Clowney Ran 4.46?

Lizard King

I understand where you're coming from, however, this years class did not have any of those positions ranked at #9 or #13. Next year may be different. The closest was Eifert at #13, but that would have been a reach. We got the best CB, Top 2 DL and top rated QB(in October/Nov)  in the first 2 rds. I think the drafting of Aboushi was a place we could have filled a need in the 5th. There were some Safeties a WR and maybe even a TE at that point. That being said, they got Bush and Allen last year and maybe they feel these 2 can be the answer in year 2. Winslow might have been on their minds during the draft knowing they could bring in a starter for minimum salary. I think they feel Kerley and Hill will have a better year 2 performance than a rookie WR. Holmes gives us a #1A type of receiver. We are going to run the rock this year with the occasional bomb when they load the box.

Am really going to enjoy watching our young guys get playing time this year. Hill, Davis, Richardson and Milliner especially.... Strap 'em up!!

We're in agreement with this year's draft class.  I think they had no choice but go BAP since they had so many holes and depth issues.  I was surprised that they didn't address TE, WR or S in the draft, but loved what they did with the OL and loved the kids they picked.  I agree that Eifert would have been a bit of a reach and luxury at #13.  You could be right about, Allen, Bush and Winslow.

I'm not as high on Holmes as you are, but with his supposedly changed attitude (although I think that has more to do with not having a contract for next year and his injury as anything), who knows?

BAP should always be their guiding principle, but imo not one to be adhered to blindly.  IMO there are several ways that they can avoid reaching in drafts, and still go with the BAP principles.  One is that if two players are roughly equal (very close) in ranking and one of them plays a position of need and the other doesn't, they can take the one who plays the position of need.  I think certain important positions should get more weighting. Positions like QB, LT, OLB, NT and WR (and with the NFL being a passing league now, perhaps even FS) are more important than other positions. Thus if an OLB and an OG are rated even or about even, you go with the OLB unless you have a crying need at OG and topflight players at both OLB positions and excellent depth.  Two is by trading down.  In trading down they can garner an additional pick or picks and either take the BAP at that point or take a player at a position of need who is an excellent value at that spot (if he has dropped for some reason) or if it's a situation like number one, where by virtue of the position he plays and his own abilities he's rated more highly than players at other positions who are available at that spot.

We're in agreement with this year's draft class.  I think they had no choice but go BAP since they had so many holes and depth issues.  I was surprised that they didn't address TE, WR or S in the draft, but loved what they did with the OL and loved the kids they picked.  I agree that Eifert would have been a bit of a reach and luxury at #13.  You could be right about, Allen, Bush and Winslow.

I'm not as high on Holmes as you are, but with his supposedly changed attitude (although I think that has more to do with not having a contract for next year and his injury as anything), who knows?

BAP should always be their guiding principle, but imo not one to be adhered to blindly.  IMO there are several ways that they can avoid reaching in drafts, and still go with the BAP principles.  One is that if two players are roughly equal (very close) in ranking and one of them plays a position of need and the other doesn't, they can take the one who plays the position of need.  I think certain important positions should get more weighting. Positions like QB, LT, OLB, NT and WR (and with the NFL being a passing league now, perhaps even FS) are more important than other positions. Thus if an OLB and an OG are rated even or about even, you go with the OLB unless you have a crying need at OG and topflight players at both OLB positions and excellent depth.  Two is by trading down.  In trading down they can garner an additional pick or picks and either take the BAP at that point or take a player at a position of need who is an excellent value at that spot (if he has dropped for some reason) or if it's a situation like number one, where by virtue of the position he plays and his own abilities he's rated more highly than players at other positions who are available at that spot.

We are in agreement, especially your point on weighted positions. The one thing I wish we could also get a better feel for is trading down in drafts like this last one(better values in the 3rd through 5th rounds). I'll be damned if the Rams and Minnesota did not absolutely CRUSH IT!! with their trade downs. Even after Rams stael Austin from us, they go and recoup their lost picks by trading down. I hope Idzik can learn the "Art of the Deal"

Holmes is a borderline #1 when absolutely healthy. Don't know what he'll be this year

Not to be a contrarian, but didn't the 2009 and 2010 Jets have crazy health?

I think you're right.  Aside from Kris Jenkins, I don't think they had any major injuries, and don't think any of the OL suffered any major injuries or missed time at all until Damien Woody was hurt at the end of the season (or was that at the end of 2011?).

Not to be a contrarian, but didn't the 2009 and 2010 Jets have crazy health?

Relevance to the point being made?

I think the point is that Sal Alosi was an incredible strength coach...literally willing to go out on a limb for his players. 

I think the point is that Sal Alosi was an incredible strength coach...literally willing to go out on a limb for his players. 

Yeah, you might say that he cared so much and was so involved that he wasn't content to just stand idly by on the sidelines.  ;-)

Yeah, you might say that he cared so much and was so involved that he wasn't content to just stand idly by on the sidelines.   ;-)

Haha.  If he was willing to "stick it out there" in front of 70,000 peeps, on live television, supported by an 10-man camera crew equipped with playback and slow/mo.   Can you imagine what he was like in the privacy of a weight room?  There's a reason our players played well in 2010.

It was Sal. 

Archived