Special Teams questions.

eboozer

I just read TB picked up Lawrence Tynes. I had that guy last year on one of my fantasy teams.... guy was in the top 10. He has kicked and been clutch in SB. Is it me, or would he have been a good guy to bring in over Folk? Folks been OK but Tynes in my opinion.

Next question is Kerley. Had an NFL record of fair catches.... do any of you know if we have anyone else on the current roster with balls? I think our kickoff and punt defense will be much improved this year, not sure about our punt receiving squad. We will miss Westhoff

1.  Tynes has been a consistent FF producer for the last three years now, scoring more than 100 points per year with the exception of one...and his New York connection def wouldn't hurt kicking in the Meadowlands.  Giants parted ways with him because they could get Josh Brown for cheaper.   I guess that's what happens when you kick 2 NFC championship game winners...you hold out for money, and hope to get it. Tynes was a pro-bowl alternate last year, but not worth the money for cap-strapped G-men. The fact that it took a Connor Barth injury to sign with a team, just goes to show how his value matched up with teams' needs this off-season.

2.  Nick Folk, albeit unspectacular, wasn't an area I thought we needed to upgrade.  He handles KOs and FGs, and was signed to a one-year deal on the super cheap. Good retaining if you ask me...especially for a team that had so many needs going into free agency. 

3.  Kerley fair-catching so much might have been a function of WR depth last year, cause IIRC, that was his "thing" at TCU.  That being said, I preferred watching him fair catch punts over watching Cromartie "handle" kickoffs...at some point the risk vs. gain just doesn't make sense. Especially not in a season where we lost Revis and Holmes before week-5.  Why tempt the football Gods?

But I suppose there has to be some newbie that has Jim Leonard-sized balls, that can make a name for himself through specials.  Zach Rogers comes to mind. 

Perfect. Forgot about him. The kid Rontez Miles has some punt return experience. I like this UDFA hope he turns head. Passed up playing at bigger programs to stick with his step brother, who then got kicked off of the team for drugs. I like guys like that.

Archived