Tony Sparano is expected to replace Dennis Allen this week.

F.Chowds

LONDON — The Raiders traveled a quarter of the way around the world to discover what they probably knew all along: Head coach Dennis Allendoesn’t have any answers on how to turn around this team.

He said as much after a 38-14 loss to the Miami Dolphins in front of 83,436 fans at Wembley Stadium on Sunday. He pointed to the upcoming bye week for the team to “evaluate everything that we’re doing.”

But the evaluation is in. The Raiders couldn’t move the ball again and couldn’t stop the other team again, and are 0-4 after the easy part of their schedule. Oakland has lost 10 straight games under Allen and is 8-28 in his three years.

Sunday was rock bottom. After bolting to a 7-0 lead, the Raiders gave up 38 straight points on the world stage.

Many people inside the organization don’t expect Allen to be at the podium when the Raiders host their weekly news conference Tuesday. The team leaves London early Monday morning, and it would be a shocker if general manager Reggie McKenzie once again could talk owner Mark Davis out of firing Allen.

According to sources, offensive line coach and former Miami head coach Tony Sparano is expected to replace Allen. Sparano is the only assistant coach on staff who has a contract for next season.

Davis’ main problem with Allen, besides all the losses and the first-year complaints of a lack of fire, is that Allen is supposed to be a good defensive coach from his days with the Saints and as defensive coordinator with the Broncos. But the Raiders stink defensively. They have the past two seasons, and this year — with some accomplished, albeit older, free-agent signees — they stink again.

The Dolphins’ Ryan Tannehill came to town clinging to his starting-quarterback job, and the Raiders made him look like an athletic Peyton Manning.

Tannehill had all day to throw and open receivers to throw to, and was 20-for-25 for 247 yards and two touchdowns through three quarters. That’s when the Dolphins turned off the key, up 38-7. Tannehill also ran for 35 yards, as Miami averaged 6.1 yards a carry through three quarters.

Lamar Miller had 64 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries, and Daniel Thomas ran the ball five times for 35 yards. The European fans were wondering how they hadn’t heard of these superstars before, Tannehill and Miller.

More than a couple of times, the Dolphins bunched three receivers on one side of the field, lined up against two Oakland defenders. It’s a wonder Davis didn’t jump from the owners’ box.

Davis and McKenzie weren’t available for comment after the game and Allen said, “that’s not my concern” when asked about his job security.

What should be concerning is that of 15 players asked after the game, only three argued against a coaching change. The rest essentially shrugged:

“I have nothing to do with that,” fullback Marcel Reece said. “I put all of my trust in the owner and general manager to make those decisions.”

Center Stefen Wisniewski said he would “support whoever the head coach is. It’s not up to me to make those decisions.”

“That’s a hard question to answer,” cornerback Charles Woodson said, when asked if he thought Allen would be back after the bye week.

“I don’t know,” defensive end LaMarr Woodley said. “That’s a front-office decision.”

Defensive end Justin Tuck declined interview requests.

Maurice Jones-DrewAntonio Smith and Carlos Rogers were the only ones who said Allen should not be fired.

“He’s not playing,” Jones-Drew said. “How can that help? He’s not on the field.”

Rogers took it a step further.

“When you don’t play physical, it has nothing to do with the coaches,” Rogers said. “What did the coaches do so spectacular last week, that we came out and played physical?

“This week, we can’t stop anybody. Has nothing to do with coaches.”

One could argue it might, especially considering the Raiders came to London on Monday, four days before the Dolphins, to beat the jet lag. And the refreshed players knew it was a “must-win” game for their season and Allen’s coaching career, and they still laid an egg.

“It’s embarrassing to us, to our owner, to our fans,” Reece said. “We had so many fans come out here and make this trip and we didn’t give them anything to cheer for. That’s terrible.”

Sparano is one of those guys who is much better served to be a HC than a OC/DC. The guy is probably a good line coach, but is not qualified in any way to be an OC.

If he has decent coordinators, he can probably be a decent HC.

Some guys are good coordinators and bad HC's

Some guys are bad coordinators and good HC's

Agreed. Sporano as HC isn't terrible. He's a master motivator and got more out of his Miami team than their collective talent level. He isn't a very good OC, but it cracks me up to hear Rex fans criticize him when he's the exact same type of head coach as Rex (except he was able to field both a good offense and defense, while also winning the division).

Sparano is one of those guys who is much better served to be a HC than a OC/DC. The guy is probably a good line coach, but is not qualified in any way to be an OC.

If he has decent coordinators, he can probably be a decent HC.

Some guys are good coordinators and bad HC's

Some guys are bad coordinators and good HC's

I used to think this too. Then I saw yet another OC come to the Jets under Rex and run the same dumb plays.

I used to think this too. Then I saw yet another OC come to the Jets under Rex and run the same dumb plays.

I have never been a fan of Schotty, and Morningwood has never proven anything has Reid was the real OC in Philly, but common, Sparano was historically bad as an OC.

I have never been a fan of Schotty, and Morningwood has never proven anything has Reid was the real OC in Philly, but common, Sparano was historically bad as an OC.

Idk, they have kind of run the same stuff since Rex got here. The wildcat at bad times during the game, QB draws near the goal line, the constant screen passes, etc. It's really been the same since Rex got here.

Archived