Andre Maddox

Smizzy

Where does he fit in next yr?

Special teams mostly, I'd imagine. I could see him getting some playing time at SS on running downs - he likes to hit, from what I remember of him at NC State. I don't think he's athletic/talented enough to replace Coleman, Celestine, or Rhodes as a full time guy.

List of the DB "talent" acquired by this regime-

Damien Robinson

Aaron Beasley

Donnie Abraham

Sam Garnes

Mike Pagel

Terrell Buckley

John Mcgraw

Kerry Rhodes

Oliver Celestin

TY Law

Derrick Coleman

Andre Maddox

Justin Miller

Henderson(the guy who's career ended in the motocylce accident)

(ps-I think I missed a few!)

OL guys-

Dave Szott

Pete Kendall

Adrian Jones

Jon Goodwin

Marco Cvaka

Dave Yovonitz

(might have missed 1 or 2)

Conclusion-both units now suck. But the DBs have been a priority and this regime has spent a huge chunk of assets in cap room and draft choices on one unit while pretty much ignoring the other. 2 ways to fail in one front office.

He fits right next to Derek Pagel in the anal of Terry Bradway draft gems.

"After being in the league for a few years, you see guys you think can still play or can still help a team out just kind of get phased out and don't get another shot," Tennessee DE Kyle Vanden Bosch said.

Could not have said it better myself, as a fan =D>

It's all about timing, chances and opportunity for the vast majority of players in the NFL.....Talent only really matters for the "elites".

Point?

5th round picks, who never had a college a interception and were seen as cheap special teams options in the NFL anyway, don't get a lot of slack when they come back with badly damaged knees.

He's in for a very tough time, unless he totally impresses coaches....If Bradway is sent packing, it's twice as hard.

He's in for a very tough time, unless he totally impresses coaches....If Bradway is sent packing, it's twice as hard.

True. Bradway ahs kept numerous pieces of dead wood around mostly because he drafted them. Another GM wouldn't give it a second thought.

Bradway is the only person on the planet that has an investment in him (albeit a modest one -- 5th round).....

New GM comes, who cares about cutting the old GM's bad picks?

I think the NFL is the most cruel of the pro sports leagues. Denny Green just basically could've pushed the Cards and to resign a player like Vanden Bosch (who was once seen as a rising star, before injuries) and relegated him to the bench again.

It would be his last season and we'd all say he absolutely couldn't PLAY in the NFL, after Green cut him a few months ago!

He gets his shot with Tennessee and might lead the league in sacks.

Point again? Will Maddox even get a fair shot, everything considered?

R44 - Very true, it is mostly about luck and the coaching you wind up with.

RS, watching Classic Sports in 2004, I saw highlights of a Giants game in the early 1970's.

Announcer says something like this: Giants rookie receiver Dick Kottite (yes he said Dick) scores another touchdown. The undrafted rookie again proves he belongs.

Does anybody really believe Wayne Chrebet, for example, would've ever made the NFL if he signed with a team like Pittsburgh with Bill Cowher at the helm or Minnesota with Denny Green?

He clearly caught a break, everyone knows this, because Kottite had a "soft spot" for him, as an undrafted Jersey kid.

Weird thing is, if Wayne did try out for Pitt or Minny in 1995 and was cut (which is 99% likely), he'd be running around Garfield telling his friends he was "screwed" and belonged in the NFL.... :cry:

His friends would then fall down laughing uncontrolably, thinking Wayne lost his mind believing he could actually play in the NFL =D>

Edits for typical R44 typos, due to typing too fast :oops:

RS, watching Classic Sports in 2004, I saw highlights of a Giants game in the early 1970's.

Announcer says something like this: Giants rookie receiver d!ck Kottite (yes he said d!ck) scores another touchdown. The undrafted rookie again proves he belongs.

Does anybody really believe Wayne Chrebet, for example, would've ever made the NFL if he signed with a team like Pittsburgh with Bill Cowher at the helm or Minnesota with Denny Green?

He clearly caught a break, everyone knows this, because Kottite had a "soft spot" for him, as an undrafted Jersey kid.

Weird thing is, if Wayne did try out for Pitt or Minny in 1995 and was cut (which is 99% likely), he'd be running Garfield telling his friends he was "screwed" and belonged in the NFL.... :oops:

His friends when then fall down laughing uncontrolably, thinking Wayne lost his mind believing he could play actually in the NFL =D>

You are 100% correct.

Announcer says something like this: Giants rookie receiver d!ck Kottite (yes he said d!ck) scores another touchdown. The undrafted rookie again proves he belongs.

Weird thing is, if Wayne did try out for Pitt or Minny in 1995 and was cut (which is 99% likely), he'd be running around Garfield telling his friends he was "screwed" and belonged in the NFL.... :cry:

His friends would then fall down laughing uncontrolably, thinking Wayne lost his mind believing he could actually play in the NFL =D>

Edits for typical R44 typos, due to typing too fast :oops:

And of course Wayne had another thing on his side...the starting WRs going in to camp that season were Stevie Anderson and Ryan Yarborough :shock:

And of course Wayne had another thing on his side...the starting WRs going in to camp that season were Stevie Anderson and Ryan Yarborough

Great points AFJ, simply can't disagree.....Actually, I already agreed with that when I said above "It's all about timing, chances and opportunity for the vast majority of players in the NFL.....Talent only really matters for the 'elites'...."

Wayne walked into an ideal spot for a longshot -- sypathetic coach, area connection, need at WR.

Maxman, I understand your point about Rikers, but I'm sure few of those prisoners broke Jerry Rice's D1-AA records like Wayne did....Yet Wayne was still not even offered a free agent look by 27 or so other NFL teams at the time....not even a tryout.

My theory has always been the first 25 to 35 players on all rosters are just solid -- they definitely have to be there......Beyond that, particularly the bottom part of rosters (special teamers), it's all about getting the chance, someone liking you and how little money you make.

My theory has always been the first 25 to 35 players on all rosters are just solid -- they definitely have to be there......Beyond that, particularly the bottom part of rosters (special teamers), it's all about getting the chance, someone liking you and how little money you make.

That is a good point. The bottom 5 - 10 guys are interchangeable many times without missing a beat.

If you have a good camp, bust your balls on Special Teams and seem willing to learn...someone might just take a shot on you.

Archived