Trading back 1 spot from 10 to 11

JD has always been good at trades

Jamal Adams-  one if the biggest heists in our history maybe

sam Darnold- turned into Breece Hall plus a 4th

chris Herndon Blake Cashman-  hit value for then 

• Upvote 3

Very nice breakdown of what seemed like a blip of a trade!... 

Let's see what JD does with our picks today after solidifying the OL which besides a few disappointed Bowers fans almost all Jets fans seems perfectly fine with.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

JD has always been good at trades

Jamal Adams-  one if the biggest heists in our history maybe

sam Darnold- turned into Breece Hall plus a 4th

chris Herndon Blake Cashman-  hit value for then 

And his record demonstrates his skill.   He is not in the top 50 percent of GMs in the league.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

JD did a good job and interesting that he tossed the Zach Wilson pick there for a 4 and 5. Did he really get a 4 and 5 for Zach Wilson?!?!?!?!

"The gift that keeps on giving" :D  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jdeet said:

This is interesting to me, when it happened. I know many Vikings fans crucifying them for trading a 4th and a 5th round pick for 1 spot, to a team that wasn’t ever picking JJ McCarthy. 

This is where we need to give JD some credit. No, it’s not a lot of compensation, but it is a good amount more than the charts determine and JD had to play this like he had other teams looking to trade with him for their spot.

Agreed & mentioned the same thing here:

14 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

JD did a good job and interesting that he tossed the Zach Wilson pick there for a 4 and 5. Did he really get a 4 and 5 for Zach Wilson?!?!?!?!

I noticed that right away. Now that pick is in the ether. Back of my mind, I was hoping that that would be the pick they used on a developmental QB. 

58 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They didn’t trade with the Jets because they thought the Jets would take McCarthy. They did it so we wouldn’t trade the pick to another team and have them get sniped.

It’s not that interesting. Teams do this when the stars align for it. 

Us old guys remember when the Jets did the same thing trading back from 3 to 4 with the Cardinals.  They wanted Garrison Hearst.  We got Johnny Johnson and drafted Marvin Jones.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

They didn’t trade with the Jets because they thought the Jets would take McCarthy. They did it so we wouldn’t trade the pick to another team and have them get sniped.

It’s not that interesting. Teams do this when the stars align for it. 

I just said that, but ok.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jdeet said:

This is interesting to me, when it happened. I know many Vikings fans crucifying them for trading a 4th and a 5th round pick for 1 spot, to a team that wasn’t ever picking JJ McCarthy. 

This is where we need to give JD some credit. No, it’s not a lot of compensation, but it is a good amount more than the charts determine and JD had to play this like he had other teams looking to trade with him for their spot. Specifically, the Raiders and the Broncos, and maybe the Raiders were looking to trade up, but I think they were heartbroken that Penix was taken, they just panicked and weren’t willing to trade up for a guy they really didn’t want in McCarthy. Broncos seemed set on Bo Nix, with little to no competition. 

No trades in the top 9 picks was pretty shocking to me. With all of the QBs, the asking price to move up was probably astronomical and teams like the Falcons were obviously keying in on Penix and they picked him with 9 min 50 seconds on the clock. It was not even a question of trading out, it seems. he was their guy. 

Sure, I wish we drafted Odunze, but once the Giants picked Nabers, it wasn’t going to happen. Grabbing a 4th and a 5th as chips for a trade tomorrow and getting Fashanu, was a @Beerfish like move. Albeit, not as far back, but getting the guy we wanted, and gaining 2 chips for trade, was pretty smart and other than the Chiefs trading up for Worthy, the best trade of the 1st round. 

Now, take that freebie 4th round pick and trade it to the Broncos for Courtland Sutton.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Disagree with this big time, and I agree with Jason 90% of the time.

The Broncos were taking a QB no matter what.  And, they did with Bo Nix.  I can't fault the Vikings at all for thinking the Jets would trade back just a couple spots with Denver since they knew Denver would take a QB and the Jets would then just have one positional player taken before they picked at #12 with at least two of Olu, Fuaga, and Bowers still on the board.  Vikings were afraid of Denver taking McCarthy....and they were right to be afraid. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Picking up a 4th and 5th for a 6th isn’t just swapping picks.  It’s picking up draft capital for a trade today, for 1 spot in the draft and absolutely no risk of losing the guy the jets wanted to draft. 

Yes, I'm aware of the terms of the trade. I'm saying that making it didn't require any creativity on his part. It was a no-brainer.

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yes, I'm aware of the terms of the trade. I'm saying that making it didn't require any creativity on his part. It was a no-brainer.

On JD’s part. I think the credit goes to convincing the Vikings to do it. The Giants dared them to trade up to #5, but they didn’t blink. I think if JD had another offer, as he certainly implied to Minnesota, he would've traded back again. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Trade up challenge 

the chart math of 10 and 203 for 11 and the MIN 4th, 5th works out to 10 extra points in the NYJ favor. Or, essentially a free 6th 

42 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Speak to Vikings fans today. I know many. They are outraged at the ineptness of the Vikings to give up draft capital, to move up one spot, to a team that was never taking their guy. 

If the Vikings got played, it was JD doing the playing. Not giving any credit to JD, is just absurd. We have no problem destroying the guy for everything draft related. Even though this was just a small move, it can turn into a bigger one. That’s pretty good progress. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

JD could have approached differently - wasn’t about other teams reaching out to the Jets but rather Jets reaching out to the Vikings (or any of the QBs needy teams) giving them first dibs. Threatening if they didn’t strike a deal then he’d proactively go to next team.  Could have been ongoing long before the clock started. Classic example of game theory especially since they probably failed to move up to get Maye.

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Trade up challenge 

the chart math of 10 and 203 for 11 and the MIN 4th, 5th works out to 10 extra points in the NYJ favor. Or, essentially a free 6th 

It's really more than that if you're getting the exact same player with the 11th pick that you would have with the 10th pick.

So it's really closer to 60 points -- i.e. a 4th rounder.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's really more than that if you're getting the exact same player with the 11th pick that you would have with the 10th pick.

So it's really closer to 60 points -- i.e. a 4th rounder.

that's an interesting way to look at it 

and yes. Why not 

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

So he doesn’t deserve credit for making a good, albeit “no-brainer” move and he clearly wouldn’t deserve credit if he hadn’t have made that move, so by your logic JD never deserves any credit.  👌 

• Haha 2