He needs to be consistent there,” Mangini said of Miller. “We talked quite a bit about a penalty he had this weekend, which was an emotional penalty, but you can't have those things. You can't respond to something that makes you feel good for two seconds but hurts the group.”

Even though he is in his second professional season, Miller is the youngest member of the Jets at age 22. With such raw talent and energy, Miller is well on his way to a successful career.

“I think that Justin is working at it and he's made a lot of strides and he'll continue to make strides,” Mangini said of Miller. “As long as you care and you work at it and you make progress, then - with his ability level - it will be all uphill, all positive.”

Considering half of Miller’s duties rely on his ability to spark the offense with excitement, energy and all-out aggressiveness, he sometimes finds it difficult to curb his emotions as a defensive back. Miller feels it’s just part of the game and he has been adjusting.

“You get excited sometimes, but the main thing is you have to concentrate and play,” said the former Clemson Tiger. “It’s kind of hard; you just have to go out there and stay focused even though you’re revved up. You have to balance it out; you can’t let it take over.”

Mangini: The Focus isn't Hawaii, it's Miami

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangini-the-focus-isn-t-hawaii-it-s-miami

Every season there are a handful of NFL players who many feel get “snubbed” in Pro Bowl voting. Jets' safety Kerry Rhodes broke out with an explosive year and was left off of the '06 AFC roster, as was seven-year veteran Laveranues Coles. For head coach Eric Mangini, the annual All Star event takes a backseat to the task at hand: winning the next game.

“Really the focus isn't Hawaii for us; it's Miami,” said Mangini. “If you're winning and you're being successful and you're doing all those things, that's really rewarding to players. That is really what you're looking for is team success and all of the other things kind of fall into place.”

Read below for Coach Mangini’s complete press conference transcript

New York Jets’ Head Coach Eric Mangini, 12.20

Opening Statement…

We signed Vaka Manapuna, a defensive lineman to our practice squad.

It will be a normal week of practice today through Saturday. On Saturday we'll have more than a normal Saturday in terms of what we'll do on the field. We will try to get the guys off relatively early to get home. We want to give them a block of time with their families to celebrate the holidays and then we'll come back, get on a plane, head to Miami and then restart the meetings down in Miami both that evening and some the next day as well.

I have great respect for Nick (Saban). I got to know Nick not only a little bit in Cleveland and also in the interview process when I went down there and spent some time with him. He's really a smart football coach and incredibly detailed. He always finds good ways to attack his opponents in all three phases, and I know he'll obviously have them ready to play on Monday night.

Offensively, they present a tremendous challenge because they have four guys with over 50 catches. They have two running backs that can hurt you. Joey Harrington is doing a good job spreading the ball around and getting everybody involved. All of those different playmakers can hurt you in different ways and you really need to understand what their strengths and weaknesses are. They are all very good, but they are all very different.

Defensively, Miami is third in the league in defense. They can apply pressure from a lot of different areas whether it's through the actual pressure game or through just the four-man rush. They are also very stout against the run, that will be challenging, as well.

In terms of special teams, they are doing a good job with field position. It could be the touchbacks, it could be the amount of times they have been able to pin the opponents inside their own five-yard line, not just the 10 now, but inside the five. You turn on the tape and drives are starting on the four, on the three, and that's a long, hard way to go. With Wes Welker, he can break one at any time. He's tough, he can change direction and change fields so quickly. That will be difficult as well.

On playing a December Monday night game…

It's exciting for me personally. It's exciting for the team. It's what you work so hard for so long is to get in this position where you can play those games late in the season and this is a great opportunity. It's a great opportunity for us to not just compete for what we are competing for, but also to be able to play on Monday night, on Christmas. It's unique, and that's great for us.

On keeping the team focused…

We'll go through the normal week of preparation and we'll talk about those things. This is the first Monday night game that we've had, so we'll schedule accordingly. We are trying to maximize preparation. We want as much energy and effort going into the preparation as we can get, but we don't want to get to the point that by the time you get to the game, you're fatigued. So it's spacing it out and doing a good job there with maximizing what we need to do to get ready. Also being able to maximize our intensity when we do have to go execute.

On the team responding well to adversity…

The approach has been very consistent. When we played Buffalo, Buffalo is a good team and Buffalo had been making a lot of progress. It's like anything else, though. Whether you have success or failure, you always want to approach the week the same, and that's something that's been an ongoing process for us.

Teddy Atlas said to me the other day, ‘Success is like a martini; it relaxes you.’ I think that there's an element of truth to that in anything that you do. We talk about this quite a bit, but it’s the battle against human nature where if you are being successful, if you are having a measure of success, you can’t gloss over the things that need to be fixed. On the other hand, if things aren’t going too well, you can't look at it as if the sky is falling and dwell on the mistakes so much that you can't make progress. It's dealing with both those emotions and looking at it as one opponent, one week, one challenge and learn from the things that you did and not internalize them so much that you can't grow. That's what we're trying to do is consistently grow.

On Justin Miller being selected to the Pro Bowl…

Justin has done a really outstanding job there. He's got that attacking style. He's very aggressive, he breaks tackles and all of that is excellent. It's not just a tribute to him, but also to (special teams coordinator) Mike Westhoff and (special teams assistant coach) Sam Gash and the whole return unit. Like anything else, Justin makes it go, but there's a lot of other guys that make it go as well and without them. Collectively, this is a really nice honor.

On Miller as a defensive back…

It's something that goes back to consistency. He needs to be consistent there. We talked quite a bit about a penalty he had this weekend, which was an emotional penalty, but you can't have those things. You can't respond to something that makes you feel good for two seconds but hurts the group and that's part of the process. It's not something that we do. We're not going to operate that way, and you need to have the understanding of, okay, so the guy might have done something, don't react. The best thing you can do is get the penalty and not give up the penalty. That's part of the process and we have to continue to make strides there.

On whether emotional penalties are annoying…

It was annoying, it was first and 15 at the minus five. It's hard to get that field position. It's difficult to have your opponent backed up, and that's a scoring opportunity in the sense that if you keep them backed up, usually you're going to get a punt, you're going to get good field position. Now you're talking about 15-to-20 yards to a field goal. Those penalties are controllable. Penalties based on emotion are even more controllable, and that's something that everybody has to do a good job with across the board.

On being frustrated my emotional penalties…

I've seen guys, old and young, make those mistakes. The important thing is just to not let it happen again. Rodney Harrison was a good example of that where he may have gotten a few of those in San Diego, but later on he started getting the penalties against him. That's the goal, to be able to generate penalties against you as opposed to reacting that way.

On Miller’s progress…

He's done a lot of good things. Against Buffalo, he had the fumble and a forced fumble recovery and the tackle behind the line of scrimmage. It goes back to not just 30 plays a game, but to be able to do it play-in and play-out on a consistent basis. That's so key, and especially a defensive back. If you do have one hiccup, then you're on ESPN and it's points scored and it's significant. There is usually no barrier there to cover that up.

Justin is working at it and he's made a lot of strides and he'll continue to make strides, and as long as you care and you work at it and you make progress, then with his ability level, it will be all uphill, all positive.

On channeling Miller’s talent and emotions…

There are a lot of passionate guys that play positions where they are able to harness that passion and I think Justin does a really good job with that. That's something that when you channel that emotion into all the right areas, you make a lot of really big plays and strides. That's something that he's working at and we're going to continue to work at with him to get him more involved.

On Miami using audio to gain advantage over New England…

If they were able to get some value from that, it's really a good decision. It's on TV and everybody has a DVD, so if you can get something off that, I think it's great.

On if the Jets have used that to their advantage..

We check out a couple of those tapes every now and then. It's within the framework, it's within the rules, it's fair and it's a good decision.

On what can be gained from using those tapes…

Each week you change the words that you use, you are constantly doing a self scout as to what words have we used, what signals have we used, what things have we used that could be a pattern that someone could pick up on. You alter those weekly to try to counterbalance that; understanding that information is out there and with it being out there, it could possibly be something that could be taken advantage of.

On if audibles can be heard on the tapes…

It's different each week. Sometimes it could be the snap count, what the trigger word is. It may come up you go through an audible and there's some trigger word that says, ‘Okay, I'm done talking we're going to snap the ball.’ It could be something like that. It could be an audible that triggers a certain route or a running play. Sometimes it's just dummy calls and you have to sort through that, because you will come up and say a lot of nothing. So you'll get in the huddle and say, ‘Okay fellas, look, here is the play, disregard everything I say,’ and you come up and you say a bunch of nothing, you point around, you look down the field and everybody knows the play is the play.

On Saban using the tapes to his advantage…

Nick is incredibly smart and incredibly detailed. He's won everywhere he's been. He's good. Getting any advantage you can get within the framework of the rules is smart.

On Laveranues Coles and Kerry Rhodes being left out of the Pro Bowl selections…

Laveranues and Kerry both have had good years. With the Pro Bowl, you cast your vote and you hope for the best and you always want to see your guys be successful. They both had outstanding years. Laveranues was voted MVP for the Jets, and to me, that's a very significant award, and a well-deserved award. He's been outstanding not just in his production, but all of the other things that he brings to the table. And to me, that's a great award.

On how guys who didn’t make the Pro Bowl react…

Really the focus isn't Hawaii for us, it's Miami. I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

If you're winning and you're being successful and you're doing all those things, that's really rewarding to players. I've talked to guys over the course of the year where maybe they have had a ton of personal success, maybe they have been the best player on a bad team, but they would trade all that for team success. That's really what you're looking for is team success and all of the other things kind of fall into place.

On having a quiet season…

I think quiet is good. We should just all stay quiet.

On Nick Mangold as Rookie of the Year…

I haven't looked at everybody else. I know that he's done a good job for us and I really like Nick. I think that Sunday was another good example of Nick where he gets banged up on first play there, he goes off, he gets evaluated and doesn't miss a beat. Against New England, he gets poked in the eye and missed a play and he's back in. When we talk about guys that football is important to, that really enjoy playing, that have that passion, Nick has that. With all of the other characteristics that he has, he's done an outstanding job for a rookie in that position.

On Coles and Mangold being on the injury report this week…

They will both be on it. Laveranues, it's the back, rib area. One of those two, or maybe both. With Nick it will be the hip. The same things that they have had.

In what they are classified as…

I have to talk to John Mellody (head trainer), and then I'll give the official classification later today.

On if Wade Smith would have played in Mangold’s absence…

Wade has been working at center as a backup for us and Pete's (Kendall) done some work there as well. We have a couple options there.

Wade would probably have initially gone in for us. We talk about that as it was going to see how it fits.

On Hank Poteat…

I've known Hank for a while, between New England and here. Hank is one of these guys that works as hard as he possibly can, does exactly what you ask him to do, competes like crazy, is tough, and cares. I've always liked those qualities in Hank and I've always respected his approach. He has done some traveling, but no matter where he shows up, when he gets there, he's ready to work. That was my experience with him prior.

On Minnesota being Poteat’s best game…

The best thing that I liked about what Hank did is, during practice earlier in the week, he got beat on the play. We actually talked about it in a team meeting, his hand placement on the play where he had reached with the wrong arm. In the Minnesota game, it's not the same pass, it's a little tighter than the one on the sideline, but the same concept, and he reached with the correct arm and made the play. That is where you tell him, ‘Okay, Hank, this is what we want you to do, this is why we want to you do it,’ and he's going to go out and try to do it exactly that way. That was a good example of him taking the coaching and applying it, and it would have been a huge play in the game if Minnesota had come out with it.

On Poteat taking coaching…

Hank has always taken the coaching. Everything I asked him to do when I was his position coach and the coordinator he did. That's a real strength of his and he tries to do it exactly the way that you ask him to do it. He's done some good things for us in the roles that he's played, and even New England when I had him there, he was always a guy that would go in and do what you asked him to do.

On the playoffs…

The last two weeks are a good example of why it's so important just to focus on the task at hand. There was a lot of that same conversation prior to Buffalo, and the point of emphasis there was if we take care of the things that we have to take care of, then all of the other stuff will take care of itself. We were not successful against Buffalo and things changed dramatically and we were successful against Minnesota. The only thing that has been important right along is whether you win against Buffalo and whether you win against Minnesota. Now it's whether we win against Miami. And if you do that, whoever else wins or loses, we can't do anything about that.

It's exciting that we have a chance now to go play the game that we can play. The fact is if we take care of those things, then everything else will fall into place. But if we don't, it really doesn't matter, and that's the constant reminder to the players; this is what's most important, right here, right now. This game, just like last game was, and next week when we get to that point.

On players talking about other games…

It's human nature for guys to follow that. I watch other games, and it's just that we're all football fans. Outside of participating, you end up watching a lot of football when you're not involved in football or when you get the window. That stuff, it's great. It's great that we're having the conversations about the possibilities, but to me the biggest thing is the task at hand and if you lose focus of that at any point, it will be just a lot of nice conversation.

On the playoff scenarios…

I'm really not on top of the different combos. There are a bunch of them from what I understand.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDE5ODMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Well-traveled Poteat finds home with Jets

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Hank Poteat has gotten used to keeping his luggage within easy reach.

The veteran cornerback has been waived seven times in his seven professional seasons, including three times this year, and hasn't stayed with one team for an entire season since 2002. Poteat is an NFL nomad -- with a Super Bowl ring and big-game credentials.

"It all depends on the person," Poteat said. "You're either going to grow from it or you're going to continue to take it as a negative and just go under from there."

The well-traveled Poteat has suddenly found a home with the Jets. He already has a career-high 31 total tackles and had perhaps his best overall game at Minnesota on Sunday, when he had six tackles and defended a pass in the Jets' 26-13 win.

"I can't be mad at any of those situations because all things work together and it's helped me to be the person that I am now, and helped me be the player that I am now," the 29-year-old Poteat said. "Maybe if I never got cut, I might not be this guy now."

Poteat has started the last four games at right cornerback for the Jets, after starting just twice in his first six-plus seasons.

"Each and every time I work out, when I'm training, I'm never training to be just in the NFL or training to just be part of the team," he said. "I always train to be the best and training to be a starter. This is a reward for all my hard work and dedication and persevering and never giving up on myself."

That could've been easy to do, especially early in his career. Poteat was selected by the Steelers out of the University of Pittsburgh in the third round of the 2000 draft and played 15 games as a rookie. He was a solid player mainly on special teams for three years and helped the Steelers to the playoffs in 2002, but they waived him late in training camp before the next season.

"It turned my life around completely," Poteat said. "You never think you're going to get cut. You always hear those things, especially when you're drafted and you go to the rookie symposium, they give you statistics on who's going to be here a certain amount of years. You never believe that's going to be you until it hits you smack in the face. Then, you're sitting out watching."

And waiting.

Poteat was out of work for nearly two months until Tampa Bay called. He played in one game for the Buccaneers, who waived him with a few weeks left in the season. Carolina then signed him, but cut him shortly before the 2004 season.

Then came more waiting. An entire regular season went by -- and nothing.

"I just continued to work hard and believed I could play and I knew I had to do something better," Poteat said.

Then, like something out of a feel-good Disney movie, Poteat got a call from New England during the playoffs. The Patriots were short-handed in their secondary and Poteat played in all three postseason games -- including the Super Bowl victory over Carolina.

"When I first came into the NFL, being young and inexperienced, I didn't do all the things that I needed to to be a professional," Poteat said. "I believe when I got cut the first time -- and I've been cut a lot -- when you're out, you learn to understand the things you should've done to stay in this league."

But that didn't prevent him from being cut again -- four more times. The Patriots waived him at the end of training camp last year, re-signed him in Week 6, and cut him again this summer.

Jets coach Eric Mangini, who worked with Poteat in New England last year, got New York to sign him on Sept. 1. Poteat played against Philadelphia in a preseason game that night, but was waived the next day.

He ended up back with the Patriots after Week 3 and played in two games before returning to the unemployment line for a day. Then, the Jets re-signed him.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDE4NTYmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Teammates name Coles their MVP

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Laveranues Coles still may participate in the second Pro Bowl of his career -- he's first alternate behind the four wide receivers named to the AFC squad. But Wednesday he was voted Jets MVP by his teammates, and that's the honor he prefers.

"When I heard, it was like, 'Man, my teammates really like me,' " Coles said. "You don't want to jump up and clap for yourself, but it's great.

"It shows me if I keep going in the right direction, maybe I can be the MVP a couple more times for this ballteam."

Coles leads the Jets with 87 receptions, 1,065 receiving yards, six touchdown catches, 52 first downs and 22 third-down conversions. Seven more catches would lift him past Al Toon's club-record 93 in 1988, and 13 would make him the first 100-catch receiver in franchise history.

Wide receivers were named team MVP 10 previous times, led by Al Toon's three awards from 1986-88. The last wideout to be honored was Santana Moss in 2003.

Emotional Miller

Eric Mangini is pleased for Justin Miller and his kickoff return team that Miller was named as the AFC's Pro Bowl kick returner.

But the coach wasn't happy about Miller's retaliatory blow to the head of Minnesota's Troy Williamson on Sunday that turned a second-and-12 at the Vikings' 9 into a first-and-10 at their 24.

"It was annoying," Mangini said Wednesday. "You can't respond to something that makes you feel good for two seconds but hurts the group. That's not part of the process, not something we do. We're not going to operate that way."

Briefs

RB Cedric Houston, roughed up by the Vikings, is back on the Jets' 16-player injury report as questionable with a calf injury. ... Coles (back) is questionable, C Nick Mangold (hip) is probable. ... The Jets practiced Wednesday, the Dolphins did not. ... Other Jets team awards: Ed Block Courage -- TE Chris Baker; Marty Lyons Award for Community Service -- S Erik Coleman; Kyle Clifton Good Guy -- WR Jerricho Cotchery.

-- RANDY LANGE/Special to the Herald News

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDE3MTEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets blog

Words of wisdom

December 21, 2006

Eric Mangini was a quote machine Wednesday. On why his Jets do so well when facing adversity, the coach referred to a phone call Monday with that legendary boxing trainer of his acquaintance.

"Teddy Atlas said to me the other day that success is like a martini. It relaxes you," Mangini said.

On Laveranues Coles and Kerry Rhodes being snubbed in the Pro Bowl balloting:

"The focus really isn't Hawaii. For us, it's Miami."

As for the Jets being the area's quieter team compared to the loud daily reports on the condition of the Giants, Mangini came down on the side of less noise.

"I think quiet's positive. I think quiet's good," he said. "Let's all stay quiet."

-- Randy Lange

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/12/20/jets-dolphins-injury-report-2/

Jets-Dolphins injury report

December 20

But first, some snippets from Jetsland today…

...The Jets must have felt like they were inside a TV set practicing in the bubble. The ``Monday Night Football’’ theme was blaring so loudly it could be heard clearly throughout that part of the Hofstra campus. Also on today’s soundtrack, the Stones’ ``Start Me Up.’’

...The Jets seemed to have no problem with Dolphins coach Nick Saban studying the cadence of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady through purchased videos. In fact, coach Eric Mangini and tight end Chris Baker, who knows Saban from their Michigan State days, said it was a clever move. Baker said he wouldn’t be surprised if other coaches around the league started doing – if they hadn’t already.

``Well, it’s much tougher to use cadence on the road than at home, obviously, because of the crowd noise and when you have to use your shotgun you can’t use your voice as much but cadence can be a factor,’’ Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. ``(Jason) Taylor and all those guys, they are veteran guys and they have all seen a lot and you don’t get a lot past them. If you can just create just a little bit of hesitation, it will give you a split second more to throw the football. If you don’t create any hesitation at all, you don’t have much of a chance, they are playing really well.

``I think our coaching staff has done an excellent job of emphasizing the importance of cadence,’’ Pennington said. ``We have really practiced and worked on it. You can’t talk about using your cadence and using different types of snap counts if you don’t work on it. It just doesn’t happen naturally. Your linemen and all of your guys in the huddle have to be very comfortable with that for you to do it, and they have done a great job of concentrating. It really calls for a lot of concentration, especially late in the game and when guys get tired and fatigued.’’

...While on the topic of Saban, Baker said he would be surprised if Saban wound up leaving the Dolphins to coach Alabama. Baker, a free agent last offseason pursued by Saban’s Dolphins, said he visited Miami’s practice facility and said Saban’s set-up there reminded him of Al Pacino’s in ``Scarface.’’ I asked him if that meant Saban had a ``little friend,’’ to which Baker laughed and said no. But after listing all the reasons Saban would want to stay in Miami, Baker had to admit that the players thought he was staying at Michigan State, too.

...Safety Kerry Rhodes is not distraught having not made the Pro Bowl.

``I’m fine with it,’’ Rhodes said. ``I’m young, I’m sure, well, I’m not sure, but I think there will be more opportunities for me, I’m not going to dwell on this one, the players that made it were deserving.’’

He’s right, he will have other opportunities to make the Pro Bowl. But he was jobbed in favor of the Broncos’ John Lynch.

...At long last, the injury list.

Jets – FB B.J. Askew (foot), CB David Barrett (hip), WR Laveranues Coles (back), RB Cedric Houston (calf), LB Anthony Schlegel (illness) and S Eric Smith (foot) are questionable and did not participate in all 11-on-11 drills today. RB Kevan Barlow (calf), LB Matt Chatham (foot), C Nick Mangold (hip), WR Justin McCareins (foot), RG Brandon Moore (back), NT Rashad Moore (hand), QB Chad Pennington (calf), LB Bryan Thomas (shoulder), S Jamie Thompson (ankle) and WR Wallace Wright (thigh) are probable and practiced.

Dolphins – WR Marty Booker (ankle) and DT Dan Wilkinson (calf) are doubtful. CB Will Allen (groin/quad) and RB Ronnie Brown (hand) are questionable, though word is Brown will play. QB Joey Harrington (ankle) and DT Keith Traylor (knee) are probable.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2006/12/summing_up_the_season.html

(from Tuesday night but I didn't see it posted)

Summing up the Season

By Tom Rock

Welcome to the essence of multi-media! I wrote a story for the Wednesday paper talking about the three players who I believe are having career years -- Jerricho Cotchery, Bryan Thomas and Kerry Rhodes in case you missed it or are logging on here before the story is published. But I also promised to go further on this blog in terms of pointing to several players who came in with high expectations and delivered and those who have been disappointment either in the play or lack thereof. Intelligent comments and contradictory arguments are, as always, welcomed. Idiocy is not. This means you, Glauber!!!

THOSE WHO PROMISED AND DELIVERED

Laveranues Coles – The only proven offensive weapons entering the season, Coles has 87 catches for 1,065 yards. Though he has become the target of many defensive schemes, the Jets continue to find ways to get him the ball – 12 receptions on Sunday – and his toughness is invaluable for a Jets offense that relies so heavily on short underneath passes that abuse receivers’ bodies.

Andre Dyson – The Jets brought in the veteran to provide stability in the secondary, and he has done just that by starting every game at left cornerback and adding guidance to the four other players who have been given the right cornerback job. Dyson had two interceptions in the opening day win at Tennessee and has four on the season.

Pete Kendall – With a rookie on each shoulder, the 11-year veteran guard has had to be both professor and protector. The development of D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Mangold can be traced in no small way to Kendall’s tutelage. Oh, he’s also had a pretty decent season himself, rebounding from an early hamstring injury.

FAILED TO MEET EXPECTATIONS

Derrick Blaylock – After opening the season as the starting running back, Blaylock has been inactive the last eight games and hasn’t taken a handoff since Week 2. He may be making contributions – Mangini named him practice player of the week following the Vikings win – but his game production is a disappointment.

Adrian Jones – Jones was the starting left tackle when 2005 ended and penciled in as the starting right tackle for 2006. But Anthony Clement overtook him for the job late in training camp and, despite some inconsistent play by Clement, Jones has been unable to get it back. A DWI arrest in late November didn’t go over well with Mangini and Co.

Kimo von Oelhoffen – Brought in for his Super Bowl experience and his knowledge of the 3-4 defense, von Oelhoffen has one sack this season and his 25 total tackles are on pace to be his lowest since he became a steady starter in the league in 2000 and by far the lowest among the nine Jets who have started every game on defense.

AND JUST AS A REFRESHER, THE CAREER YEAR CREW

Jerricho Cotchery – Two seasons as a reserve made the wide receiver hungry, and a coaching change during the offseason has given him a chance to produce during his third year in the NFL. Cotchery has 71 catches for 858 yards – he had 25 for 311 in the previous two seasons combined – and has given opposing defenses pause about double-teaming Laveranues Coles. Coach Eric Mangini said he noticed the solid plays Cotchery always seemed to make when studying tapes as a Patriots defensive coach. Having Noel Mazzone, his college offensive coordinator, as the Jets receivers coach this season has added to his level of comfort.

Bryan Thomas – After registering 35 sacks in college, Thomas was a disappointment in his first four seasons with the Jets, playing behind Shaun Ellis and John Abraham and recording only 6.5 sacks. But the move from traditional defensive end in the 4-3 to outside linebacker in the 3-4 allowed Thomas to flourish. He was one of the first to truly catch on to the new system and leads the team with 7.5 sacks this season, including 4.5 in the last four games. Earlier this month he received a meaty five-year extension from the Jets.

Kerry Rhodes – The second-year safety made it clear that he wouldn’t be hanging back breaking up passes and tackling loose running backs from the beginning. He had three sacks and three forced fumbles in the first three games and has become a valuable part of the Jets’ aggressive defense that emerged in the second half of the season. Even when he isn’t blitzing quarterbacks, he’s up on the line of scrimmage giving them something else to think about. After one sack and one interception last year, he has four of each in 2006 to go with 12 pass defenses

Archived