Where we stand on Cap Space.

eboozer

Est. Salary Cap Space:$28,689,282 - $7,353,384(2014 Rookie Pool Est.)= $21,335,898 Remaining Cap Space

Signing DeSean Jackson could be in line with Victor Cruz's contract: 4/yr. $ 8.5mil APY. In Year 3, if you decide to cut him, it wouldn't hurt too much to cut him, but encourages him to cont. performing at a high level. You guarantee about $15mil, like Cruz received, and get a 2-4 year fix at WR #1 while your 2014 1st or 2nd Rd. WR gets his bearings in the NFL.

Signing DeSean could leave us with about $12-14 mil in Cap Space to carry over to next year, where we will have total, about $55 mil in cap space BEFORE Wilkerson and his 5th yr. option, replacing(or bringing back a reduced )David Harris, and deciding what to do with Ellis and Wilson and Vick (all URFA). Snacks also a RFA(place a 2rd tender on him)

So the question is..... do we go get DeSean on a reasonable high end #2 contract(like Decker) and see how explosive our offense can be in a 2-3 yr. window with DJ?

***Estimated costs from www.Over-the-cap.com

***The maximum tender has a compensation level $3.113 million, which includes a first-round pick if another team signs that player to another offer sheet and the Jets refuse to match. The second-level tender has a compensation level of $2.187 million with a second-round pick and the third, and final tender, is the original round compensation with a $1.431 million tender. Original round is based on where that player was originally drafted into the NFL -- if he's an undrafted free agent, the original team receives no compensation if that players

This is why you can't jump into any contract. There are long term affects to every move. Let Idzik do his thing !!!!

So.... what you're saying is.... what? :confused0082:

Don't jump into any contracts?

And What thing is it that Idzik does?... Not jump into any contracts?

haha ******* google

You had me at first, too, I was trying to figure out how they could have gotten those numbers.

No, seriously, we are about $30 million under, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. That's good for the most available cap space in the league. But, you know, we need to think about extending both Wilkerson and Kerley within the next 2 years. No other team has to worry about extending young players of that magnitude within the next 2 years.

nfl.com has us as middle of the pack cap wise, a mere 3 mill over average

hmmmmm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salarycap-space-for-each-nfl-team

The $3.4mil is the carryover to 2014 FROM 2013. We still have about $30mil in space as it stands. www.overthecap.com is the best site to get complete details of everything. They may not be 100% accurate since Jason relies on published articles, and no real inside sources, but I believe his figures would only be off within a mil or two.

You had me at first, too, I was trying to figure out how they could have gotten those numbers.

No, seriously, we are about $30 million under, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. That's good for the most available cap space in the league. But, you know, we need to think about extending both Wilkerson and Kerley within the next 2 years. No other team has to worry about extending young players of that magnitude within the next 2 years.

197.gif

when-i-spend-an-hour-looking-something-u

the-annoying-poke-15349.gif

is there a sorted list that shows the teams from least amount of space to most ?

I'd be curious to see if there was a general correlation to recent success to least amount of space or most, but I suspect some of  the teams with the least amount of space have massive QB contracts

is there a sorted list that shows the teams from least amount of space to most ?

I'd be curious to see if there was a general correlation to recent success to least amount of space or most, but I suspect some of  the teams with the least amount of space have massive QB contracts

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2014

Idzik wont sign him. Thats all we need to  know. 

Fixed

The thing that gets me is that, as with Revis (and many others, surely), he didn't even bother to contact him. At least put in the effort, at least kick the tires. I don't get this approach of sitting back and praying that someone knocks down your door to play for vet minimum. It seems really unlikely to me that he could be trying to get Rex fired, but I would like to hear a better explanation for this behavior.

Fixed

The thing that gets me is that, as with Revis (and many others, surely), he didn't even bother to contact him. At least put in the effort, at least kick the tires. I don't get this approach of sitting back and praying that someone knocks down your door to play for vet minimum. It seems really unlikely to me that he could be trying to get Rex fired, but I would like to hear a better explanation for this behavior.

This situation isnt the same as Revis. The first major move Idzik did as the Jets GM was getting rid of Revis. I can see him not extending himself to Revis. Also, I think Woody played a major role in the lack of interest. Thats an assumption, but I believe it. 

As for Jackson, whether he reaches out or not is anyone's guess. One thing that I know for sure is that if Idzik signs him it will be for a reasonable price, and if he cant get that price he wont sign him. John Idzik wasnt going to give a Corner 12-16 million a year after seeing the success of Thurmond III, Browner and Richard Sherman. 

So.... what you're saying is.... what? :confused0082:

Don't jump into any contracts?

And What thing is it that Idzik does?... Not jump into any contracts?

Yeah , no jumping. Idzik's job is to manage the money as he fits the pieces in. That's what a general manager does , manage. So, it's a process , that's what I meant.

Archived