Blaine "Gilbert" could win Jaguars starting job?

Jetsfan80

This is awesome. Writer completely botches Blaine Gabbert's name throughout the article. Proofreaders, anyone?

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/18/gilbert-could-win-jaguars-qb-debate

Gilbert could win Jaguars' QB debate

By Mike Rutsey ,Toronto Sun

TORONTO - We’ve got a race going on in Jacksonville and it isn’t NASCAR related.

In the Jaguars camp there’s a debate raging along the lines of Tastes Great vs. Less Filling.

How about veteran David Garrard vs. rookie Blaine Gilbert with the No. 1 quarterback spot up for grabs.

Garrard is a 10-year vet and although he tossed a club-record 23 TD passes last season, he has had trouble winning the big games, either down the stretch in the regular season or when the team has managed to make the playoffs. The Jaguars have the look of a team that has stalled and it may take a switch to the rookie from Missouri to change the Jaguars’ mojo.

Garrard also has a bit of a wonky back and when it flared up early in camp, he missed a week giving head coach Jack Del Rio a good look at what Gilbert can do.

Del Rio, who is under the gun himself this season, was impressed by what he saw with Gilbert.

“He can run, he’s fast, he’s got a good arm,” Del Rio said of Gilbert. “He’s got a great skill set in terms of arm and size and speed, those things. We think he’s got a bright upside. He’s got a lot of work to do. He’s doing some things now off natural ability, being able to throw the ball that will only get better. He got in the first night and saw things and got rid of the ball. He’s fairly quick getting the ball out. The ball gets there on time and accurate and those are good qualities to have.”

Regardless, on Friday the Jaguars line up against Atlanta with Garrard getting the start.

Coming into camp there was never a question of who would start in their season opener Sept. 11 against Tennessee. Now the only certainty is that the Jaguars will start a quarterback whose last name begins with G.

CARSON PALMER’S CONSPIRACY THEORY

When you are on the outside looking in and are certain that you have been jacked around by your employer, it’s easy to become cynical in your thinking.

So it comes as no surprise that “retired” Cincinnati quarterback Carson Palmer has stumbled on a conspiracy theory regarding his younger brother Jordan Palmer and the same Bengals organization.

According to Dennis Janson of WCPO, Carson Palmer told a “friend” that he believes the team is “toying” with Jordan by giving him reduced reps and will eventually cut him too late to land with a new team.

All this because of the feud between Carson Palmer and the Bengals.

The truth is that Andy Dalton will open the season as the starting quarterback with Bruce Gradowski as No. 2 on the depth chart. The Bengals third-string QB will be either Jordan Palmer or Dan LeFevour.

Palmer saw limited action in the Bengals first preseason game against Detroit and of his four pass attempts he completed one with one going for an interception.

The irony is that if he makes the team on merit he will lose his job if his older brother Carson decides to show up and play.

And that’s no conspiracy.

BURRESS MAKES JETS SCARY

Plaxico Burress is back practising with the New York Jets, his left ankle sprain a thing of the past.

Naturally, everybody in Jets-land is giddy with glee and Burress is expected to make his debut Sunday night in a pre-season game against Cincinnati.

Jets coach Rex Ryan, no stranger to hyperbole, announced that with the addition of Burress, the Jets offence will be “scary.”

Ryan didn’t go on to say he meant scary in the sense that his new wide receiver may shoot a teammate in the thigh with an unlicensed gun instead of himself as he did Nov. 28 of 2008, a trick that brought him 20 months in the slammer.

Burress, in an interview with HBO’s “Real Sports” that air will Tuesday, made these revelations and retraced some of the key events that put the former Super Bowl star behind bars for 20 months.

The 6-foot-5 receiver is considered to be a big play target for quarterback Mark Sanchez, especially when the team is inside the red zone.

Although he’s been away from the game, Burress’ ego remains intact.

“I know where I’m at, what I’m capable of doing,” he told reporters. “I believe I’m still one of the best out there competing. I’m not going to lose that mind-set. My mind-set is to dominate when I’m one-on-one.”

When he finally returns to game action, he said he won’t be holding anything back.

“I don’t see why I shouldn’t be full-go,” Burress said. “My goal is to be out there, go as many reps as they let me.”

Like Ryan said — scary.

PRYOR GREEN-LIGHTED FOR DRAFT

All teams looking for a young quarterback that needs a lot of polishing can line up on Monday when the NFL holds its supplemental draft that will include controversial Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor.

The NFL appeared to have held up this year’s supplemental draft in order to solve their what-to-do-with-Pryor dilemma. The draft was originally to have been held on Wednesday but then was postponed. Pryor was not on the NFL’s initial list of players, but was included Thursday.

Pryor, a member of the Buckeyes the past three seasons, and several teammates were suspended for the first five games of this season for violating NCAA rules, particularly being involved in a memorabilia-for-cash scandal. That prompted Pryor to leave Ohio State and opt for the supplemental draft.

Pryor, though, is not home free as the NFL ruled that he must sit out the first five games after he signs.

In notifying the 32 clubs, the league said that Pryor “made decisions that undermine the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL draft.” Those decisions included the hiring of an agent which is contrary to NCAA rules.

Pryor is naturally ecstatic with the news.

“God bless and thanks for support!” Pryor wrote on his Twitter page. “Time to have a little fun!!”

Pryor will be under the microscope on Saturday in Pittsburgh where he will work out for all interested teams.

Ha! I like the headline too.

Like its a big surprise that the guy they traded up 6 spots to draft at 10 overall has a chance of beating out a mediocre QB.

Plaxico is going to be a beast. And I agree with Rex, if Sanchez can take it to the next level, this offense will be scary.

Archived