Jets News Thread For Sept 7 2011

SoFlaJets

To be fair Max, there's one thing about the Jets that's crystal clear: We don't have any ability to replace kickoff returners.

Don't be silly, how many KRs have the Jets had that have been amongst the league leaders since Westhoff took over as ST coordinator? Just Chad Morton, Jonathan Carter, Justin Miller, Leon Washington and Brad Smith. That's it!

Don't be silly, how many KRs have the Jets had that have been amongst the league leaders since Westhoff took over as ST coordinator? Just Chad Morton, Jonathan Carter, Justin Miller, Leon Washington and Brad Smith. That's it!

Yeah. This is his last year. Sure hope they can get him a Ring. He deserves it.

Yeah. This is his last year. Sure hope they can get him a Ring. He deserves it.

Definitely agree, I'm going to miss that salty old bastard. It really is impressive to see what he puts together for the team every year with whatever random bottom of the roster crap he's stuck with. Every year the Jets seemed to lose top special teams performers, be it returners or coverage players, that were supposedly going to be a disaster for the team and it never made a difference. I hope the team has been smart enough to know this was coming and let Westhoff himself start grooming his replacement on the team.

Agreed, but the thing I find most interesting about that is how they're handling that role. If you look back at Wallace Wright this team clearly has no problems giving a roster spot to a player who they consider a good enough gunner and not much else, but consider at this point they're actually holding 2 roster spots for one gunner spot, with Marquice Cole seeming to be the one most often playing the other side this preseason, meanwhile you've hardly seen McKnight step foot on the field on special teams coverage, and he was exceptional at it at the end of last year. Makes you wonder if the Jets really have plans for that extensive of an offensive role for McKnight that they want to limit his play on ST.

Interesting thought.

RB is a tough position on the Jets to judge this year. I'm not a huge fan of Greene, and he hasn't demonstrated that he can be the carry the load guy that he's supposedly gonna be this yet. LT got tired last year, and I'm sure they don't want to have him in anything remotely close to a workhorse role this year. Powell was a draft pick I was pretty excited about, but he really didn't show much of anything in the preseason. Could be that McKnight is the big insurance policy - or that they do have plans for a larger role for him in general.

Interesting thought.

RB is a tough position on the Jets to judge this year. I'm not a huge fan of Greene, and he hasn't demonstrated that he can be the carry the load guy that he's supposedly gonna be this yet. LT got tired last year, and I'm sure they don't want to have him in anything remotely close to a workhorse role this year. Powell was a draft pick I was pretty excited about, but he really didn't show much of anything in the preseason. Could be that McKnight is the big insurance policy - or that they do have plans for a larger role for him in general.

It should definitely be interesting to watch. As far as Powell goes, while it's definitely outside of the normal practice of the NFL, the Jets have shown a tendency to bring along their RBs slowly, so I'm not reading too much into it and think we won't be seeing much of him regardless until they're ready to start getting him into that late season "I'm the freshest guy on the field" role Greene has held previously. Not to mention he was getting all of his reps behind an OL that consisted of at least 4 players no longer on the team.

McKnight I think is going to be their jack of all trades. I agree he'll probably be the insurance policy, likely the first guy off the bench behind Greene, as well as LT on third downs, but I'd bet he'll even still be getting plenty of reps between HB, split out wide and even Wildcat plays. Granted I'm still not sure how huge of a role that really works out to and maybe I'm just reading too much into things, it just seems odd that the Jets have seemed to come up with some reason to pull him off ST after he was the guy at the end of the year beating even Brad Smith down the field on coverage on a fairly regular basis.

Then again, given that it was camp / preseason there's always the chance they knew what they had in McKnight and preferred to have him working on his returning during ST drills as well as focusing on his HB role while letting the bottom of the roster show what they had at the position, and maybe he'll still be out there in coverage this season. Who knows... I guess we'll see on Sunday.

That's it? Man that Westhoff guy is so overrated. We shoulda paid the $16 million for Brad Smith. Bills = Super Bowl.

Archived