Question about Schotty!

Jetme23

Seeing as he is technically signed through 2012 and all of us knowing that he is gone. If the jets dont fire him and he is offered a job for a team like Miami and takes it. Do we get compensation? I forgot how that works.

Teams cannot stop their assistants from taking promotions to a head coaching job and they would get nothing in return.

The one compensation the Jets would get, is that they would get to play a Schotty-coached team twice a year.

Seeing as he is technically signed through 2012 and all of us knowing that he is gone. If the jets dont fire him and he is offered a job for a team like Miami and takes it. Do we get compensation? I forgot how that works.

The other team asks the Jets permission to interview and/or negotiate with him. If the Jets refuse, which is unusual, then they may not talk to him or offer him squat. If they do then the Jets get compensation deemed appropriate by the NFL commissioner.

If the Jets grant permission as they have in the past, which they surely will again if he isn't already fired, then the Jets get nothing in return.

We should give the team that takes him compensation...

The other team asks the Jets permission to interview and/or negotiate with him. If the Jets refuse, which is unusual, then they may not talk to him or offer him squat. If they do then the Jets get compensation deemed appropriate by the NFL commissioner.

If the Jets grant permission as they have in the past, which they surely will again if he isn't already fired, then the Jets get nothing in return.

I thought in the case of a promotion to HC though, they couldn't refuse permission? I thought those circumstances only held true for interviewing coaches for assistant / coordinator positions.

I thought in the case of a promotion to HC though, they couldn't refuse permission? I thought those circumstances only held true for interviewing coaches for assistant / coordinator positions.

A team can always refuse permission. He is under contract with the Jets so he can't interview with other teams without permission from the Jets. That's what the team gets for offering him a fully guaranteed contract. It doesn't matter what his current position is now or what position he's interviewing for and how much of a promotion that equates to.

It's pretty much always granted because a team would have trouble attracting other coaches if the ability to move upward with someone else is denied. But officially the Jets must grant permission otherwise it's tampering.

The jets can't stop him from being a head coach and won't get compensation for it under any circumstances

The jets can't stop him from being a head coach and won't get compensation for it under any circumstances

A team always has to ask permission from the Jets. If the Jets deny permission and he signs with someone else I'm sure they would be entitled to compensation.

The Jets have granted permission to let both the Dolphins and Bills talk to Schottenheimer in the past. If they couldn't stop him, then there was no need for them to grant permission as it would have been as unnecessary as the Jets granting you permission to comb your hair differently tomorrow.

Archived