Cimini: Sunday's Practice Report & Updates

BroadwayJoe12

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Despite a noticeable limp, rookie Geno Smith took the majority of the practice reps Sunday, per the Jets' quarterback rotation. Smith was exceptionally sharp -- except for one bad play. 

Smith misread a play in the red zone, throwing into the middle of the end zone for WR Ryan Spadola. He didn't see CB Antonio Cromartie, who made the interception. Only a few days ago, Rex Ryan emphasized the importance of avoiding turnovers in the red zone. 

That was Smith's only hiccup. Working with the first unit, he completed seven of 10 passes (one drop), with four touchdowns. Two TDs came on 25-yard strikes to TE Jeff Cumberland, who beat OLB Calvin Pace both times. The other two came in a goal-line drill, both rollouts in which Smith found TE Konrad Reuland in the back corner of the end zone. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg kept calling rollouts despite Smith's mildly sprained right ankle. Afterward, Smith admitted he was less than 100 percent. 

SANCHEZ vs. SMITH: WHO'S WINNING?

Sunday's advantage: Smith
Mark Sanchez's day: Working with the backups, he was 3-for-9 with one TD and one sack. No turnovers. Victimized by a drop.
Geno Smith's day: Despite a gimpy ankle, he showed arm strength and accuracy inside the 30, throwing four TDs. Was 7-for-10 with one sack and one bad interception.
Quote: "I pride myself on being out there at all times, and one little ankle injury wasn't going to stop me from practicing with my teammates." -- Smith

Smith was sacked one time, by NT Kenrick Ellis. He received an earful from Mornhinweg, who wanted Smith to get rid of the ball. That has been an ongoing issue with Smith. 

It wasn't a particularly good day for Sanchez, who went 3-for-9 (one drop), with one TD and one sack. In the goal-line drill, he hit TE Chris Pantale for three yards on a rollout. On a similar play, he missed an open TE Hayden Smith in the back of the end zone. 

TOUGH DAY FOR BRAY: WR Braylon Edwards dropped a pass and, earlier, incurred the wrath of Mornhinweg for not finishing two plays in a one-on-one drill. On the second one, Edwards responded, telling Mornhinweg he stopped because a flag was thrown. Mornhinweg didn't care. Essentially, he told Edwards this wasn't a Pro Bowl practice and that he needed to hustle for the duration of the play. Edwards declined an interview request after practice. 

ATTENDANCE REPORT: RB Chris Ivory (hamstring) took part in positional drills, but stayed out of team drills. He has yet to practice fully. ... RB Joe McKnight, who missed a few days with a head injury, returned on a limited basis. He wore the red jersey (non-contact), as did FB Lex Hilliard (ribs). ... OLB Garrett McIntyre, who hurt his knee in the game, practiced. ... LB Josh Mauga (back), WR Titus Ryan (hamstring) and C Dalton Freeman (ankle) didn't practice. ... TE Kellen Winslow rested. 

ODDS AND ENDS: As expected, S Jaiquawn Jarrett moved up to first-team defense. ... WR Stephen Hill, continuing his strong camp, made a 50-yard reception in 7-on-7. Nice throw from Smith. ... QB Matt Simms threw a long TD pass to Hayden Smith. Later, in 7-on-7, Simms was intercepted by CB Mike Edwards. ... Rex Ryan, who was criticized for not watching the offense during the preseason opener, spent the first portion of practice on the offensive side of the field.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Chris Ivory is getting closer. No, really, he is. That's what he says, anyway. 

The veteran running back, who still hasn't practiced because of a pulled hamstring, said Sunday he expects to play for the New York Jets next Saturday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Ivory, in pads on Sunday, increased his workload slightly, participating in positional drills. The next step is getting some work in live team drills. 

Ivory, acquired in a trade with the Saints, said he has gone two days without tightness in his hamstring. But he's proceeding with caution. 

"I'm getting better," he said. "I'm just going along with the plan." 

The injury-plagued backfield could be a lot healthier by the end of the week. Joe McKnight (head) returned on a limited basis, as did FB Lex Hilliard (ribs). 

"You kind of have a MASH unit over there right now, but you hope to get them back and certainly we hope to get those guys back sooner than later," coach Rex Ryan said. 

JOHN B GONE: Tough business, the NFL. Two days after suffering a season-ending broken leg, RB John Griffin was waived with an injury. Chances are, the Jets will add him to their injured-reserve list when he clears waivers. Griffin was hurt on a horse-collar tackle in the preseason opener. 

To replace him, they re-signed RB Kahlil Bell, who played with the team last season. They also signed former Oregon WR Rahsaan Vaughn. 

NEW-LOOK QB: Mark Sanchez, channeling some Joe Namath, is sporting a fu manchu. 

PENALTY PALS: Ryan said the "highest priority" this week is fixing the penalty problem, as the Jets were penalized 11 times against the Lions. They had four holding calls on offense, prompting an emphasis on blocking technique in Sunday's practice. OL coach Mike Devlin stressed proper hand placement. 

Focus.

Normally I wouldn't care how someone styles their facial-hair, but this type of care-free, laid-back move just epitomizes sanchez's attitude and is such a stark contrast from smith.  Smith is all business, from his practices to the interviews, the kid is just all football.  From these reports it seems as though he's getting sharper and if he can carry that through the next two preseason games, it's going to be very difficult to keep him off the field.  I have no delusions of grandeur of making a SB run this year, but just want to see development from our future core guys and be competitive in games, because if you're sitting around .500 come winter, anything can happen.  

Normally I wouldn't care how someone styles their facial-hair, but this type of care-free, laid-back move just epitomizes sanchez's attitude and is such a stark contrast from smith.  

huh ?  it takes less time to trim a fu manchu than to shave your whole face like that selfish smith guy.  sanchez is saving time for film study cuz he's that dedicated.

Archived