Fashunu: Why do I keep hearing he is a reserve

Hey boys.  Thought it was a good night for the team.  Got a prototypical left tackle with high IQ and great character. Zero sacks allowed against Big 10 competition.  Really get a Brick vibe from him.

Sorry to start another thread on this pick but I am just flabbergasted how many times I have heard and read and seen commentary that he will be a backup this year.  Assuming our 2 starting tackles hold up (which is far from a safe assumption) then won't he move to a starter at left guard or am I missing something here?  Put him at left guard and we are looking at Smith and Moses at tackle with Fashanu as swing. Tippman moves back to center, AVT if healthy is back at right guard, and Simpson rotating in as a swing guard.  Carter and Schweitzer and Mitchell as backups.  I mean this is a huge improvement over previous years IMO.  I can't remember the last year a Jets QB wasn't either running for his life or injured.  Give Aaron Rodgers time and he will work well with even marginal receivers.  Give him receivers and no time and he won't be working with anyone for long.   Now lets package some picks to move up and grab Roman Wilson and it will have been a great draft!  

• Upvote 3

Rather than back  up maybe more brought along slowly? He has a hell of a left tackle in front of him to learn from. But no way kid doesn’t take over by 4-5 games. Pretty sure by mid season the old dude will be the back up  and likely ok without. Good problem to have, 

• Upvote 3

Makes sense to me. Rodgers even mentioned it as an option.

He’ll play next to and learn from Tyron Smith. Then kick out to LT next year. Have him focus on learning the responsibilities of the left side of the line this year.

Warren can be the backup RT.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

I don’t think Fashanu has the build to project to guard like some of the other tackles they were looking at. Just let him put on good weight, soak things in from Tyron Smith, and contribute when called upon - which will happen.

I’d be ok if the Jets never play another top rated  O lineman out of position. Free AVT! 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t think Fashanu has the build to project to guard like some of the other tackles they were looking at. Just let him put on good weight, soak things in from Tyron Smith, and contribute when called upon - which will happen.

I agree he's not a natural fit at guard but if it's possible it'd be great to get him on the field. 

I agree with Brick comps, very similar profile but Ulu's body has already matured, Brick came in skinny and took him a couple years to bulk up.  

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Makes sense to me. Rodgers even mentioned it as an option.

He’ll play next to and learn from Tyron Smith. Then kick out to LT next year. Have him focus on learning the responsibilities of the left side of the line this year.

Warren can be the backup RT.

I wish AR8 would just shut the f up!

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I agree he's not a natural fit at guard but if it's possible it'd be great to get him on the field. 

I agree with Brick comps, very similar profile but Ulu's body has already matured, Brick came in skinny and took him a couple years to bulk up.  

Agreed, Olu is 6'06 & 312.

That's a good weight for his height.

Probably needs to work on his strength & conditioning, going up against starting caliber, NFL talent, so getting him into camp/signing his contract on time, should be a top priority.

You're hearing he is a backup.....because at least in 2024, he probably is one.

While he clearly has long-term value potential, his short term, 2024 value is as insurance.  

He may spot start instead of AVT till AVT is back, maybe he is so amazing in camp he beats out a veteran, who knows.

But right now, he's a backup mostly here to insure that if one of our many fragile O-line starters go down, we have a (hopefully) stud to step in and keep Rodgers alive.

We'll know more in camp, probably not before.

• Upvote 2

He's not going to beat out a future Gold Jacket at LT and they didnt draft him to play another position.   He's also young and green and needs development, so he's only going to play out of necessity.  I bet he's behind Carter Warren to start the season.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Rather than back  up maybe more brought along slowly? He has a hell of a left tackle in front of him to learn from. But no way kid doesn’t take over by 4-5 games. Pretty sure by mid season the old dude will be the back up  and likely ok without. Good problem to have, 

the old guy gets paid more the more he plays. He is going to do everything he can to keep the kid on the bench...which I am fine with by the way, there is no rush. The kid can take over in year 2 when we dont have anyone in his way. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love hearing these Brick comparisons for Olu!  If he turns out to be another Brick, it was an absolute HR of a pick!

It's really unfair to him for everyone to be making this comparison.  He's nothing like DBrick, like at all. 

DBrick was a 4 year started a Virginia.  He started in 49 games.  He was the 4th overall pick and the first tackle off the board.  He was the consensus, best OT that year.   He was a true physical freak, built like a TE in 6'6 frame.   There wasnt many holes to poke in DBrick as a prospect.

Olu has 20 collegiate starts, 2 years of experience and didnt finish his first season tearing his meniscus.  He's got small hands, doesnt reall have a punch and was ok at time and some times pretty good but never really great or dominant.  He's a true development prospect. 

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

the old guy gets paid more the more he plays. He is going to do everything he can to keep the kid on the bench...which I am fine with by the way, there is no rush. The kid can take over in year 2 when we dont have anyone in his way. 

I agree but pretty sure at this point old guys body is in a lot worse shape  than his bank account at this point. Haha Good though, make the kid work for it, 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Sorry to start another thread on this pick but I am just flabbergasted how many times I have heard and read and seen commentary that he will be a backup this year.  Assuming our 2 starting tackles hold up 

You literally labeled him as a back up in like the second sentence of your post.

And their not moving him to guard...they just signed Simpson.

He's a reserve because that's what he is this year unless, someone gets hurt.

ppl are upset about using the 10 pick for a backup. Hes not a backup. He pretty much ensured us that our O line will no longer be a problem and that is HUGE.

The dude will play this year. Maybe he starts and the old geezers stay as backups. Either way one or 2 guys are on 1 year deals so next year they are gone and he is in.

This is a great "problem" to have!

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I consider Fashanu a reserve because he's a true LT. He will be a reserve until he's not and that time will happen several games this year. Also, something that isn't being talked about is Tyron does NOT practice. He does walkthroughs and just plays on Sundays - he's elite but he's also that type of injury prone (see Terron Armstead in Miami). So not only will Fashanu play this year, he will pretty much get the vast majority of LT snaps in practice. He will be pretty well set up to take over in 2025

I didn't realize Tyron Smith doesn't practice. Great point.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

It's really unfair to him for everyone to be making this comparison.  He's nothing like DBrick, like at all. 

DBrick was a 4 year started a Virginia.  He started in 49 games.  He was the 4th overall pick and the first tackle off the board.  He was the consensus, best OT that year.   He was a true physical freak, built like a TE in 6'6 frame.   There wasnt many holes to poke in DBrick as a prospect.

Olu has 20 collegiate starts, 2 years of experience and didnt finish his first season tearing his meniscus.  He's got small hands, doesnt reall have a punch and was ok at time and some times pretty good but never really great or dominant.  He's a true development prospect. 

What’s your definition of dominant? I realize the Big 10 isn’t the SEC but dude never gave up a sack. Unless of course I’m confusing him with someone else 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No, the Jets are done at moving guys to positions they dont play.

Tippy is a center, AVT is a guard and Olu is a tackle.

Olu is depth for 1 year and a starting tackle next year.

It is a beautiful thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much.

I do really like our tackles, but lets be honest, they aren't both playing 17 games.   Olu will get valuable and needed playing time this year.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Based on what Cowboys did last season to help keep T.Smith healthy, he hardly practiced during the week. I think I read 1 day a week at the most.  So Fashanu will practice with the 1s most of game weeks.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

how many times I have heard and read and seen commentary that he will be a backup this year.   

Considering Tyron's injury history, it is a 100 % guarantee that Fashanu is a starter.  

This was a smart pick.  

I still would not mind if JD used one of the 4th rounders to pick an OT like Blake Fisher or Matt Concalves.

JD came advertised as the O-Line GM.  He had Saleh in his ear pushing for D-Line.  It is about time that JD is coming as advertized.

Tyron Smith DID NOT fix the LT problem.  His signing was part of a solution but not *THE* solution.

NOW the Jets have a LT solution. 

Add depth to that line now with another pick.  

It is THAT important. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What’s your definition of dominant? I realize the Pac 10 isn’t the SEC but dude never gave up a sack. Unless of course I’m confusing him with someone else 

I feel like this is becoming a bit of an overrated stat as every year many T's are coming into the league w/ this on their resume.  I just dont see like a physically dominant player. 

14 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Yet somehow he was a consensus top 15 pick. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes. He’s gonna get a ton of practice reps with the starters with Smith there to help with his development. It’s likely that he’ll play and potentially start games this year but, if he doesn’t, the Jets probably will have had a good season. 

Since Tyron NEVER plays a full season, we'll see Fashnu in the starting lineup sooner than latter.  

31 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Agreed, Olu is 6'06 & 312.

That's a good weight for his height.

Probably needs to work on his strength & conditioning, going up against starting caliber, NFL talent, so getting him into camp/signing his contract on time, should be a top priority.

Have we seen his ankles yet?

This was a very critical topic for lineman around here the last few years.

8 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

Yet somehow he was a consensus top 15 pick. 

That means nothing to me.  lol  The amount of "consensus" top 15 picks that should not have been drafted in the top 15 and ironically busted out of the league, is endless.