Not that first preseason game actually matters, but how did...

SenorGato

the future Super Unit DL of the Future play?

Did Coples do something linebackery? Wilkerson maybe hint that there's a good pass rushing DT season or four in him? How about Richardson? Did Ellis even play? If yes, did he look like an athletic potential nose? 

If the D is going to be best of all time for the first time in 2015 then you know...these guys need to start gelling and getting an act together. 

the future Super Unit DL of the Future play?

Did Coples do something linebackery? Wilkerson maybe hint that there's a good pass rushing DT season or four in him? How about Richardson? Did Ellis even play? If yes, did he look like an athletic potential nose? 

If the D is going to be best of all time for the first time in 2015 then you know...these guys need to start gelling and getting an act together. 

Coples- he's basically playing defensive end IMO.  He's just doing it from a stand up position.  I doubt he drops in to coverage more than 4 or 5 times a game.  He looked ok. 

Wilkerson- yes.

Richardson- I noticed the motor.  Other than that he didn't stand out too much one way or the other. 

Ellis- played.  Looked better than what I gathered from Shane's account of the scrimmage. 

Overall impression- definitely more active than the lines of years past.  Maybe not as savvy and fundamentally sound and all the other buzzwords but they sure do run around more.  I'm thinking that they'll start out slow, with Wilkerson carrying them, and as the season progresses the unit will start to improve.

First off, I see what you did there with the thread title.  Very suspensefull....... Gato.  hehe

~Coples played a helluva a lot of DT for an OLB.  He was around the ball on most plays, and should be fine this season.  My gripe with him is the roughing the passer crap.  On one play, Shaun Hill was on his stomach, the whistle blew, and Coples still jumps on him.  No flag was thrown, but why tempt the penalty Gods?

~I saw Richardson late in the game playing with the 3's, and expected to see some total domination.  I didn't. 

~Ellis and Richardson were the corners of a triangle sack, awarded to Mo. If Wilk didn't get it, one of the others would have.  When they were the front three, the line was very active. 

~Big Mo looks bigger, maybe slower, but is manhandling his competition.  

~Barnes needs to time the snap better.  Early in the game he was called off-sides. I saw him jump the gun a couple times after that, and then hop back to beat the snap, but that is destroying his momentum.  Other times he's just a click too late to engage his man.  But hey, it's preseason...working the bugs out. 

Archived