Rebuild: Year One

neckdemon

obvious that this is going to be a rebuild that stretches over 2-3 years. first reaction to last night was, "great our offense is ignored again". i know we got sniped by the rams for austin and i think we obviously tried to trade down and it just wasn't there. so we took the bpa on our board (if you believe idzik) and they just happened to be defense. we'll see what we do the rest of the draft....but reality is that idzik inherited a team thin on young talent, with salary cap issues and many holes. we will see if our scouting was any good, but if these 2 players become pro-bowl quality then we did well. we weren't doing much this season in any case.....next offseason we will be in much better shape cap wise and hopefully ou rtalent deficiency will be much narrower allowing us to use free agency and the draft to fill in where needed. if idzik does this right....by 2015 we shoudl be competing annually. of course this all assumes we find a real qb at some point

Im fine with rebuilding, as long as it is done the right way.

At some point this team is going to need to find difference makers on the offensive side of the ball.

That means QB and receiving threats.

I don't think the QB is even remotely worth addressing this year, at least until round 4, but we desperately need some talent who can make plays.

The rules have turned this into a playmakers league, we have zero playmakers, hence zero offense.

Eifert would have been a big step in the right direction, and I don't think Ertz is as close as some make him out to be.

Eifert is a mismatch nightmare, and he has great hands.

This franchise needs to get its head out of its ass and understand the modern NFL, and stop trying to recreate the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears.

It just cannot happen in this NFL.

Im fine with rebuilding, as long as it is done the right way.

At some point this team is going to need to find difference makers on the offensive side of the ball.

That means QB and receiving threats.

I don't think the QB is even remotely worth addressing this year, at least until round 4, but we desperately need some talent who can make plays.

The rules have turned this into a playmakers league, we have zero playmakers, hence zero offense.

Eifert would have been a big step in the right direction, and I don't think Ertz is as close as some make him out to be.

Eifert is a mismatch nightmare, and he has great hands.

This franchise needs to get its head out of its ass and understand the modern NFL, and stop trying to recreate the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears.

It just cannot happen in this NFL.

i agree but with much of the offensive talent still there i am holding out hope that we land a playmaker today

The bottom line is Idzik essentially said "I know that no matter what we do, the Jets aren't going to be contenders this year, so I'm taking whoever it is I think is the BPA regardless of position and I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about it".

Certainly not what I would have considered ideal, but clearly the top of the draft went about as badly for the Jets as they could have wanted while they couldn't find any viable trade partners.  I may not love it, but I'll certainly live with it.  Much happier with this than if they had taken a freakin' guard, that's for sure.

Archived