" John Thornton a mentor to Jets QB Geno Smith " ~ ~ ~

kelly

John Thornton a mentor to Jets QB Geno Smith

Smith say former Bengals has taught him to always be a professional

Geno Smith's journey to the New York Jets' starting quarterback job hasn't been the smoothest, but one of the few constants has been here in Cincinnati.

Smith entered the draft as the top quarterback available before a report was leaked prior to NFL draft disparaging his work ethic. He saw his stock drop from a potential first-overall pick to a second-rounder.

He fired his agents, a development that got more attention when he then hired Jay-Z's fledgling Roc Nation agency all before he became the Jets' starting quarterback. And through all that, he had former Bengal John Thornton in his corner.

Thornton, who retired after the 2008 season, has served as an advisor, alongside former Bengal Charles Fisher. The two own JockBiz Sports, a company they founded to help advise athletes. It has evolved into an agency, as Thornton was certified as an agent last month.

"He's been a great mentor. I think he handled his career extremely well, he was always a professional and everyone always has nice things to say about him," Smith said of Thornton last week. "That's something he's carried on and passed on to me, always being a professional and always being that guy that everyone wants to revolve around in the locker room."

Like Smith, Thornton and Fisher also went to West Virginia. Thornton first met Smith when he was a freshman in Morgantown. He also knew of Smith because the quarterback played for his former teammate Damon Cogdell in South Florida.

"We look out for guys we know. When he came out, he wanted us to work with his agents at the time and then after the draft he made a change and he found some new ones and it's been all good," Thornton said.

The Jets are 4-3 with Smith starting each game, but since winning the season-opener against the Buccaneers they have alternated wins and losses -- including last week's overtime victory against the Patriots.

Smith's performances have followed a similar patter -- up one week, down the next. In the four wins, he's completed 61 percent of his passes for an average of 255 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions. In the three losses, he's completed 55.3 percent of his passes for 235 yards, one touchdown and seven interceptions.

"Every single week for me has been different. Every single week has been an opportunity for me to go out there and expose myself, but it's also slowed down for me," Smith said. "I've been getting better every single week. I've been practicing hard every single day. I think it's just a mindset, it's something I'd like to carry throughout my career - the mindset that you get better every single day and everything else will take care of itself."

The Jets like what they see in Smith, who is just the latest of many would-be franchise Jets quarterbacks.

"He's got an unusual amount of poise for a young guy," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "He doesn't get rattled. He threw a pick-six last week and came back and settled down. He's got that mentality. To be a good quarterback or cornerback you have to have a short memory. That's a trait he possesses."

Another trait he possess is a big right arm.

Bengals coach Mike Zimmer started this week off by showing his team film of a throw Smith made that started at one hashmark and went 40 yards on a rope to the opposite sideline.

"He's got an excellent arm, he's making good decisions with the football," Zimmer said. "He's got some running ability, he's starting to scramble more than he was earlier in the year. He's a strong runner. You know he's got good speed, but he's a strong runner. All those things become issues. But he's got a cannon."

That throw made an impression on the Bengals defenders, although it wasn't a surprise to Adam Jones, another former Mountaineer.

"I know a little about Geno Smith. I watched him while he was at West Virginia," Jones said. "He can throw the ball pretty much anywhere on the field. He loves to hold the ball a little bit so hopefully we can get him to pat the ball and let the guys up front get to him."

One of those trying to get Smith will be another of Thornton's clients, Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson. That will obviously create a bit of a conundrum for Thornton.

"I think he'll probably be rooting for the Bengals and he'll want to see me do well, as well," Smith said. "I know that he wants both of his clients to do well, and I don't know who he's going to root for."

> http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...nclick_check=1

John Thornton a mentor to Jets QB Geno Smith

Smith say former Bengals has taught him to always be a professional

Geno Smith's journey to the New York Jets' starting quarterback job hasn't been the smoothest, but one of the few constants has been here in Cincinnati.

Smith entered the draft as the top quarterback available before a report was leaked prior to NFL draft disparaging his work ethic. He saw his stock drop from a potential first-overall pick to a second-rounder.

He fired his agents, a development that got more attention when he then hired Jay-Z's fledgling Roc Nation agency all before he became the Jets' starting quarterback. And through all that, he had former Bengal John Thornton in his corner.

Thornton, who retired after the 2008 season, has served as an advisor, alongside former Bengal Charles Fisher. The two own JockBiz Sports, a company they founded to help advise athletes. It has evolved into an agency, as Thornton was certified as an agent last month.

"He's been a great mentor. I think he handled his career extremely well, he was always a professional and everyone always has nice things to say about him," Smith said of Thornton last week. "That's something he's carried on and passed on to me, always being a professional and always being that guy that everyone wants to revolve around in the locker room."

Like Smith, Thornton and Fisher also went to West Virginia. Thornton first met Smith when he was a freshman in Morgantown. He also knew of Smith because the quarterback played for his former teammate Damon Cogdell in South Florida.

"We look out for guys we know. When he came out, he wanted us to work with his agents at the time and then after the draft he made a change and he found some new ones and it's been all good," Thornton said.

The Jets are 4-3 with Smith starting each game, but since winning the season-opener against the Buccaneers they have alternated wins and losses -- including last week's overtime victory against the Patriots.

Smith's performances have followed a similar patter -- up one week, down the next. In the four wins, he's completed 61 percent of his passes for an average of 255 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions. In the three losses, he's completed 55.3 percent of his passes for 235 yards, one touchdown and seven interceptions.

"Every single week for me has been different. Every single week has been an opportunity for me to go out there and expose myself, but it's also slowed down for me," Smith said. "I've been getting better every single week. I've been practicing hard every single day. I think it's just a mindset, it's something I'd like to carry throughout my career - the mindset that you get better every single day and everything else will take care of itself."

The Jets like what they see in Smith, who is just the latest of many would-be franchise Jets quarterbacks.

"He's got an unusual amount of poise for a young guy," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "He doesn't get rattled. He threw a pick-six last week and came back and settled down. He's got that mentality. To be a good quarterback or cornerback you have to have a short memory. That's a trait he possesses."

Another trait he possess is a big right arm.

Bengals coach Mike Zimmer started this week off by showing his team film of a throw Smith made that started at one hashmark and went 40 yards on a rope to the opposite sideline.

"He's got an excellent arm, he's making good decisions with the football," Zimmer said. "He's got some running ability, he's starting to scramble more than he was earlier in the year. He's a strong runner. You know he's got good speed, but he's a strong runner. All those things become issues. But he's got a cannon."

That throw made an impression on the Bengals defenders, although it wasn't a surprise to Adam Jones, another former Mountaineer.

"I know a little about Geno Smith. I watched him while he was at West Virginia," Jones said. "He can throw the ball pretty much anywhere on the field. He loves to hold the ball a little bit so hopefully we can get him to pat the ball and let the guys up front get to him."

One of those trying to get Smith will be another of Thornton's clients, Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson. That will obviously create a bit of a conundrum for Thornton.

"I think he'll probably be rooting for the Bengals and he'll want to see me do well, as well," Smith said. "I know that he wants both of his clients to do well, and I don't know who he's going to root for."

> http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...nclick_check=1

the kid does handle himself well  a lot better then sanchez on the field

• 2 weeks later...
 -- Coach Rex Ryan won't commit to quarterback Geno Smith beyond one week. 

Quarterbacks coach David Lee, however, sees a future with the New York Jets for the rookie. 

"I've had long enough to feel good about him and his future here with us," Lee said. "I think he has great arm talent. He can escape." 

[+] Enlargeny_a_genosts_200x300.jpg
AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)Does rookie QB Geno Smith have a long-term future with the Jets?

The Jets will soon have to decide whether they believe Smith is their answer at quarterback or whether they need to go in another direction. Smith has certainly shown during the Jets' unexpected 5-4 start why he can be a quarterback to build around, but he's also been a turnover machine through nine games. 

Lee described Smith's play as "hot and cold" thus far. He appreciated how Smith has led the team back from fourth-quarter deficits, but Lee said Smith has hurt the team at other times, mentioning the losses to Pittsburgh and Tennessee. Smith has yet to win back-to-back games. 

"I'm pleased with his progress," Lee said. "Just [would] love to see more consistency." 

Lee noted improvement in Smith's decision-making when it comes to throwing the ball away or trying to make a play. 
The coach praised Smith for throwing the ball away roughly five times in Sunday's 26-20 win over the Saints, including once late in the fourth quarter when the Jets were trying to ice the game. 

Smith has eight passing touchdowns to 13 interceptions, and in breaking down Smith's turnovers, Lee said it's a mixture of things including location and decision-making. Lee added that Smith also has freelanced at the end of some games and that has come back to haunt him. 

"At the end of the game there's times he'll leave the game plan and do too much, do things on his own, which we've had hard talks about that," Lee said. "He said, 'Coach, I did the same thing in college. I feel desperate, I feel pressured.'" 

Overall, Lee likes the way his quarterback has evolved through nine weeks. 

"Right now he's improving weekly and he improves on things he screws up, which is what's encouraging to me," Lee said. "Geno's smart. He prepares. He's in this building 6 a.m. every day. It's not a mistake he knows what he's doing, the ball comes out fast because he's preparing and knows where to go. He's worked hard."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/30728/jets-qb-coach-genos-future-is-bright

•  

In the beginning, Geno Smith clashed with his quarterbacks coach, David Lee, an old-school disciplinarian.

"We butted heads early, just like any guy coming in," Lee said Monday. "He was late for a meeting and I went nuts on him, and he had to learn, 'You're not late ever, for anything.' "

Lee is good for Smith because of his buttoned-down style -- and he also happens to be a well-regarded technician. Truth be told, the entire organization is developing Smith with a different approach than it did with Mark Sanchez in 2009. There's no coddling.

For instance:

There was concern about Smith's ability to play hurt, so when he sprained an ankle in the preseason, he wasn't allowed to take any days off. It probably slowed the recovery, but the coaches wanted to teach him a lesson.

Even though Smith is entrenched as the starter after winning the job by default, he hasn't received a long-term commitment. Technically, he's week to week. We all know it's a matter of semantics, but the braintrust feels it's important, if only symbolically, to withhold a coronation. In '09, Sanchez was handed the starting job after an abbreviated competition/charade and never felt threatened, probably not until he was benched late last season. The Jets want to make sure Smith doesn't grow up with a sense of entitlement.

In '09, Sanchez was largely insulated from the media. There was little interaction beyond the league requirement. He was granted veteran status, designated as one of the two players required to speak only once during the week. That chafed some veteran teammates. Smith is a twice-a-week guy, and he's almost always willing to go above and beyond.

Smith displays more maturity as a rookie than Sanchez did in his first few years. It's hard to imagine Smith chomping on a hot dog while sitting on the bench during a game, as Sanchez did in '09. Unlike Sanchez, a highly emotional player, Smith is even-keeled. He's such a flatliner that some teams perceived him as aloof during pre-draft interviews, which may have contributed to his slide.

"He is the calmest guy," Lee said. "I mean, he goes out in pregame warmups, he's calm. We come in, beat New England, he's just as calm as can be. I just wanted to slap him, and say, 'Hey, we won.' He's really calm, and that's a great trait to have as a quarterback with the pressure that's on all these games."

Of course, outward demeanor can be overrated. Before he won a Super Bowl, Eli Manning was deemed too stoic. Now he's Cool Hand Luke because he has a couple of Super Bowl rings. It's all about winning. Smith is 5-4 as a starter; Sanchez started 4-5 as a rookie, finishing in the AFC Championship Game. We'll see how it goes for Smith, but the early signs -- at least from an intangible standpoint -- are encouraging.

"I've always been the same person," he said. "I've always had this demeanor, and I don't think it will change ever. I don't know what it is about me. I just think it's in my mental makeup and really in my genetics to be this way."

Smith has a good teacher in Lee, who doesn't own kid gloves. He's a no-nonsense coach and won't hold back on criticism, feelings be damned.

"I'm just dead honest with him and pour out my heart, and I want him to be the same way with me," Lee said. "And I think it's why we've got a great relationship today, because we're both really honest with each other."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/30820/the-story-of-geno-and-his-position-coach

The Jets will soon have to decide whether they believe Smith is their answer at quarterback or whether they need to go in another direction. Smith has certainly shown during the Jets' unexpected 5-4 start why he can be a quarterback to build around, but he's also been a turnover machine through nine games. 

Lee described Smith's play as "hot and cold" thus far. He appreciated how Smith has led the team back from fourth-quarter deficits, but Lee said Smith has hurt the team at other times, mentioning the losses to Pittsburgh and Tennessee. Smith has yet to win back-to-back games. 

"I'm pleased with his progress," Lee said. "Just [would] love to see more consistency." 

I don't think there is ANY DOUBT that Geno is the future of the Jets at QB. That said however, if there is a good QB available in the draft take him. Competition makes everyone better - John Idzik told me so. Geno has the arm strength, the work ethic and the understanding of offense to make it big in the NFL. His struggles right now are due to him being a rookie. He WILL get better as long as Rex and Idzik don't go down the Tanny-Rex road and continue to draft questionable first round defensive players and start to build up the offense.

I don't think there is ANY DOUBT that Geno is the future of the Jets at QB. That said however, if there is a good QB available in the draft take him. Competition makes everyone better - John Idzik told me so. Geno has the arm strength, the work ethic and the understanding of offense to make it big in the NFL. His struggles right now are due to him being a rookie. He WILL get better as long as Rex and Idzik don't go down the Tanny-Rex road and continue to draft questionable first round defensive players and start to build up the offense.

..agreed !..when the time comes for us to make a pick in the draft...if there's a better qb still on the board ; pick him :winking0001:

Archived