milliner, geno, & winters

ylekram

Don't you think the QB and passing game are the reason the points scored are in the bottom 10? Geno is young and I'm not surprised he struggled, but he sure did.  I would consider ypa the most important stat for a running game and the Jets were 11th at 4.4.  I don't deny the receivers sucked and the ones that had were all hurt, but the running game was far from a problem.  I think considering how bad the passing game was, it's surprising they ran as well as they did. 

Not too pertinent to the topic, but I saw a stat today that said the Jets ran 1,051 offensive plays and there wasn't a single receiver who played more than 57% of those snaps. Not only were the receivers average at best when at full health, but the continuity was just brutal.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is dead nuts accurate. Carolina game was 16-13 until a punt block. Oakland was the turning point in Geno's season. 

And not surprisingly, it was around Oakland where we started to get the majority of our receivers healthy enough to not only play in the games, but put in practices.  As I mentioned above to Dom, Stephen Hill lead all receivers by playing 57% of the 1,051 offensive plays this year, that would hurt any QB, let alone a rookie coming from an air-raid system. 

I know it's not a great stat, but it's not surprising that the 4 games Kerley didn't play Geno's QB rating was 60 points lower than the 12 he did, not to mention the four game high to end the season. I obviously think he needs competition, but I don't anticipate any rookie QB we bring in to beat him out for the starting job week 1 and think with a full year and off-season of prep under his belt, we'll finally have a league average QB for the first time in a while. Obviously we're striving for more than league average, but from what we've had the last five years, that would seem like signing Drew Brees.

Not too pertinent to the topic, but I saw a stat today that said the Jets ran 1,051 offensive plays and there wasn't a single receiver who played more than 57% of those snaps. Not only were the receivers average at best when at full health, but the continuity was just brutal.

I think that it is funny that you took the time to quote my post and bold a portion, but didn't bold "the receivers sucked and the ones that had were all hurt"  I agree.  I think Hill is much better than he gets credit for around her and I think that the "drops" of our WRs (HIll and Gates included) were way overblown.  I hope that a lot of the offensive problems stem from a lack of continuity.  It is hard to throw when you don't know where people will be on the field.  IIRC, when the press first mentioned "benching" Hill, Mornhinweg said that they were trying to limit HIll because they were overworking him in practice and they had to be careful about it. 

I think that it is funny that you took the time to quote my post and bold a portion, but didn't bold "the receivers sucked and the ones that had were all hurt"  I agree.  I think Hill is much better than he gets credit for around her and I think that the "drops" of our WRs (HIll and Gates included) were way overblown.  I hope that a lot of the offensive problems stem from a lack of continuity.  It is hard to throw when you don't know where people will be on the field.  IIRC, when the press first mentioned "benching" Hill, Mornhinweg said that they were trying to limit HIll because they were overworking him in practice and they had to be careful about it. 

Haha I knew where the comment was in the general vicinity of the post, but I was listening to lecture at the same time and didn't double-check. I even though to myself that I probably bolded the wrong part, but oh well. 

I hope as well that the lack of continuity was a big factor for our offensive struggles and it certainly seemed like it when you look at the games Kerley missed compared to when he was there.  I also think that you and I might be the only two people on this board who think Hill is better than he gets credit for. I can remember only two blatant drops that Hill had, it was just that the one against the Pats was so blatant that it seems to have stuck with him. Hell, Calvin Johnson drops 10 times as many, but no one notices because he makes up for it with 100 yard games every week. It also seems to be the lazy way of criticizing him, because all track-star, workout warriors have to have bad hands, but that's not really what I've seen from him. I saw him dominate the gauntlet drill at the combine and hold onto some balls while getting absolutely obliterated this year: the polamalu one immediately comes to mind.

The knee injuries are becoming a legitimate concern, but I still adamantly feel that he'll put up close to 1000 yards and 6 scores if he can ever play a full season healthy. The first three weeks of this season he looked like a completely different receiver to me.

Haha I knew where the comment was in the general vicinity of the post, but I was listening to lecture at the same time and didn't double-check. I even though to myself that I probably bolded the wrong part, but oh well. 

I hope as well that the lack of continuity was a big factor for our offensive struggles and it certainly seemed like it when you look at the games Kerley missed compared to when he was there.  I also think that you and I might be the only two people on this board who think Hill is better than he gets credit for. I can remember only two blatant drops that Hill had, it was just that the one against the Pats was so blatant that it seems to have stuck with him. Hell, Calvin Johnson drops 10 times as many, but no one notices because he makes up for it with 100 yard games every week. It also seems to be the lazy way of criticizing him, because all track-star, workout warriors have to have bad hands, but that's not really what I've seen from him. I saw him dominate the gauntlet drill at the combine and hold onto some balls while getting absolutely obliterated this year: the polamalu one immediately comes to mind.

The knee injuries are becoming a legitimate concern, but I still adamantly feel that he'll put up close to 1000 yards and 6 scores if he can ever play a full season healthy. The first three weeks of this season he looked like a completely different receiver to me.

Yes.  We still need receivers (weapnz?) but I think when we get one or more these guys will see a whole lot more viable.  This board is an on/off switch.  Everybody is always on the greatest/sucks and if they aren't pro bowlers they need to be cut.  Find one guy that takes the top off a D and forces some coverages and the other guys will have trouble dealing with the speed of HIll.  The sad thing is that with Holmes on his way out they will have to replace him and I'd rather have the best of the group and have the new guy replacing Salas or Hakim.  

Yes.  We still need receivers (weapnz?) but I think when we get one or more these guys will see a whole lot more viable.  This board is an on/off switch.  Everybody is always on the greatest/sucks and if they aren't pro bowlers they need to be cut.  Find one guy that takes the top off a D and forces some coverages and the other guys will have trouble dealing with the speed of HIll.  The sad thing is that with Holmes on his way out they will have to replace him and I'd rather have the best of the group and have the new guy replacing Salas or Hakim.  

It'd be very hard to sell the fan-base on keeping Holmes after everything that went down the year prior, even if it's on an extremely lowered salary. All things being equal, you're right, it'd be better to add to the group, rather than subtracting Holmes and then adding a new player at the same time.

I would be very surprised if they didn't at least kick the tires on Maclin; I know he said his preference is to sign with philly and philly wants both he and cooper back, but I would imagine with his familiarity with Marty's system, he could replace Holmes' production pretty easily. Then go about adding someone via the draft.

Don't you think the QB and passing game are the reason the points scored are in the bottom 10? Geno is young and I'm not surprised he struggled, but he sure did.  I would consider ypa the most important stat for a running game and the Jets were 11th at 4.4.  I don't deny the receivers sucked and the ones that had were all hurt, but the running game was far from a problem.  I think considering how bad the passing game was, it's surprising they ran as well as they did. 

I absolutely do think that its the reason. I agree with that. Why is this becoming so hard to explain? lol. I never said that the running game was the problem, the running game came up when people used the running game as some sort of reason why Geno shouldnt have had a bad season. Im simply stating that the rushing game was 6th in rushing but 23rd when scoring points. I guess when you read that you figured that I was making it out that the running game was the problem, what I was really explaining was simply that the running game was "ALSO" no putting up points. And yes, the reason why was that the offense was so one-sided. The problem here is the wideouts. tight ends and the inconsistency at our guard position and in some respects D'brick as well. 

Now given that I am speaking to someone sensible such as yourself, do you know what really grinds my gears (in my peter griffin voice)? lol.

When on one side people say that you cant grade this draft class for atleast 3 years, then turn around and immediately say that Geno was the problem with the passing game and we need to draft a new QB. I find that to be absolutely ridiculous. There's nothing that one could say about Geno's game performance that I would probably disagree with, my problem is when people approach it as if he's not a rookie making a huge transition to the pros. 

I absolutely do think that its the reason. I agree with that. Why is this becoming so hard to explain? lol. I never said that the running game was the problem, the running game came up when people used the running game as some sort of reason why Geno shouldnt have had a bad season. Im simply stating that the rushing game was 6th in rushing but 23rd when scoring points. I guess when you read that you figured that I was making it out that the running game was the problem, what I was really explaining was simply that the running game was "ALSO" no putting up points. And yes, the reason why was that the offense was so one-sided. The problem here is the wideouts. tight ends and the inconsistency at our guard position and in some respects D'brick as well. 

Now given that I am speaking to someone sensible such as yourself, do you know what really grinds my gears (in my peter griffin voice)? lol.

When on one side people say that you cant grade this draft class for atleast 3 years, then turn around and immediately say that Geno was the problem with the passing game and we need to draft a new QB. I find that to be absolutely ridiculous. There's nothing that one could say about Geno's game performance that I would probably disagree with, my problem is when people approach it as if he's not a rookie making a huge transition to the pros. 

It's not a matter of grading the draft.  It's a matter of going all in on Geno and spinning our wheels (grinding our gears? whatever) for another 3 years.  

If a team isn't willing to develop talent at that position then stop drafting the position and deal with free agency and trades.

Developing a player does not mean giving them an uncontested starting job for three years.  In my opinion, they fully intended to "develop" Geno while Garrard and/or Sanchez started.  It didn't work out that way, but not necessarily from lack of trying.  

There is another option, getting lucky.  It seems to have worked for the Seahawks.  

Developing a player does not mean giving them an uncontested starting job for three years.  In my opinion, they fully intended to "develop" Geno while Garrard and/or Sanchez started.  It didn't work out that way, but not necessarily from lack of trying.  

There is another option, getting lucky.  It seems to have worked for the Seahawks.  

I never said uncontested, and you are right about the Seahawks. I'm talking about people who basically think the word is out on Geno because of this season with no weapons. That's just stupid. As for what the Jets are "actually" doing? Developing Geno is my thinking.

Archived