Positional value and day 2/3 strategy

Scarcity will be a big factor driving the QB/WR decision 

Just remember kids , they drafted a 4x MVP QB in the second round. 

grateful JD had the playing time clause in that trade. 

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Primary needs: WR, TE, S

Secondary needs: QB, RB, DL

WR is the only glaring need that will necessitate a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Ideally we trade up to get a top-15 WR prospect, but we may be okay at 72.

TE, RB and S are positions where you can find excellent prospects later in the draft relative to the quality of the prospects at other positions… purely because of positional valuation. I think we can absolutely get a thumper to complement Breece and Izzy in 4th or 5th. I can also see us adding to the TE and S rooms in the same range. 

All this to say, I think we’re fortunate that when our picks are happen to align pretty well with the parts of the draft where value meets our specific needs.

It should be a fun couple of days seeing how they finish.

I think we're set at TE, they got Yeboah back and have Kuntz the PS guy.

RB2 LB and DT are much bigger needs

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Good topic!

I don’t think TE is a need.  
Ruckert has had plenty of time to simmer.  Let’s see what he can do.  Conklin is great depth and they already have two projects. 

Wr, S, RB, and a few high RAS projects.  

Agree completely that TE is not a need. I’d like to see them use two of their remaining seven picks on WRs; their third rounder and one more in the fourth. A RB wouldn’t bother me, either, preferably a thumper. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I think we're set at TE, they got Yeboah back and have Kuntz the PS guy.

RB2 LB and DT are much bigger needs

Eh, if we hit the 5th and there’s a prospect clearly better than Yeboah, I’d welcome him.

• Upvote 1

Sell it all for McConkey

This isn’t 3 years ago when the Jets had arguably the worst roster in football and those late round picks had a legit chance of sticking to the team.

I don’t care about drafting a late round back or safety. Go sign Zeke for cheap who is still great in pass pro and can spell Breece for 10 snaps a game.

Douglas even specifically referred to those extra picks from the Minnesota trade as “ammunition” last night. The Jets are absolutely moving up into the 2nd round. The question is how high? I say go all out and get you a highly talented slot for at least the next half a decade.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

Sell it all for McConkey

This isn’t 3 years ago when the Jets had arguably the worst roster in football and those late round picks had a legit chance of sticking to the team.

I don’t care about drafting a late round back or safety. Go sign Zeke for cheap who is still great in pass pro and can spell Breece for 10 snaps a game.

Douglas even specifically referred to those extra picks from the Minnesota trade as “ammunition” last night. The Jets are absolutely moving up into the 2nd round. The question is how how high? I say go all out and get you a highly talented slot for at least the next half a decade.

This would be legit boner pants for me. It’s a really good point.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I'd like to see the Jets sell out for a WR in round 2 (trade R3 and 2 4s) and then take Audric Estime in round 4. If Pratt or Travis drop to R5 then take him, otherwise go IOL depth or double dip in the WR market

3 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Kuntz sure, i just don't think they will cut yeboah just after extending him but what do i know right

Yeboah’s contract won’t stop the Jets from cutting him, but his abilities on specials might. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

Expecting a WR in the 3rd and a developmental QB in the 4th (Pratt, Travis)

pratt is going in the 2nd i am sure. The run on wrs is already out of control with pearsall and leggete taken in the 1st.

should be interesting. I wish the jets can trade up tonight

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

WR is the only glaring need that will necessitate a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Ideally we trade up to get a top-15 WR prospect, but we may be okay at 72.

TE, RB and S are positions where you can find excellent prospects later in the draft relative to the quality of the prospects at other positions… purely because of positional valuation. I think we can absolutely get a thumper to complement Breece and Izzy in 4th or 5th. I can also see us adding to the TE and S rooms in the same range. 

All this to say, I think we’re fortunate that when our picks are happen to align pretty well with the parts of the draft where value meets our specific needs.

I would place LB in the Primary list & TE in the Secondary one. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sell it all for McConkey

Douglas even specifically referred to those extra picks from the Minnesota trade as “ammunition” last night. The Jets are absolutely moving up into the 2nd round. The question is how high? I say go all out and get you a highly talented slot for at least the next half a decade.

If JD thinks McConkey is the guy then absolutely!  The 2 key things to get out of this draft were OT and WR.  While I'd love to have additional picks, the main priority has to be a quality WR. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeboah’s contract won’t stop the Jets from cutting him, but his abilities on specials might. 

Yes, that was what i was thinking, Brent Boyer is the best coach on the team and if he wants Yeboah he sure must have him

are you guys willing to trade our 3rd and three 4's to get to the bottom 3rd of the 2nd?  That's what it will cost according to the value chart which was pretty accurate with the Vikings trade.  The better option might be to trade next year's picks to get a WR to contribute this year but that might shorten the list of teams willing to do so.  With our needs, it might be better to stay put and let the chips fall.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sell it all for McConkey

I am in.  Go get McConkey.

No way on Zeke.  We have a stud young rb in Izzy who would run circles around Zeke at this point in his career.

Weird how Jet fans dont realize how talented Izzy is.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I am in.  Go get McConkey.

No way on Zeke.  We have a stud young rb in Izzy who would run circles around Zeke at this point in his career.

Weird how Jet fans dont realize how talented Izzy is.

Izzy is sh*t in pass pro and that’s the biggest reason he barely saw the field last year.

I’m not risking Rodgers getting obliterated because our young, inexperienced RB gets steamrolled.

Bringing in Zeke doesn’t prevent Izzy’s role from increasing in Year 2.

• Upvote 3

All those 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round picks aint doing squat to move up to mid round 2. JD will have to give up #72 and a 3rd next year and a 4th (129) this year to get into round 2. Take Corely then thereafter go get Pratt.  Pratt in early round 4 with the other 4th.  We dont need another TE or safety. Davis was resigned. We are set there.  We'd still have 134, 157 and 256 to pick up OL depth and another sleeper WR like Ryan Flourney. 

Corely round 3 - #72, next year's 3rd, and this years 4th #129

Round 4 #111 QB Pratt  

At 134, 157, 256 you look to find depth on the OL and grab another WR.  

Guard  Robinson,  Guard Zinter, Tackle Greenfiled, WR Cowing, WR Mcaffrey, Tackle Christian Jones,Tackle Javon Foster,  WR Flourney 

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Izzy is sh*t in pass pro and that’s the biggest reason he barely saw the field last year.

I’m not risking Rodgers getting obliterated because our young, inexperienced RB gets steamrolled.

Bringing in Zeke doesn’t prevent Izzy’s role from increasing in Year 2.

Hes had a whole year and now gets a whole training camp top work on this.

You make it sound like figuring out pass protection is brain surgery.

He is a stud and is ready to run and pass block this year.

Its Izzy time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Why is TE a "primary" need?  The only one left worth a sht in this years class is Sanders and he'll go a lot earlier than when the Jets should pick TE.   WR, RB, DL, S/LB is my order of priority.  Want a TE to share time with Conklin and hopefully Ruckert?  Pick him in rd 7.